SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-21-2014, 01:42 AM   #1
zigimir
zigimir is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink What to do with 2 Segs

Hello All,

Help! I have two (actually one and a half ) Segways (they’re Gen 1's I believe). I don't know anything about them. I was thinking I would try to fix them and get them to a functional state but unfortunately, that's not going to happen. What I can tell you about the units is the following: there's two full bottom units, wheels, gears, circuit boards,etc... One set of batteries (2 pieces), I think their dead. There's one handle bars unit, but without the key features. The pictures in this case say a thousands words which I have of course. The units must have some value to someone, I was hoping someone could offer a suggestions to their value and if someone interested make an offer. I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Terry
zigimir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigimir View Post
Hello All,

Help! I have two (actually one and a half ) Segways (they’re Gen 1's I believe). I don't know anything about them. I was thinking I would try to fix them and get them to a functional state but unfortunately, that's not going to happen. What I can tell you about the units is the following: there's two full bottom units, wheels, gears, circuit boards,etc... One set of batteries (2 pieces), I think their dead. There's one handle bars unit, but without the key features. The pictures in this case say a thousands words which I have of course. The units must have some value to someone, I was hoping someone could offer a suggestions to their value and if someone interested make an offer. I appreciate any feedback, thanks.

Terry
shipping is always the killer...May I suggest serial numbers and lots of pictures would be a great start... They have some value, but not functioning sure decreases there worth....If you don't find anyone here that is interested Ebay is a very good outlet....Good luck
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Hello All,

Terry
How did you wind up with this lot of segway parts? Is there a potential to go to the same source and get the rest?

Also, gen 1 machines have a key port on the handlebar, so you may have some parts from gen 2 as well. We need to see the pictures to know.

Also, there may be a minimum number of posts before you can post pictures. I am not sure. Just be aware that new members have restrictions on their account. I believe this is to prevent people from stealing a segway and trying to post a sale for it here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I was wondering this same thing - like, "Where do Segways go when they die?"

I'm planning on moving soon and I need to do something about the first-gen sitting in my garage. I think it might just need a battery revival, and I'm planning on trying to get one for it, but if that doesn't work, I don't know what to do.

Even if that does work, demand for even functional first-gen Segways seems to be waning a little bit.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
zigimir

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Wink reply to questons

Hi all,
Thank you for your replies.
I originally found these units at the local “swap-shop”, a special area at our local recycling center. I was surprise to find them there (I swap stuff all the time) but was over the moon in thinking I was going to have my own segway. I was hoping to get at lease one fully functional (I'm fairly handy with tools and I love segways) but I came to realize it would probably cost me much more then I could possibly afford right now. Checking Ebay confirmed my realization, I was surprised to see the price for segway parts, thus, my inquire to the community. These units must have some value to someone.. I'm open to all suggestions and responses.
I don't know much about the forum's policy regarding posting and such, but, If I can I will reply with pictures and number as you suggested.
Thanks
Regards
Terry
Old 04-21-2014, 04:33 PM   #6
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Terry,

This seems a reasonable response, and I got your PM (Private message).

I agree with you, I am sure what you have is worth something to the right person.

One special thing about the Gen 1 machines (that you may have) is that they can use NiMH batteries. Most modern segways use Lithium batteries. The older battery technology allows people to fly with the segways, where new segways cannot use these batteries, and therefore cannot fly on commercial aircraft.

Anyone who uses their segway for mobility for their disability, will want to keep their gen one segways in good shape, and may want your machines for parts.

There is another consideration you may want to make.

There is a great charity called Segs-4-Vets. They are a private charity that gives segways to disabled veterans to aide them with mobility. It is possible they would appreciate a donation of these segway parts to keep their fleet up and running as well. Like you said, segways and segway parts are expensive. (I do not know if they will take or can use segway parts, but offered the suggestion as I have worked with them in the past, and they are a really great bunch of people doing a valuable and worthy thing...)

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
zigimir

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Karl,

Thank you for your good advice. Good to know about the vet group I've never heard of them. My wife works for Harbor Homes an agency that works for vets in need, maybe there a connection there. I'll still try to post the pictures just in cast. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Regards
Terry
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #8
KSagal

Quote:
Karl,

Thank you for your good advice. Good to know about the vet group I've never heard of them. My wife works for Harbor Homes an agency that works for vets in need, maybe there a connection there. I'll still try to post the pictures just in cast. Anyway, thanks again for your help.

Regards
Terry
I do not know the timeframe or amount of posts required before you can post pictures. You should try to use the "photos" tab in the blue border at upper right.

You may also use another site, like photobucket, to get them on line. Once on line, you may be able to post them in here on this site...

Old 04-23-2014, 01:30 AM   #9
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I believe the post limit is 5 or 10 posts.
This is in place so a member cannot sign up and spam the boards with links/embedded images.

Many people own gen ones and are looking for whole units for the parts.
I'd first get some pictures up and hopefully someone will contact you about purchasing parts or whole.

I for one own three gen 1 PTs, and am always looking for parts.

Cheers!
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote