SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM   #21
DaiPlusPlus
DaiPlusPlus is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Like said before, the clunking is gear lash.
Is the gear-lash normal?
DaiPlusPlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:03 PM   #22
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaiPlusPlus View Post
Is the gear-lash normal?
You have lots of questions.

Why not just take this one back to your seller, and glide around on 3 or 4 others of the same model from the same seller.

That will tell you more about what you are hearing, than anybody else can tell you.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:10 PM   #23
DaiPlusPlus

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
You have lots of questions.

Why not just take this one back to your seller, and glide around on 3 or 4 others of the same model from the same seller.

That will tell you more about what you are hearing, than anybody else can tell you.
My seller/dealer is a 4-5 hour trip away - 10 hours return.
Old 09-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #24
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
My seller/dealer is a 4-5 hour trip away - 10 hours return.
Yes. I understand that. But your Segway needs to go back to the dealer, in any case. You know that.

A certain amount of "whirring" noise is normal when the Segway is powered on but not moving.

A certain amount of "gear lash" is normal when the Segway is moving. As is a small amount of "creaking" and other sounds. But other sounds are not normal.

I didn't hear anything very unusual in the video you posted. But I may have missed hearing something.

So, that's my analysis. Hope it helps.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:08 PM   #25
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

I will echo the other replies. The whirring and clacking sounds are completely normal. The only issue you have is the error code / shutdown.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:48 AM   #26
Kirk
Kirk is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

You can recreate the gear noise with the machine off by pushing/pulling the Segway around by the handlebars...this will isolate this particular sound and allow you to differentiate between the gear noise and any other sound you might be hearing. There is another sound that emulates the gear noise- the start of stick shake- sometimes it will make that sound if you are backing up and things get a little awkward- the machine might complain a little.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:45 AM   #27
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

It all sounds fine/normal to me.
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 11:52 PM   #28
DaiPlusPlus

5 yr Member

Ugh, bad day today

I'll preface my post by confirming my idiocy. I made the assumption that because the E08E errors hadn't been a problem for the past week, that everything was okay until I get it replaced on Friday. However I am am impatient soul.

I had a couple of E08E errors this afternoon, including the unit refusing to turn on at all. Then I did something stupid: I tried to ride it to the gym (about 2 miles away). It shut-down at least 7 times in those 2 miles, twice while I was crossing a busy intersection (!!). It's no fun having to quickly dismount and drag the heavy PT off the road, while onlookers in cars roll their eyes... at rush-hour too, no-less.

To make matters worse: to get to the bicycle storage area of the gym (where I could lock my Segway) from the pedestrian entrance you have to go down a stairwell. The PT shut down an eighth time half-way down the steps, causing me to lose control (no power-assist) and it slipped down 3 steps at once and bashed my left shin, leaving a massive welt (I'll go to the hospital tomorrow to see if I have any hairline fractures).

At that point I gave up. I dragged it to the bicycle rack and called for a friend to pick me up (and there was some trouble there too - my company's Lync system had failed). After taking 3 people to lift the PT into the car's trunk I'm now back at home with my Segway still in the car, now waiting for a contact of mine to take it down to Portland.

I've learned my lesson. I won't ride an error-flashing Segway again
Old 09-09-2014, 08:28 AM   #29
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Ugh, bad day today

I'll preface my post by confirming my idiocy. I made the assumption that because the E08E errors hadn't been a problem for the past week, that everything was okay until I get it replaced on Friday. However I am am impatient soul.

I had a couple of E08E errors this afternoon, including the unit refusing to turn on at all. Then I did something stupid: I tried to ride it to the gym (about 2 miles away). It shut-down at least 7 times in those 2 miles, twice while I was crossing a busy intersection (!!). It's no fun having to quickly dismount and drag the heavy PT off the road, while onlookers in cars roll their eyes... at rush-hour too, no-less.

To make matters worse: to get to the bicycle storage area of the gym (where I could lock my Segway) from the pedestrian entrance you have to go down a stairwell. The PT shut down an eighth time half-way down the steps, causing me to lose control (no power-assist) and it slipped down 3 steps at once and bashed my left shin, leaving a massive welt (I'll go to the hospital tomorrow to see if I have any hairline fractures).

At that point I gave up. I dragged it to the bicycle rack and called for a friend to pick me up (and there was some trouble there too - my company's Lync system had failed). After taking 3 people to lift the PT into the car's trunk I'm now back at home with my Segway still in the car, now waiting for a contact of mine to take it down to Portland.

I've learned my lesson. I won't ride an error-flashing Segway again
Very sorry to hear all your troubles....We all were very concerned of your error code.....
They are great units and I hope you are not soured on the product....
Hope you heal quickly
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #30
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:

I've learned my lesson.
Which one of the ten shutdowns caused that?

Seriously, I'm glad you survived. Several of those could have been even more serious. You don't need any injuries, and Segway certainly doesn't need any adverse publicity.

I hope this is an isolated problem with one machine, and not some general problem with the i2-SE. If the dealer actually (publicly) does any diagnosis, please let us know.

Tags
i2se