SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-18-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
i2Macman
i2Macman is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Angry Segway lock kit

Does anyone know the original manufacturer of the Segway lock?

I purchased an original segway lock kit, but discovered that one of the two keys supplied does not work. It is a completely diffent key with a totally different ward pattern.

Tried to get a new key cut from the one working key but two different reputable high security locksmiths in Australia said it could only be duplicated by the lock manufacturer.

So, I have sent three emails to support at Segway inc requesting some form of assistance with the faulty supplied key, but I have not got even one reply to any email in over a month. Kryptonite say they did not make the Segway lock. If Inc won't reply, which is certainly a strange way to offer support, then maybe someone here actually knows who the actual manufacturer is.

The lock works perfectly but I would like to have a working spare key.
Can you help?
i2Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Unfortunately this is one of those secrets lost to time.

I believed that Kryptonite was the ODM manufacturer for the lock, since the lock was discontinued when THIS happened:
https://www.wired.com/2004/09/twist-a-pen-open-a-lock/

Technically, since the Segway Lock was a completely custom-branded lock, even if Kryptonite was the ODM manufacturer...they could technically be correct in saying that they were not the "manufacturer" (OEM).

Then again, maybe the Segway Lock was one of Segway's first steps into the world of Chinese manufacturers, and perhaps they bought the product from someone who was copying Kryptonite's design and therefore got caught up in the bic pen issue.

Or it could have been a completely different manufacturer. Again, unless one of the original Segway guys is around here and can tell without worrying about ongoing confidentiality requirements...a mystery lost to time.

BTW, Segway did previously offer a "Segway Kryptonite" lock before the Segway Lock...but that was one that went through the wheel and tire of gen1 Segway HTs. This can be particularly confusing because there is at least one image of the newer-style lock being sold via a photo showing it on top of the older-style "Segway Kryptonite" branded box. [Even more confusing...there were at least two styles of keys, one with a plastic shell around the handle of the key and one without...for an unknown reason.]

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 05:04 PM   #3
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
I have sent three emails to support at Segway inc requesting some form of assistance with the faulty supplied key, but I have not got even one reply to any email in over a month

It's difficult to put a good spin on the we-don't-give-a-rat's-fuzzy-butt-about-customers non-response.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:48 PM   #4
OPMD
OPMD is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The only place I can think of for help would be a forum such as:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Locksmith/

A picture of the key might allow them to make recommendations.

For what it's worth my keys have a tag on them that has "A20007" which must be the unique code for duplication.

Also I during my research I saw that Segway Junkyard sells these for $14

https://www.segwayjunkyard.com/gen-2...ry=Accessories
OPMD is offline   Reply With Quote