SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-28-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
jimmiem
jimmiem is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default i2 or x2?

I bought my first Segway in October, a used x2. It's in very nice shape but I like shiny new things. I got such a good deal on it that I think I can make a profit when I sell it.

I put on some aftermarket tires that are larger than stock and now when I glide with the stock tires I feel bogged down, like I can get enough speed. I would also like a set of i2 wheels for indoor use, but since they are smaller than the x2 tires I don't know if I can live with the reduction in speed. No, I don't need the speed for indoor use but it wouldn't be used exclusively indoors.

I've never ridden an i2 but from what I gather they are less forgiving on bumpy terrain.

I ride offroad a lot. If I get an i2 and convert it to an x2 will it be frustrating to ride offroad? Or should I stick with an x2 and just live with the speed reduction when riding the i2 wheels? Is there another tire/wheel option that would be practical for indoor use but be larger than the stock i2 wheels?
jimmiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I have the X2...I feel it is a bit slow(depends on terrain!) Yep that i2 modified with new rims and tires will go faster...But as for beating on or catching air intentional or not...no clue how it would do...

I have i2 rims with irc tires... it is slower and noticeable....And you really feel the cracks on the sidewalks...works great for a bus tho....

I don't think it is a cheap endeavor to get rims tires and grab bars and fenders....IDK $800 or more?

Tell us what you do, and how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiem View Post
I bought my first Segway in October, a used x2. It's in very nice shape but I like shiny new things. I got such a good deal on it that I think I can make a profit when I sell it.

I put on some aftermarket tires that are larger than stock and now when I glide with the stock tires I feel bogged down, like I can get enough speed. I would also like a set of i2 wheels for indoor use, but since they are smaller than the x2 tires I don't know if I can live with the reduction in speed. No, I don't need the speed for indoor use but it wouldn't be used exclusively indoors.

I've never ridden an i2 but from what I gather they are less forgiving on bumpy terrain.

I ride offroad a lot. If I get an i2 and convert it to an x2 will it be frustrating to ride offroad? Or should I stick with an x2 and just live with the speed reduction when riding the i2 wheels? Is there another tire/wheel option that would be practical for indoor use but be larger than the stock i2 wheels?
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #3
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Mine is a Gen1 - an i170 - but I did the conversion to XT and then put some nice looking wheels and tires on it. It is faster because the diameter of the tire is larger than the stock i170 tire and even a tiny bit larger than the stock XT. My neighbor is a CHP and he hit me with radar one day and said I was doing 18. I said all you cops are alike - I couldn't have been going any faster than... 17.

As much as I like the fatties, I usually only use them for car shows and other extended outdoor events. I use my seg for a mobility aide, so I am indoors a lot. I found some great motorcycle tires that fit the stock rims and the overall diameter is 21", so I'm still going 17 top speed... or 18 maybe. Can't mount the fenders over the motorcycle tires though.

Les Schwab mounts all my wheels and tires and will check my air regularly. They have been very generous in their pricing too, but they can't supply the actual tires or wheels - those are ATV or motorcycle items. I think you're way off at $800.00 though. I know the Segway gear is pricey, but ATV or motorcycle wheels and tires ain't. I think the most I've paid for a single tire is about 80 bucks and the wheels are about that too, or less. I think the XT hubs were only about 60. I don't remember what the bars and fenders were, but I don't use them anymore anyway. I get a little dirty in the rain or wet weather, but it's really nothing compared to how dirty you can get in a lot of other sports and activities.

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 PM   #4
jimmiem
jimmiem is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Those motorcycle tires look great! Do you have the exact sizes?
jimmiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 07:53 PM   #5
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

They are 14" rims. I bought 120/80-14s.
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote