SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Stuff to Buy and Sell

Notices

Stuff to Buy and Sell Classified ads for anything Segway-related accessories, products and sales.

Old 07-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #1
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Wanted: New or Used Gen1 Steering Grip Kit

I think I need to replace my control grip on my Segway i170. It feels like the Seg is not tracking properly and kinda swerves left and right a little. It has gotten worse over the last few weeks to the point I am almost afraid to glide it for fear it will throw me off. If I was younger, tougher and not on oxygen, I might not worry so much.

If you have a new or used twist grip for a Gen1 Segway, please let me know.

Thanks,

Jim
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 12:50 AM   #2
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Let's check the simple things first. Air in the tires the same? Nothing stuck between the tires and the fenders. I know how you love to run nice fat tires on your ride

The handle bar uses a hall effect sensor. For the grip to be causing the problem, one of the two magnets on the inside of the grip would have to be going bad.

Using a 5mm allen wrench, take off both the fixed and rotating part of the left handle. Check to make sure both magnets are firmly in place. Don't swap them around or you risk making the Segway go left when you turn right and vis-a-versa.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 02:05 AM   #3
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Hi Jeff, thanks for your reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Let's check the simple things first. Air in the tires the same? Nothing stuck between the tires and the fenders. I know how you love to run nice fat tires on your ride
I removed the wheels to check those things and also made sure the tire pressure was the same. That was a couple weeks ago, so I'll take the Seg to the tire store again tomorrow and have them check the air - this time I'll ask if there was any air needed (they're great about my Seg and the only time I let anyone glide it is the shop foreman, so I don't always know if a tire needed air).

I just tried the wheel nut and the left one was not tight. It wasn't wobbling and was a lot more than finger tight, but I was able to get about a 180° turn on it. Shoulda checked that before. I'll have to add a dab of Loctite.

Quote:
The handle bar uses a hall effect sensor. For the grip to be causing the problem, one of the two magnets on the inside of the grip would have to be going bad.

Using a 5mm allen wrench, take off both the fixed and rotating part of the left handle. Check to make sure both magnets are firmly in place. Don't swap them around or you risk making the Segway go left when you turn right and vis-a-versa.

jeff
Just removed the grip sections. They're fairly clean except for a tiny bit of greasy substance. The magnets are firmly clipped in. I can't tell if they are losing magnetism. What's the best way to test that?

It'd be great if it was just a matter of my lack of attention to the wheel nut. The Seg swerves slightly to both the left and the right as I'm gliding. It's unnerving, especially when I'm trying to avoid brushing up against a plant that covers a long stretch of a sidewalk and has ants swarming all over it. The faster I go, the more it swerves. I've watched the wheels to see if they wobble and I don't see anything - but then it seems to know when I'm looking and doesn't swerve. It's ALIVE!

I'll post back tomorrow after I've been to the tire shop. I feel foolish I hadn't double-checked those things before.

Jim
Old 07-24-2015, 02:44 AM   #4
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Good news & bad news: The good news is that it was apparently the loose wheel nut that caused the problem. I used some Loctite and cinched the nut down snug and problem solved.

The bad news is I'm an idiot.

Jim
Old 07-25-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Yay!

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:48 AM   #6
eJM
Account Suspended

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Yay I'm an idiot???

Thanks for your help again, Jeff.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:41 PM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

We are all idiots one time or another. (IF that is how you want to describe missing something we should have known)

The difference is that many never learn to understand when they have acted like that idiot, or never have the fortitude to admit it.

Bottom line is that it is good that your segway is okay, and unfortunate that you had to go thru a couple weeks of discomfort. Luckily, you will get over it.

All in all, a little embarrassment is not too much to pay, considering the frequently expensive cost of segway repairs...

And lets not forget, the whole world can be divided into two types. Those who have made a mistake like you did, and those who deny it.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote