SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 PM   #11
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealzam View Post
When the device shakes, that indicates something is wrong. If it's the batteries, the batteries could just be going bad. Perhaps the tolerance is different between the 180 and the older model.

If you are swapping the batteries between devices, you may want to CAREFULLY clean the battery terminals on both the devices and potentially the actual batteries. Don't do this without looking for instructions online.

In either case, your batteries are probably going bad. You may want to look into having them repaired / replaced.
Please read more carefully. The OP said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsouser View Post
...180 seems to make the noise more often when I am maxing out the speed compared to the 167
In other words, apparently the OP is pushing to "max out" the speed.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #12
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

It is entirely possible the i167 is running older, more aggressive firmware than the i180. That could explain why it feels more responsive. The newer firmwares have made the machines more and more conservative.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 02:39 PM   #13
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

In case it wasn't clear, Segways actually do growl, and this is mentioned several times in the manual. It is an intentional part of the design, but it does indicate that there is a problem. The problem could be the batteries, but it could also be many other things.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 11:20 PM   #14
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

The noise from this "description" could be several things, from stick-shake to worn drive couplings. We should hear a recording / video of this issue before making any conclusions...
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #15
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation gear whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Not sure what you mean by "growling," as the primary noise that comes from the Segway is generated by the gearboxes, not by the motors. So changing batteries wouldn't appear to do anything to help make the i180 quieter.

Gearboxes were originally tooled by a third-party that went out of business. Segway bought the tooling and moved gearbox production in-house in-between production of the i167 and the i180. I think that's the primary reason for the differences in noise levels -- exact same design, but different production lines.
my gears seemed to have higher levels of whine a few months ago in mildly warmer weather now that it is colder the noise seems lessi have a 2014x2 with 980 easy miles im worried that my gearboxes may have cheap oil in them with now viscosity issues =what to do? my instinct is to leave them alone but sometimes a factory messes up
or"saves money" should i worry? i dont believe it is connectors= wrong word
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 07:43 PM   #16
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
my gears seemed to have higher levels of whine a few months ago in mildly warmer weather now that it is colder the noise seems lessi have a 2014x2 with 980 easy miles im worried that my gearboxes may have cheap oil in them with now viscosity issues =what to do? my instinct is to leave them alone .....
I think you have excellent instincts.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote