SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #21
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

You might try to contact Wayne Reimer who, with his wife Marcy, owned the Segway dealership in Calgary before it closed. They are two of the nicest people you'll ever meet, big Segway enthusiasts, and would certainly have knowledge that would be useful to you. Unfortunately, I've lost his email address. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
Before I start, let me thank the people who posted in another thread of mine that encouraged me to investigate the legality of Segways in my city (Calgary) before I purchase. Since I’m young and naive I foolishly thought that a relatively modern city like Calgary that has also had a growing concern about ecological issues and the environment for the past years would have no objections to Segways being used by citizens as an ecologically friendly alternative to vehicles.

Boy, was I wrong.

I just got off the phone with the city’s information hotline and was told in no uncertain terms that Segways can’t be used on pathways, sidewalks, trails, etc. Why? Because it’s a motorized device. My points about the Segway’s speed (or lack thereof it), agile controllability, and rider/operator responsibility and discipline were always conveniently ignored, and I was simply brought back to the comment of the Segway being a motorized device.

I was informed that obviously electric wheelchairs and mobility scooters were acceptable to be used on the paths and sidewalks because they were a necessity. I get that. My own grandmother needs a mobility scooter to get around as she is unable to stand or walk for any decent periods of time due to a stroke. However I almost felt that the “necessity” comment was just a politically correct way of telling me that Segway users can’t be trusted and will be irresponsible and tear through congested sidewalks at max speed. I know none of you would do that, and anybody who knows me understands that wouldn’t be the case either. Being less than a year away to start flight training to ultimately become a commercial pilot, I understand better than most the importance of being responsible and in control of the machine you are operating at all times with an emphasis on keeping yourself, and everybody around you safe.

About the only encouraging piece of advice I got from the fellow on the phone was that Segways could be used on private property and on the road. The road use surprised me, as I didn’t think Calgary allowed that. However, given the abominable driving I’ve seen by the citizens of Calgary, the only way I would ever feel comfortable being on a Segway next to traffic would be if I had some sort of force field around me that pushed anything within a ten foot radius away.

Well, needless to say I was a bit appalled at the restrictions Segway owners faced, and I pretty much said that to the guy without mincing words. I realise I was kind of shooting the messenger there, but I was just pretty taken aback as to how hostile Calgary was to Segways and their owners. He did at least empathize with me and agreed that using a Segway as an ecologically friendly vehicle alternative should be something that Calgary should more accepting towards, and didn’t understand the ridiculous restrictions, either. He said he would pass on my concerns to somebody and encouraged me to contact my Alderwoman to push the issue further if I wanted to. Will I do it? Absolutely.

But does this mean I’m going to drop all dreams of getting a Segway? Not at all. I’m still planning on getting one this summer even if the restrictions haven’t been lessened. And I’ll try to do everything I can to educate the city about Segways when I get mine and try to have their use legalised in more areas. I read a few articles about current Calgary Segway owners who also think the restrictions within Calgary are ridiculous, yet continue using their Segways on sidewalks and paths even though it’s technically not permitted. I suppose they just hop the curb onto the side of the road if they see a police cruiser anywhere.

Anyways, sorry for the rant, but I knew you folks would be the only ones that understand the disappointment I’m feeling right now. If anybody else has had experience with dealing with this sort of thing, please let me know how it turned out for you.

Thanks,
Old 02-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #22
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Wow. When I posted earlier on this thread, telling you my experience with my governmental bodies here in Florida, it was with the intention of encouraging you to make your voice heard with your government, and with the full expectation that you would experience some success in being heard and accommodated.

I love Canadians and your great country. But this news you relate makes me realize that there are some significant differences between your country and ours. It also makes me appreciate the formidable effort Segway Inc. made in proactively approaching all of our state legislatures to attempt to enact accommodating laws for EPAMDs.

A wise man once said, though, "There is no such thing as failure--only lack of persistence." Don't give up in your efforts to get gliding in Calgary legalized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
. . . Dan should get his new title in about 16 posts. . .
7 down, 9 to go!

Dan Swanson

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

727-403-2628

Last edited by SegwayDan; 02-05-2013 at 09:41 PM..
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #23
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

**I've deleted my comment**
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 12:45 PM   #24
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Somewhere recently, there was a thread about bikers with video cameras on their bikes to record careless and inconsiderate car driver license numbers. If they allow bicycles, you might try taking some video--careless bikers, segway safety and consideration for pedestrians, cross walks, stop lights etc. to bolster your request for re-consideration. Perhaps some other Seg owners have such video you could use as well...

BTW--I don't really have time to check at the moment, but does NY have EPAMD laws that could help out?
I've considered a Go Pro, but for the last year or so, my Segway hasn't been used.

My lifestyle and reasons I purchased it have changed.

It has a dead battery and isn't allowed in the bike room at work. I'm also concerned about on-the-spot failure. It's happened twice (wouldn't turn on/off), causing me to panic because it's too large/heavy to transport by foot.

All of that to say that I'm sadly uncertain about keeping it .

Unless I lose my job, I need to think about what's practical. For me right now, that would be something I can get commute on that can fold and be stored indoors at the office

That said, I saw a man on a Segway exiting the bank and was so jealous that mine's down for now. If I get rid of it, it'll break my heart.
Old 04-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #25
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnyc View Post
Unless I lose my job, I need to think about what's practical. For me right now, that would be something I can get commute on that can fold and be stored indoors at the office
http://www.nycewheels.com/dahon-formula-bionx.html

Video: https://youtu.be/Uz63Vzzsls8
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 09:46 AM   #26
lilnyc

5 yr Member

Hey JohnM - Thanks for the suggestion.

I went to a local place that sells electric scooters. Now, the Xootr EX3 was amazing but it's discontinued. Electric scooters now (that I've tried) are clunky, heavy and for me, scary. They also weighed too much so what's the point?

All of that to say...I'm sticking with my Segway

I'll wait until I can sell my i2 and buy the new one. It's the only thing I feel comfortable riding.