SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #11
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
and why should you care? Are you not the one who only cares about capitalism and you get your product as cheap as possible? Not trying to be harsh but you could care less as long as you get what you want cheap....?
Because I am a curious and scientifically-minded person? Been Koolaid-free for several years now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:58 PM   #12
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
Because I am a curious and scientifically-minded person? Been Koolaid-free for several years now.
Understood. It's quite possible to search through the database of patents, to see what Segway has patented. I just don't happen to have the time to do that right now.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #13
JW Hunter
JW Hunter is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

It would probably be much simpler to just get a copy of the lawsuit...it's public now that it's filed
JW Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Yes. From http://www.itcblog.com/segway-files-...l-transporters

The complaint alleges that the following entities (collectively, the "Proposed Respondents") unlawfully import into the U.S., sell for importation, and/or sell within the U.S. after importation certain personal transporters, components thereof, and manuals relating thereto that infringe one or more claims of U.S. Patent Nos. 6,789,640 (the '640 patent); 7,275,607 (the '607 patent); D551,722 (the '722 patent); and D551,592 (the '592 patent) (collectively, the "asserted patents") and U.S. Copyright Reg. No. TX 7-800-563 (the "asserted copyright"):

According to the complaint, the asserted patents generally relate to various control functions of the Segway Personal Transporter that ensure safety and enjoyment for the user, as well as various ornamental features of Segway's unique transporter designs. In particular, the '640 patent relates to methods and apparatuses for yaw (or turning) control of a balancing transporter while maintaining the safe balance of the transporter. The '607 patent relates to improved controllers for a transporter. The '722 and '592 patents are design patents that relate to an ornamental design for a personal transporter. Lastly, the asserted copyright relates to Segway's creative expression embodied in manuals for its personal transporters.

(for more, follow the link)
Old 09-13-2014, 12:40 AM   #15
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
I wonder, is it possible for another company to create what is legally considered an EPAMD.

"(46.04.1695) "Electric personal assistive mobility device"
(EPAMD) means a self-balancing device with two wheels not in
tandem, designed to transport only one person by an electric
propulsion system with an average power of seven hundred fifty
watts (one horsepower) having a maximum speed on a paved level
surface, when powered solely by such a propulsion system while
ridden by an operator weighing one hundred seventy pounds, of less
than twenty miles per hour. "

Is it possible for another company to create an EPAMD without infringing?
Is it possible to create a device that complies with your paragraph above that does not infringe? OF COURSE!

It could have two wheels and comply with all the above, yet be a seated device, that uses a joystick for controls, instead of your balance. It would still be self balancing, but the controls would be different. No infringement.

I believe this question is designed to spur conversation and controversy, especially considering some previous statements in support of some of the copy cat machines. It seems a bit trollish to me.

The lawsuit, as described in this thread (I have no more information, nor do I care to spend any time to research any more) alleges that some specific controls and mechanisms were copied. I say let the lawyers argue it, and let the truth win out!

We can play word games all we like, but most of us on this thread and this forum already call them knock offs and copies of segways. It seems odd that we would call them that, and then say that the Segway Inc. does not have the right to consider them knock offs and copies of segways as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:40 AM   #16
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
I wonder, is it possible for another company to create what is legally considered an EPAMD.
Gee, I just thought it was another dumb question.

...but it did cause me to do some interesting research.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:43 PM   #17
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Is it possible to create a device that complies with your paragraph above that does not infringe? OF COURSE!

It could have two wheels and comply with all the above, yet be a seated device, that uses a joystick for controls, instead of your balance. It would still be self balancing, but the controls would be different. No infringement.

I believe this question is designed to spur conversation and controversy, especially considering some previous statements in support of some of the copy cat machines. It seems a bit trollish to me.

The lawsuit, as described in this thread (I have no more information, nor do I care to spend any time to research any more) alleges that some specific controls and mechanisms were copied. I say let the lawyers argue it, and let the truth win out!

We can play word games all we like, but most of us on this thread and this forum already call them knock offs and copies of segways. It seems odd that we would call them that, and then say that the Segway Inc. does not have the right to consider them knock offs and copies of segways as well.

The purpose of my question was to spark a conversation that leads all the participants to the truth.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote