SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Ratings and Reviews > Accessories for Your Segway

Notices

Accessories for Your Segway Rate and review various accessories available for your Segway.

Comment

Review Tools Display Modes
Segway Ramp Kit
Segway Ramp Kit
quade
Published by quade
03-25-2008
Author rating
Work as described?
100%100%100%
Enhances Segway experience?
100%100%100%
Shipping and instructions
60%60%60%
Recommend to a friend?
100%100%100%
Average 90%
Default Segway Ramp Kit

Segway Ramp Kit

The Segway i2 weighs in at a rather hefty 105 pounds. Lifting all that weight by yourself into the back of your car is just asking for trouble. I mean, come on, it's not like it's a set of barbells and most car trunks require considerable maneuvering and gymnastics to get over bumpers and whatnot.

Segway's solution is a very nice set of ramps; well constructed with a lip at the top that hangs on the the lip of your trunk. On my car, it works out great as the ramp never touches the paint of the car. Obviously, your milage may vary.

Tthe documentation that comes with the ramp kit states loading the Segway into the car is still a two person job and should never be done while the device is under power. Ok, clearly the advise from Segway comes from their legal department, but come on, that's what I got the ramps for! So I could load the thing by myself and not have to use a whole lot of muscle to do it.

One small bit of advice in using them. If you have a small tape measure, you'll notice the distance from centerline to center line of each wheel is a certain distance. When setting up the ramps, take the tape measure and make sure both the top and bottom of the ramps centers are also spaced apart this same distance.

I would not advise trying to ride up the ramps, but if the ramps are spaced properly, I find it's pretty easy to load the device while it is in Riderless Balance Mode.

And they work pretty darn well, are ruggedly constructed and nicely finished.

About the only bad thing I have to say is that they do seem a bit expensive for the function.
Member rating
Work as described?
75%75%75%
80%80%80%
80%80%80%
Recommend to a friend?
100%100%100%
5 users rated 84% average

Review Tools

Latest 5 reviews
By SegwayJay on 03-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Member reviews
Work as described?
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
60%60%60%
Recommend to a friend?
100%100%100%
Average 90%

I bought the ramps about 2 months ago and have only had the opportunity to use them a couple of times (it's still winter in Massachusetts), but those few times they were a life saver.

And yes, riderless balance mode makes the Seg glide up the ramp and into the back of my SUV almost effortless.

And yes, a bit pricey, but worth the saved back.

....SegwayJay
By segaddict on 07-17-2008, 11:44 PM

The ramps solve the problem of getting the Segway into your trunk, but certainly not getting it out, which then requires a somewhat bent over lift of 8" -14" depending on the depth of your trunk.

The cost is also ridiculous. a small set of folding motorcycle ramps will save about $150.
By Rusty Hemenway on 08-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Default Ramp Kit

I have a Ford Escape Hybrid. I don't see any "lip" that you could hook these over. Has anybody made these work with a small SUV?

Rusty
By gbrandwood on 08-02-2008, 12:31 PM
Member reviews
Work as described?
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
100%100%100%
Recommend to a friend?
100%100%100%
Average 100%

The ramps I had were slightly different to those pictured, they are either newer ones or older ones. They had holes in them, which I guess possible makes them slightly lighter (slightly!), helps dispurse water if your wheels are wet and a possible 3rd benefit might be to increase grip if the rubber on the tyres dips in them (which they will).

Other than that, they're the same. They come in a nice carry bag and stack snugly on top of each other. My only gripe, apart from the high cost, is that they are very heavy - this of course makes them strong, but I'm sure a lighter material could have been used.

Another way to keep them evenly spaced is also to use two pieces of string. That way they're always equal and always right for your seg.

An XT or x2 might not sit in the well equally good as the p133/i2/i167-i180, but would still climb in.

See them in action, on my old i2, in the following video (I used riderless balance mode to effortlessly get the i2 into the boot/trunk of my estate.

By seaslug on 08-10-2008, 03:27 PM

It looks like I'm going to have to get these, or something like. Lifting my i2 into the trunk of my Toyota Camry isn't going to work out. Anyone ever used these on a recent Toyota Camry or similar?
By bentbiker on 08-10-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaslug View Post
It looks like I'm going to have to get these, or something like. Lifting my i2 into the trunk of my Toyota Camry isn't going to work out. Anyone ever used these on a recent Toyota Camry or similar?
The problem with any ramp for use with a trunk is that it is difficult to get the unit OUT of the trunk. You need a short ramp inside the trunk unless it is one of the few cars with a trunk lid that comes all the way down to the floor, leaving no lip.
By seaslug on 08-10-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentbiker View Post
The problem with any ramp for use with a trunk is that it is difficult to get the unit OUT of the trunk. You need a short ramp inside the trunk unless it is one of the few cars with a trunk lid that comes all the way down to the floor, leaving no lip.
Well, there isn't much of a lip to get the thing over, as long as the ramps won't get knocked out of place as I'm lifting it onto them from the trunk. Most of my problem is working my way too and from ground level.
By renevous on 02-09-2009, 08:53 PM

With the ram that clip at the end of the boot.. does it actually scratch the car or dent the car? I suppose for a SUV is easy to do it. But if it is a sedan will have big problem. Not much if it is going in.. but when you wanted to unload.. there may have a big problem.
By rotorblades on 02-25-2015, 04:29 PM
Member reviews
Work as described?
20%20%20%
20%20%20%
Shipping and instructionsN/A
Recommend to a friend?N/A
Average 20%
Unhappy too narrow for fatty x2 tires

mine were too narrow for fatty x2 tires well built and handy.but pricey
Comment