SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #1
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default The Segway fun or not so much fun factor...

There is a thread about the fun we all have on our segways... That thread is about fun activities and stories about using the segway...

The question comes up, if you were required to use a segway in your job, how do you feel about it?

I think this is a valid question. I wonder if there is a way to get a valid answer...

One place that comes to mind, was the US Post Office.

I am not now, nor have I ever been involved with Segway Corporate, and have no idea why the efforts they put into having a post office specific segway program did not work out...

One could speculate that the range of the batteries at the time was not good enough at the time... The range of the current batteries is twice that of what was available at the time.

One could further speculate on the rumors that some of the letter carriers complained about hurting themselves ( very few injuries, but also not that many test sites, so a small number may be a significant percentage) in the use of the segway... One could easily argue that training is a major factor here, as we all know how easy it is to use a segway safely, if you want to.

I would speculate that there may also be a productivity fall out here... If a letter carrier were to be removed from his sit down jeep, where he was allowed 5 hours to do a particular route, and is now required to do the same route on a stand up segway, in 4 hours... While this may now be possible, it may be that the letter carrier is not so inclined to want to be so much more productive, and would then blame the segway as a decline in his enjoyment at work...

I suppose that one could poll the meter readers who use the segways, more commonly on the west coast. It may be more especially significant if they have several choices of conveyance, (walking, biking, segging, driving) and which they choose. If they do not have a choice, then there are all kinds of other factors similar to above... If they do have one, it might be educational to listen to the reasons some chose not to use one...

Unlike some, I can accept that some may not enjoy a segway. I have heard some say that anyone who does not like to seg must simply need more training is not allowing much room for personal preference... I do not doubt that not every person will like anything. Segways are no exception.

Anyone who does not like to seg is not in need of training, they are in need of a personality! Just kidding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:58 PM   #2
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

It's all quite simple: Most Americans do NOT partake in motorized activities for fun.

There are more road bicycles than motorcycles.

There are more mountain bicycles than ATVs.

There are more xc skis & snowshoes than snowmobiles.

There are more canoes & kayaks than PWCs.

Lastly, there are more running shoes and hiking boots than Segways.

No right or wrong, better or worse. But once people decide to get off their dupas and get outdoors, chances are they will eschew motorized devices.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 05:43 PM   #3
Suzined
Suzined is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

My undersztanding was that letter carriers sort mail between deliveries. Riding and sorting was a problem to which the carriers objected. This killed use by the carriers.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzined View Post
My undersztanding was that letter carriers sort mail between deliveries. Riding and sorting was a problem to which the carriers objected. This killed use by the carriers.

This is interesting, but I almost would rather have a person gliding and sorting than driving and sorting... Seems that the learning curve may have been with the driving as being something that can be done as part of several things, but gliding could not, because of their skill level at the time...

As much as I am not excited about hearing of postal workers reading mail, and sorting it while driving, I must admit, I do not hear often of accidents with the mail delivery jeeps.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 02-07-2009, 06:45 PM   #5
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
It's all quite simple: Most Americans do NOT partake in motorized activities for fun.

No right or wrong, better or worse. But once people decide to get off their dupas and get outdoors, chances are they will eschew motorized devices.

You have every right to see the world as you choose, but I do not see this particular rant as germaine to my questions.

You can compare lots of things with different price tags. There are far more cheap bikes than bikes like yours. Does that mean that people would rather have a Walmart special than the brand you chose?

I have a canoe (Made at Old Town in 1917) I don't think there were that many PWC at the time to have chosen... Actually, it was the PWC of 1917.

I have several bikes, including mountain bikes, street bikes, and tandem bikes. Does that mean anything at all in regard to my appreciation or not of Harleys? I own the bikes and I say no.

You compare segways to shoes. I have shoes and segways. You have shoes and no segways. What does that have to do with the price of tea in China? Not much, my guess.

I believe you feel you have a good lifestyle, and that people would improve their lives to change from what they do on their dupas and do what you do instead. It is healthy to feel this way, but not realistic.

There are far more people who would drive 1/2 mile down the road to get a small item at the local store, than would walk the same distance. They all have shoes, but I will wager that the vast majority of those that have segways will take it, instead of the car. How does that fit into your comparisons?

Speaking of that, why not comment on the reality that far more people who own shoes and cars will take both to the local market, 1/2 mile from their house, than to take one or the other... (Well, if there is a sign in the front of the store, No shirt, not shoes, no service) that may explain it a tiny bit...

So, we live in a nation that is getting heavier and more obese as time goes on. That is not good. It also has nothing much to do with this thread...

Old 02-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #6
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post

I really like this summation.

To analyze it a different way, though -- each of your right-hand-side items extends what you can do with the corresponding left-hand-side item. If you're doing an activity (say, being out in the snow) as recreation, you don't really have a need to extend it -- you just want to do it. Motorizing it really has nothing to add, and a lot to subtract.

If you can't ski, because of a physical limitation, or if you can't ski and still do all the hard physical work you want to do when you get there, or you can't get there fast enough -- then a snowmobile makes a lot of sense. When the occasion calls for it -- it's not inherently better than skiing, it's just better for some purposes.

But there are some interesting exceptions to your pattern.

I think there are more powered aircraft than unpowered ones. (I could be wrong. I'd include hang-gliders but not parafoils).

I think there are more small powerboats than there are rowboats. While I might go out in the middle of the night and row just to enjoy the activity and the environ, most people use small boats to get somewhere, and do something, such as fish, or tow a waterskier, etc.

I don't think these negate your point, but simply help illustrate why it's generally true.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
sfrantz
sfrantz is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
This is interesting, but I almost would rather have a person gliding and sorting than driving and sorting... Seems that the learning curve may have been with the driving as being something that can be done as part of several things, but gliding could not, because of their skill level at the time...

As much as I am not excited about hearing of postal workers reading mail, and sorting it while driving, I must admit, I do not hear often of accidents with the mail delivery jeeps.

The carriers sort the mail while WALKING from house to house, not while driving. On a Segway they had to keep one hand on the Segway, so they couldn't sort between houses (so I am told). I was also told that they are not really allowed to sort while walking, but I'm not sure about that.

Stephen
sfrantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
There is a thread about the fun we all have on our segways... That thread is about fun activities and stories about using the segway...

The question comes up, if you were required to use a segway in your job, how do you feel about it?

I think this is a valid question. I wonder if there is a way to get a valid answer...

One place that comes to mind, was the US Post Office.

I am not now, nor have I ever been involved with Segway Corporate, and have no idea why the efforts they put into having a post office specific segway program did not work out...

One could speculate that the range of the batteries at the time was not good enough at the time... The range of the current batteries is twice that of what was available at the time.

One could further speculate on the rumors that some of the letter carriers complained about hurting themselves ( very few injuries, but also not that many test sites, so a small number may be a significant percentage) in the use of the segway... One could easily argue that training is a major factor here, as we all know how easy it is to use a segway safely, if you want to.

I would speculate that there may also be a productivity fall out here... If a letter carrier were to be removed from his sit down jeep, where he was allowed 5 hours to do a particular route, and is now required to do the same route on a stand up segway, in 4 hours... While this may now be possible, it may be that the letter carrier is not so inclined to want to be so much more productive, and would then blame the segway as a decline in his enjoyment at work...

I suppose that one could poll the meter readers who use the segways, more commonly on the west coast. It may be more especially significant if they have several choices of conveyance, (walking, biking, segging, driving) and which they choose. If they do not have a choice, then there are all kinds of other factors similar to above... If they do have one, it might be educational to listen to the reasons some chose not to use one...

Unlike some, I can accept that some may not enjoy a segway. I have heard some say that anyone who does not like to seg must simply need more training is not allowing much room for personal preference... I do not doubt that not every person will like anything. Segways are no exception.

Anyone who does not like to seg is not in need of training, they are in need of a personality! Just kidding.
Thanks, Karl! I appreciate you not hijacking my thread with this alternate view of this fun-not-so-fun matter.

Back on the concept of someone not liking to glide when required to on the job: I think it's entirely too arbitrary, and therefore inappropriate, for someone to object to gliding. If if comes with the job then it's up to the person filling the job to enthusiastically embrace all of the actions and duties of the job without reservation, or else find another occupation.

The intermediate solution would be for the person to simply handle his or her negative considerations. In my mind, this would and should be accomplished most effectively through thorough training and practice, and I can't envision any reason other than "fear" for a person not liking to glide. Fear is best handled through increased familiarity with the factors at hand.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Bill Seright
Account Suspended
Bill Seright is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
You have every right to see the world as you choose, but I do not see this particular rant as germaine to my questions.
Do you realize that anytime JohnM makes a post you have to post something negative about his posting?

He rides bikes you use your Segway. One is not better than the other. One is not worse than the other. The two of you do not see eye to eye. Fine. We get it.

Bill Seright
Bill Seright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 02:20 PM   #10
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seright View Post
Do you realize that anytime JohnM makes a post you have to post something negative about his posting?

He rides bikes you use your Segway. One is not better than the other. One is not worse than the other. The two of you do not see eye to eye. Fine. We get it.

Bill Seright
I think that amongst all the posters here on this forum, that Karl stands out as one of the most prolific, intelligent, informed, and experienced; all while being amongst the most considerate, tolerant, and diplomatic towards others with differing opinions and points of view.

In this particular case, if he erred at all in his post, it might be his choice of the word "rant", as I don't see that JohnM's post was necessarily a rant.

However, I can understand Karl's apparent irritation with JohnM, as I myself remain in mystery over JohnM's raison d'etre (reason for being) on this forum despite his confirmed NON-Segway-ownership. I myself often bristle over JohnM's cynicism and, as often, wish it or he would simply go away.

As far as JohnM's post about people's tendency not to use motorized devices for fun, I simply disagree with it--one, for its generalities (generalities are characteristically FALSE), and, two, because I have a LOT of fun with motorized devices: planes, trains, automobiles, motorcycles, Segways, and three, I don't give a tinker's damn about any of these preposterous statements which merely pose as fact.

"Rant"? Not necessarily. Ridiculous and non-germain? Most definitely.

After all, this is a Segway ENTHUSIASTS site, not a Segway CRITICS site. Though various criticisms may be voiced in passing, I think there is a consensus which strongly favors the positive.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628

Last edited by SegwayDan; 02-08-2009 at 02:29 PM..
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote