SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Somewhere recently, there was a thread about bikers with video cameras on their bikes to record careless and inconsiderate car driver license numbers. If they allow bicycles, you might try taking some video--careless bikers, segway safety and consideration for pedestrians, cross walks, stop lights etc. to bolster your request for re-consideration. Perhaps some other Seg owners have such video you could use as well...

BTW--I don't really have time to check at the moment, but does NY have EPAMD laws that could help out?
If memory serves me correctly, NY State has a EPAMD law that specifically excludes cities with over 1 million people. So, the most direct answer would be that the law here will not help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
Hobbes
Hobbes is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hello JPM.
I used a Segway in Calgary for years. The difference was I had a handicapped car permit which I carried with me. I only got stopped once by the police and that was to answer the usual questions: How fast does it go? How much does it cost?

I rode on bike paths, the C-train and streets all the time, with no trouble. If it serves as a mobility device you have free reign.

I also used one on the streets in the old part of Geneva Switzerland, right past the Gendarmerie, and was met with only a nod and a smile, but I made sure to have my handicapped card in a pocket at the base of the upright so that they had the answer to their question before they asked it.

I have also taken the Seg on Amtrak.

I have both an I2 and a 167, which I could take by air.

P.S. It would be worth asking the city if they allow bicycles on the bike path. The answer will be "of course". Then ask if they allow electrically-assisted bicycles on the bike paths. I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Bicycles are ridden more erratically and faster than any Segway I have seen in public.
Hobbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:06 AM   #13
JPM
JPM is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Thank you to everybody for your help and information!

First of all, I send a major thank you to everybody on here who gave me resources, information, or reassurance about the matter (if I'd quoted everybody individually, this post would probably require multiple pages! )

I've talked to some people about the matter, taken a look at the city bylaws, and along with the information provided by all of you on here, I've actually found loopholes the size of Texas in Calgary's bylaws regarding the matter. I have a feeling after meeting with a few key individuals in the city, describing my situation, giving them demos and introducing & educating them about the Segway, and quoting the bylaw information I've found, I probably won't run into any problems.

For example, according to the sidewalk bylaws in Calgary, anyone over the age of fourteen must not ride bicycles on the sidewalks. It is prohibited. However, and this is the complete truth, I've seen groups of five to ten cyclists, all well over fourteen years of age, on the sidewalk passing by the POLICE STATION with officers watching and giving a friendly wave! So it appears as if law enforcement realizes even if the "rules" are technically being violated, if the "violator(s)" are being responsible and are not bothering anyone, there's no sense in bothering them.

So once again, thanks to everybody for your help, and you've truly given me added motivation and inspiration to try and make my city more Segway friendly.

Regards,

We're one of a kind as we travel around
The wind in our face, and our feet off the ground
As we see brand new things and have stories to tell
While gliding atop just two wheels, parallel
JPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 11:21 AM   #14
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post
First of all, I send a major thank you to everybody on here who gave me resources, information, or reassurance about the matter (if I'd quoted everybody individually, this post would probably require multiple pages! )

I've talked to some people about the matter, taken a look at the city bylaws, and along with the information provided by all of you on here, I've actually found loopholes the size of Texas in Calgary's bylaws regarding the matter. I have a feeling after meeting with a few key individuals in the city, describing my situation, giving them demos and introducing & educating them about the Segway, and quoting the bylaw information I've found, I probably won't run into any problems.

For example, according to the sidewalk bylaws in Calgary, anyone over the age of fourteen must not ride bicycles on the sidewalks. It is prohibited. However, and this is the complete truth, I've seen groups of five to ten cyclists, all well over fourteen years of age, on the sidewalk passing by the POLICE STATION with officers watching and giving a friendly wave! So it appears as if law enforcement realizes even if the "rules" are technically being violated, if the "violator(s)" are being responsible and are not bothering anyone, there's no sense in bothering them.

So once again, thanks to everybody for your help, and you've truly given me added motivation and inspiration to try and make my city more Segway friendly.

Regards,
Hurrah for you! Keep us posted...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #15
SegwayDan
Advanced Member
SegwayDan has a spectacular aura aboutSegwayDan has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPM View Post

Regards,
Well done! Don't every give up. There's actually no such thing as failure: only lack of follow-though and/or push-through.

Dan Swanson

727-403-2628
SegwayDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
enviroglide
enviroglide

5 yr Member

JPM, you are right on the money the police will never stop you if you are riding respectful.
I am the dealer for Alberta, please let me know if I can be of any assistance with meetings and demonstrations you have in calgary I am there about once per month.
Keep up the good fight, we need more soldiers in Alberta pushing this agenda.
enviroglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
lilnyc
lilnyc is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
I have a feeling that those reckless riders are not really wreckless.
Oops. Sorry for the misspelling. Thanks
lilnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
kendall69
kendall69 can only hope to improve

5 yr Member
Default How long

How long will it take for people to accept Segways
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #19
Racklefratz
Racklefratz is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
I have a feeling that those reckless riders are not really wreckless.

Good catch! Right on.
Racklefratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #20
BoscoBob
BoscoBob is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendall69 View Post
How long will it take for people to accept Segways
As long as it takes for people to understand that 200 lb people do not routinely fall off their Segways onto 50 lb children.

I find it odd that you would be questioning Segway acceptance when, you yourself, don't seem to accept that they are a safe alternative for disabled people. Using your "logic", Disneyland should outlaw crutches. I fall at least twice a week on my crutches (I have the missing teeth and smashed nose to prove that point). As such, I post a grave danger to anyone close by.

[kendall69] you seem to speak out of both sides of your mouth (sometimes it seems you are doing it simultaneously) when it comes to Segways. You are unable to fathom the public's mistrust of a device that makes life possible for the people who so desperately need it, yet you make blanket statements about unsafe they are. Are you saying that as long as I ride nowhere near people that Segways are a wonderful tool, yet the moment that I breach the doors of my local WallyWorld to go shopping that my Segway magically transforms into an instrument of death, mayhem, terror and destruction to kill and maim small children? Inquiring minds want to know.