SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
barracatojr
barracatojr has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member
Default Slime

Can anyone tell me is slime good to put in segway tires.
barracatojr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 11:11 PM   #2
Dragan
Dragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant futureDragan has a brilliant future

5 yr Member

we use it all the time. We offer it to every new segway owner at the time of delivery, free of charge. I think it's cheap insurance
Wayne

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dragan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 04:37 AM   #3
Brandis
Brandis is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Use Slime for tubeless tires. On www.slime.com, there is a calculator which tells you what amount you have to put in. I think it is 8oz. for each tire.

Before I used slime, my tires lost pressure pretty quick and I had to reinflate every 2 weeks or so, even though the tires were all new and didn't have any damage. Since I have put the slime in, I had to reinflate once in a couple of months.

Marc
Brandis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
SegwayBill
SegwayBill

5 yr Member
Cool Do not slime my Tires

I picked up my first tack in 3 1/2 years, I was able to fix it with an auto plug kit. Worked great and took minutes.
For me I like the option of being able of working on my tires, rotating tires on rims changing tires from rims.
Slime would cause a sticky mess and exposure to petrochemicals.
I would be angry if a dealer put slime in my wheels.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:48 AM   #5
unclejay
unclejay is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default From Motorcycling

From my cycling experience slime should only be used as a last-resort or high-risk situation (where getting stranded may be injurious). It gums up the rim, may plug the air valve and give false readings, and unbalances the tire (not a big deal at 12 mph). However we're not talking thousands of risk dollars here...if you like it, go for it !
unclejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
cmonkey
cmonkey will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player
Default Like and there are alternatives

I tried half a bottle in each tire and it wasn't enough, it didn't coat well, and I still experienced slow air loss. I finally put in a full 8oz in each tire, and went gliding. I haven't had any troubles since.

The slime for tubeless tires works just fine, just be sure to put it in and do a lot of gliding so it can thoroughly coat the inside of your tire and 'set up' just a bit.

I made the mistake of putting slime in my bicycle tires too close to the end of the season. I put the bike in storage and now I have seriously out of balance tires. Luckily the tubes only cost a few dollars.

On a seg, even if the slime does settle a bit, you'll probably never notice it.

The other alternative is a latex compound that some in the bike community swear by.

Personally I prefer the slime. I've ridden through some nasty construction areas and picked up thorns, nails, glass, and the tires are still going strong.

I had one bad puncture, that didn't seem to want to seal with the slime, and I think it's because the tires are so low pressure. I inflated my tires to 75psi to force the sime into the puncture (i waited till I saw it ooze out the hole) then I deflated back to 16.5 psi.

No problems since then.

Of course now that Segway is selling tires with tubes, you'll need to get the appropriate slime for whatever tires you have.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:30 PM   #7
yosgof
yosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of lightyosgof is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Judging by my bicycle, even if you ride a lot after putting slime in your tires and then let the bicycle stand for some time (over winter) the slime collects at one plce and the wheel becomes destabilized.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Used to walk, now I glide

Segway - Go Green with a Grin!
yosgof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:15 PM   #8
opti6600
opti6600 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Check my previous posts.

I have a pair of tires out in the garage that I could still use, even though they're basically Swiss cheese, courtesy of Slime. It was just getting to the point that I would have to reapply too often to keep the holes clogged up for my comfort.

But yes, you want to use Slime Super Duty Tire Sealant - the green stuff with black bits in it, it's intended for low-to-medium-speed tubeless tires. Once again, tubeless tires - I'm not certain about how it would work on the new-model ETTs, you may have to stick with the bike sealant for that type of tire.

It's amazing stuff, highly recommended for anything short of boring 1/2" holes in your tire. I had nails, glass fragments, metal bits, screws, tacks, thorns, wood bits, you name it - everything got stuck on my commute tires - and Slime Super Duty plugged all the holes. Just make sure you put your unit on a stool and get the stuff evenly applied using power assist (and a couple of balance-mode bumps) - about a quarter-bottle per tire will do the trick.

Hope it goes well!
opti6600 is offline   Reply With Quote