SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:39 PM   #1
NovaScotian
NovaScotian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i2 Base - Impact over rough Terrain

What is the i2 base made of? I am surprised the casing around the wheel motors does not break. The X2 I can understand the bigger tires absorbing the shock.

However, referring to the i2 consider the weight of the rider plus the weight of the Segway, you would think if you drove off a curb (by accident) the impact of the 4, 5, or 6 inch drop would snap the metal housing. Has anyone experienced damage to their base from riding over rugged terrain? Just how rugged is the i2?
NovaScotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 07:47 PM   #2
sholloway
sholloway will become famous soon enoughsholloway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

If I remember correctly it takes 6000 pounds of force to crush the base!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #3
byped
byped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of lightbyped is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sholloway View Post
If I remember correctly it takes 6000 pounds of force to crush the base!

Betcha you get a pinch flat first!
Old 10-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #4
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The platform is made of die-cast aluminum. It is VERY strong. Segway has very high specifications for strength and safety and corresponding rigorous testing to make sure the Segway's parts will hold up.

The motors do not drive the wheels directly. The motors are secured inside the base where they are protected from the elements and the chassis acts as a heat sink. The motors are connected to the gear boxes which are bolted to the edged of the platform. The wheels mount on the output shaft from the gearboxes.

Very sturdy stuff. I have taken apart a gearbox and am very impressed with the size and quality of the gears and bearings and shafts. I doubt that my car has such good stuff in it.

I have dropped down many curbs and stairs without a problem. In all of my time in the Segway community, I have never heard of anyone breaking a gearbox or platform.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:09 PM   #5
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
What is the i2 base made of? I am surprised the casing around the wheel motors does not break. The X2 I can understand the bigger tires absorbing the shock.

However, referring to the i2 consider the weight of the rider plus the weight of the Segway, you would think if you drove off a curb (by accident) the impact of the 4, 5, or 6 inch drop would snap the metal housing. Has anyone experienced damage to their base from riding over rugged terrain? Just how rugged is the i2?
Amazingly rugged. I flew off a 12 inch curb at about 11 mph and landed with no problems.

SEGsby
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:43 AM   #6
bystander
bystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to allbystander is a name known to all

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post

This is an old news item referring to the gen1.

http://www.alunet.net/shownews.asp?ID=900&type=1

The i2 chassis is substantially similar to the gen1. So it may not be exactly as strong as the gen1 (withstands seven tons of force), but is certainty in the same ballpark.

The i2 has two side spacers on it that make direct strength comparisons with the gen1 non-trivial. But I've never heard of a chassis "snapping".
bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
NovaScotian
NovaScotian is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks for your feed back. It's reasurring to know just how well built the Segway is.
NovaScotian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEGsby View Post
Amazingly rugged. I flew off a 12 inch curb at about 11 mph and landed with no problems.
Surely you weren't on your Segway at the time? That's wicked! Bet you wouldn't try it again... go on, I dare you!
Old 10-23-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
Stan671
Stan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to allStan671 is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The basic chassis (platform without extenders) is identical from Gen 1 to Gen 2. I would not expect there to be any strength difference. The bolt-on extenders for Gen 2 are another story. But I have faith that Segway made those just as strong as the chassis and gearbox that they connect together.
Old 10-23-2006, 08:50 PM   #10
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I was on it and felt the drop before I knew what I had done... The landing was amazingly smooth, with no wierdness.

Try again? Ah, no. Polo was bad enough on Sunday...

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbrandwood View Post
Surely you weren't on your Segway at the time? That's wicked! Bet you wouldn't try it again... go on, I dare you!
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote