SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:20 PM   #1
johnson.mke
johnson.mke is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default PT Identification from MOD number

Greetings,

I have a Segway PT 1 gen with MOD #1680400007 I am looking for what information that would give me about the unit.

I have read a lot of the information on this forum and learned a lot. I do not have keys for the unit and need to have some made. I saw in detail how keys can be copied and how it can change performance and turning. It looked like the programmers talked about used old style com ports that my computer does not have is there newer equipment to do this?

How can I make a key without one to copy?

Thanks
johnson.mke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:11 PM   #2
dorrington
dorrington is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

USB to serial for the com.port cheep as chips on ebay
dorrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 PM   #3
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Somewhere on the forum, there is a serial number decoder post, which will give you some info about the Seg, such as when it was manufactured (prior to August 2006, I would wager), but just having key-making software won't do it. The keys require a special code that is unique to each individual Segway PT.

If you are the registered owner, you can contact Segway, Inc. or possibly some dealers to get new keys. If you're not registered with Segway, Inc. you'll probably have to prove ownership.

"Black keys" are reduced speed and turning. "Red keys" are full performance. If the machine is for your own use, and you only have one type of key made, make it the red key. You'll want full capability, after only 30 minutes of practice.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 11:30 PM   #4
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

Not much information is available from the MOD number. About all I can tell from the Mod Number is that the first three numbers 168 tell you that you have a model I-168. This was the first model sold. I don't know the meaning of the rest of the Mod number.

More useful info comes from the Serial Number which is different. If you find your serial number this info would be helpful.

Structure of Serial Numbers: YY2WW1NNNNNN

YY: Year of manufacture (07 = 2007)

P: Manufacturing Plant (1 Manchester NH, 2 Bedford NH) All shipping units are most likely 2

WW: Week of manufacture (01...52)

1: Always "1" so far

NNNNNN: Real serial number, started with 000001 in March 2002 and incremented by one with each Segway produced.
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

What about the i167?

Also interesting is the "2007" manufacturing date. I'm pretty sure that Segway shut down production of all the non-leansteer models before they introduced the i2/x2 models, in July/August 2006.
Old 01-21-2016, 01:13 PM   #6
Civicsman

5 yr Member

"More useful info comes from the Serial Number which is different. "

I should read more carefully!