SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 04-19-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Smile riding X2on sand at waters edge?

hi is it going to not be a good idea? my question is how are the seals against fine flowerbeach sand and salt water i probably wont risk itbut want to ask. there seem to be vent slots in the batteries are they ok with an occasional puddle splash?i see videos of them being driven in wet conditions and at the ocean edge on the harder sand, im sure i will be caught by that sneaker wave once in a while anyone know how the gaskets and seals do on the newest X2adventure models?
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 12:30 AM   #2
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
hi is it going to not be a good idea? my question is how are the seals against fine flowerbeach sand and salt water i probably wont risk itbut want to ask. there seem to be vent slots in the batteries are they ok with an occasional puddle splash?i see videos of them being driven in wet conditions and at the ocean edge on the harder sand, im sure i will be caught by that sneaker wave once in a while anyone know how the gaskets and seals do on the newest X2adventure models?
Those "vents" are mostly for looks, they serve no major purpose other than to look good, and give a little aeration between the batteries, but dirt and other materials can get in there and need to be cleaned out once in a while.

If a little "splash" is of concern, be concerned no more, as the Segway is sealed for rain and minor water, however it is NOT sealed for submersion.

As there are no exposed gears or electronics, sand won't hurt at all, but you should clean it to prevent buildup once in a while.

Just remove the wheels and use some pressurised air around the base after going in sand, and you won't have any problems.

The only thing to worry about is submerging the batteries, as it is possible for water to breach the seals and enter the Segway and the batteries.

End result/prognosis:

If you want to, take the Segway in the sand, it's fine, but don't go in any water deeper than 3-4 inches, and when you're done riding in sand, use pressurised air in most of the crevices near the base to get any dirt out.
If you do accidentally submerge the Segway, immediately remove the batteries and dry before attempting to use the Segway again.

Have fun, and be careful, sand is a good cushion to falls, but it's also easier to get stuck.

Last edited by Tritium; 04-19-2014 at 12:35 AM..
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:30 AM   #3
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

My Segway commutes via ferry, and is regularly doused or even drenched in saltwater spray. It's still intact after years of such treatment.

Sand is OK, too, but beware of very soft and loose sand; it can be hard to deal with, and you can get mired down. (Though the Segway is very stable while mired down in soft sand). If you sink down the platform, there's no way out butt to step off and get it back up onto the surface of the sand again.

Ordinarily, I'd just say, "go for it anyway, and have fun". But if this is the ocean you're dealing with, remember that waves are a bit unpredictable, not to mention powerboat wakes, etc. So don't get stuck where you might end up getting into 6" of water.

Most, but not all, beaches, are quite firm enough for comfortable travel, even with an i2. Just be aware of the situation, and if it's really soft sand, don't try playing tag with the waves!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:04 PM   #4
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

all good suggestions thanks a cane on sand isnt fun,
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:18 PM   #5
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
all good suggestions thanks a cane on sand isnt fun,
I have had my Segway get stuck in the sand one too many times. I always have had an able bodied friend along to drag it back to safety for me.

For me, walking in sand is MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than walking on firm surfaces, it's no longer worth the effort of having to walk back when I get stuck.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hey Jeff,

Try an X2/XT. I gave tours on Fort Myers Beach with X2's at 4#'s pressure and never got stuck. Most of the time you couldn't tell you were on sand.

Hate to see you give up the beach entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
I have had my Segway get stuck in the sand one too many times. I always have had an able bodied friend along to drag it back to safety for me.

For me, walking in sand is MUCH MUCH MUCH harder than walking on firm surfaces, it's no longer worth the effort of having to walk back when I get stuck.

jeff
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by noalox View Post
Hey Jeff,

Try an X2/XT. I gave tours on Fort Myers Beach with X2's at 4#'s pressure and never got stuck. Most of the time you couldn't tell you were on sand.

Hate to see you give up the beach entirely.
Interesting... I've tried X2 turf and regular X2 tires with the same results. Perhaps the problem is my lard-***-attitude-ness

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:40 PM   #8
noalox
noalox is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Interesting... I've tried X2 turf and regular X2 tires with the same results. Perhaps the problem is my lard-***-attitude-ness

jeff
LOL! Didn't seem to mind my 215.
noalox is offline   Reply With Quote