SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:27 PM   #21
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default 2007 = nearly 8 yo

I think that c05300700121
means May ( 05 ) 30th ( 30 ) 2007 ( 07 ) battery serial number of that day 0121

So it is a pretty old battery, at or nearing 'end-of-life'.

Sorry to be the bearer of less than ideal news.

If it has been opened and re-built, there will be fairly obvious scars.

If it has been revived, there is no way this can be measured or observed.

Michael
www.dgbint.com
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 PM   #22
MagiMike
MagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the roughMagiMike is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member SegwayFest Attendee

DGBINT is exactly correct.
If you have an I-phone, i-pad or i-pod touch, Theres an App for that in the I-tunes store called PT-info
It translated PT serial numbers and also battery serial numbers.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pt-i...711455238?mt=8

It's a free app.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthr...=serial+number

"I'm virtually certain that my avatar is real or really certain that it's virtual.... Or vice versa,"
MagiMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 02:32 PM   #23
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hello guys and gals. That is great info from previous posters!

I am back with good news so far!

Last week I received from MTO BATTERY, one lithium battery reconditioner. The voltage was 23-24V when it was plugged into the first battery (rear).

I have a photo attached and as I'm writing this post the voltage is at 70.2V.

Green light is blinking slowly at the reconditioner which means the bulk reconditioning is in progress. It seems that the battery will come back to life!

So far, I must say that the customer service and support from MTO BATTERY was excellent! Thank you!

Stay tuned for more updates!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (195.9 KB, 39 views)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:21 PM   #24
energetic

5 yr Member

It looks like that both batteries needed to be reconditioned twice as suggested in the reconditioner's user manual.

Now both charging lights of the Segway are green but after 1-2 minutes, one of the batteries turns red. More specific, it is the front battery which was previously at the rear side of the Segway.

This battery was indicating lower voltage when it was charging with the reconditioner, however it was way above 50V which indicates that the battery is good. At some point both batteries indicated 72-73V.

I think at this point that I may need to try an additional recondition cycle to the front battery.

EDIT: In this link below, it seems that I had a issue with the same battery few years back. Check it out.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=26315
and

Proud Member of

Last edited by energetic; 03-17-2015 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: ADDED LINK
Old 03-18-2015, 11:50 AM   #25
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Energetic,

The voltage being so high is certainly a good initial indicator but there are other variables which contribute as to whether the battery will charge or not. The biggest of these issues is internal impedance of the batteries. As batteries age their impedance increases. given the age of these batteries it is possible the impedance is too high to permit proper charging. If this is the case the cells will likely need to be replaced to correct this issue. You can safely run the reconditioner through multiple cycles to increase the voltage further but if you have achieved 70V+ then I am doubtful you will experience any change in charging. On the other hand, what do you have to loose by trying it another 1-2 times.

Thank you for the kind words and I am glad the reconditioner made it to you safely. I hope you have found it useful and easy to use. Have a great day!
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:33 AM   #26
energetic

5 yr Member

I followed your advice and had 2 more reconditioning cycles and the second battery now is charging normally as well. In fact, it has finished charging on the Segway and is flashing green.

Now, the first battery which was revived successfully originally shows a flashing green light and turns red. I removed the plug... then back on, it flashes green for three minutes and then it goes red. The infokey indicates C108 when the battery is in front and C100 when installed at the rear, which indicates that battery is empty!?

But this is not exactly correct, since I have now removed the battery, plugged the reconditioner and the voltage indicator is around 74-76Volts. In fact, within a minute the reconditioner indicates that there is no need for more reconditioning (green light).

Now when I plug this battery the light is red. Any advice from this point?
and

Proud Member of
Old 03-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #27
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

C108 - front battery empty, C100 - rear battery empty all point to the battery is empty "under load". The MTO reconditioner will save a depleted battery and bring the battery back to the charging state but will not rebuild the aging or dead cells, the battery pack shows the correct voltage but it does not have enough current to sustained the voltage under load.

Now, when you supply power to Segway and the light is red means the BMS inside the battery had finally declared this battery is not safe to charge and will not initiate the charging stage. When you start your Segway, the first initial test of the Segway is to draw appx 1A current from the battery and vibrate the motor which generate the "start up sound", at this stage Segway also detect the voltage drop and if one of the battery falls under the preset limits it will display C100 or C108.

Looks like your battery had reached the end of its service life and a rebuild of cells are needed.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 05:36 PM   #28
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Hustle up ....

MTO Battery has a 20% off for rebuilding a set of batteries. Great deal and they can end of being better then OEM. 20% off ends 3/31.

Hustle.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 03:41 AM   #29
energetic

5 yr Member

Thank you all for your kind support.

So here is the conclusion to this matter. Eventually, after all the efforts to bring them back to life, I realized that there is no way to charge them since they have been way to long uncharged. We are talking about years of inactivity!

It was worth to try and revive them and the reviver just did what is made for. It brought them back to the voltage so the Segway could charge them, but there was no success from that point from the Segway itself.

The solution was to get a second hand set of batteries and fit them on, they come with an year warranty too! The result? The Segway is alive and kicking with me on gliding around!

On a side note, I must admit that the feeling having back the Segway in operational condition is an absolute satisfaction. I thought that I would have to get used to glide again, but there was no need to remember anything. It was like bicycle... or the other thing, you just never forget!

Lesson learned, like I didn't knew but I have to blame myself on this one, is to keep the Segway fully charge at all times. The dealer told me just keep it plugged in all the time and you won't have to worry about it. However, I read somewhere that a timer is a good solution for keeping the batteries charged as well. I will have to find more on this.

So, at the end of the day I have a reviver and also a set of bad batteries.

The reviver hopefully will not be needed in the future but you never know. I hope I will not have to use it again, but I believe is a great and useful product.

On the other hand, I'm thinking if there is a way to DIY the old batteries and replace the elements inside. I believe it certainly worth trying.

I would like to thank everyone for contributing to find a solution regarding this battery problem. This community is great and I'm happy to be a part of it. Keep on gliding!
and

Proud Member of
Old 04-07-2015, 11:19 AM   #30
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thank you for following up with everything. So often people begin a thread and do not finish it. I certainly appreciate the kind words regarding your experience with our product. You might also consider posting an advertisement somewhere that you can offer reconditioning services in your area. This may very well help others whom are in your situation and could also help you recover some of the funds invested into the reconditioner. I wish you all the best and happy gliding!!
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote