SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:17 PM   #11
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
When powered off, but holding it in normal gliding position (using the fenders or base to hold it in that position) -- is the leansteer frame absolutely vertical? You'll need to use an instrument (level or something) to determine that.

Check to see that the base where you stand is level. Then check the side of the vertical leansteer frame.
This what I was thinking....Or disconect the whole leansteer, and carfully get onit and see if it is still doing 360's...
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
When powered off, but holding it in normal gliding position (using the fenders or base to hold it in that position) -- is the leansteer frame absolutely vertical? You'll need to use an instrument (level or something) to determine that.

Check to see that the base where you stand is level. Then check the side of the vertical leansteer frame.
The LS frame doesn't need to be absolutely/perfectly verticle. It would take a visually significant misalignment for it to drag the pivot over enough to cause autorotation. I remove/install mine countless times for weekend travel, and when in a hurry I don't always get it absolutely perfect, but I've never noticed the machine autorotate because of it.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
The LS frame doesn't need to be absolutely/perfectly verticle. It would take a visually significant misalignment for it to drag the pivot over enough to cause autorotation. I remove/install mine countless times for weekend travel, and when in a hurry I don't always get it absolutely perfect, but I've never noticed the machine autorotate because of it.
I'm not sure I understand the point you are trying to make there. Could you explain a bit more, please?
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:31 PM   #14
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I believe that regardless of what is our own personal definition of aligned or not, we can offer a slight test or exercise to see if the condition can be easily corrected or not...

If the lean steer is out of alignment, in that the way it is installed, it is causing the turn, the solution is to take it off, and move it to compensate for this turn.

Simply put, if the handle is attached to the cam inside the front of the center mechanism in such a way that the cam is turned when the leansteer is vertical, then the clear next step is to release the leansteer from that cam, and re-align it.

There is a procedure in the owner's manual, about bolting it on finger tight, then go left till the leansteer hits fender, then right till it hits fender and 'pops' then tighten it up. (Very much simplified and paraphrased)

I would do what the manual says.

If you prefer, since the base turns left, that means the leansteer was leaning a slight bit to the right when installed, so that when it is moved left to become upright, it would give a small turn input.

I would therefore loosen the bolt, move the leansteer a bit to the left, being sure the cam it bolts to does not, and when you tighten it up, it will then not make the base turn.

Try it. If it gets worse, bring it back. If it gets better, but not good enough, or turns the other direction, then adjust accordingly.

Good luck...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:20 AM   #15
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

LOL the dealer delivered mine because he happened to be coming this way and decided I would have to remove the leansteer to carry it in my small station wagon.

So I did and it took me a day and a half to get it back on!

After that experience, I did a little experimenting and found that if I took off just the handle bars and ran it up the ramp backwards, it was no problem. Mine is just a little out of alignment at the moment, but not enough to persuade me to bother with removing it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 PM   #16
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

There can certainly be an internal problem. Guess who has two thumbs and had his pivot base replaced?

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 11:49 PM   #17
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgan View Post
LeeSteer seems to be aligned and clean free. My tires are inflated properly too.

Here is a video that can better explain the problem
https://drive.google.com/folderview?...nM&usp=sharing
who knows where to get a digital tire pressure gage = one for 4 ibs/per or less and is accurate at that low pressure and how cani go back on the above new ticker tape it flips before i can click on an interesting one

thanks much to all
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 08:59 PM   #18
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

If it doesn't go all the way around in a full circle, there isn't a problem here. What you are seeing is normal behavior. The Segway always turns until it is facing downhill. It is VERY sensitive and will detect an incline that you might not notice. In the video you turn to the right and let it move until it stops. What happens if you move to the left instead? Does it turn to the right and stop in the same spot?

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #19
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
The LS frame doesn't need to be absolutely/perfectly verticle. It would take a visually significant misalignment for it to drag the pivot over enough to cause autorotation. ....
I had some time to experiment today, and found that it takes a very small, almost undetectable movement from vertical, to cause slow rotation.

And, as Gihgehls said - I tried it on a surface that I "knew" was perfectly level. The machine autorotated until it was facing in one direction, and then stopped. That was the case (stopping at the same direction) regardless of where I started - and rotated in the shortest amount. I put a long level on this surface that I "knew" was level, and sure enough, it wasn't exactly level.
Old 09-04-2015, 02:44 PM   #20
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
who knows where to get a digital tire pressure gage = one for 4 ibs/per or less and is accurate at that low pressure
Off topic, but....

Why do you say "digital"?

Analog (dial or stick) gauges for low pressure are quite accurate, and readily available.