SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-28-2015, 06:39 AM   #1
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default National Zoo

Off to visit the National zoo in DC today. I am handicapped, have an I2 with a Lean Seat and a handicap placard on it, and their web page specifically mentions the use of segways. "Power-Driven Mobility Devices (e.g., Segways)
Power-driven mobility devices other than wheelchairs, such as scooters and Segways, may only be used by individuals with mobility disabilities. "

That being said, I fully expect to have no issues with the I2, it's obvious that I am using it for mobility purposes. I will let you know how it goes and how they react.

I went to the Air and Space museum annex out by Dulles airport and used the I2, and the guard just asked it I needed if for mobility assistance. I got a bit annoyed as I have a handicap placard posted just for that purpose, you would think it would be obvious. However, he was just doing his job and was very courteous and there were no issues, it was just my instinctive response, and not appropriate. They were very nice, so it was a great experience.

I have heard the zoo is a bit hilly, and they rent scooters and electric wheelchairs. At first I was wondering if they would try to discourage my I2 as they make $ from renting. But I have no knowledge of that, I expect the seg can handle anything they have there with relative ease.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Off to visit the National zoo in DC today. I am handicapped, have an I2 with a Lean Seat and a handicap placard on it, and their web page specifically mentions the use of segways. "Power-Driven Mobility Devices (e.g., Segways)
Power-driven mobility devices other than wheelchairs, such as scooters and Segways, may only be used by individuals with mobility disabilities. "

That being said, I fully expect to have no issues with the I2, it's obvious that I am using it for mobility purposes. I will let you know how it goes and how they react.

I went to the Air and Space museum annex out by Dulles airport and used the I2, and the guard just asked it I needed if for mobility assistance. I got a bit annoyed as I have a handicap placard posted just for that purpose, you would think it would be obvious. However, he was just doing his job and was very courteous and there were no issues, it was just my instinctive response, and not appropriate. They were very nice, so it was a great experience.

I have heard the zoo is a bit hilly, and they rent scooters and electric wheelchairs. At first I was wondering if they would try to discourage my I2 as they make $ from renting. But I have no knowledge of that, I expect the seg can handle anything they have there with relative ease.
Had a great day at the national zoo. I want to give a shout out to Sargent Jim Geller of the Zoological Park Police. I was in the Small Mammals building enjoying all sorts of strange and wonderful little furry critters, and Jim came over, introduced himself, asked how I was making out and if I needed any assistance at all. What a great thing ! He was impressed with my Segway configuration (hadn't seen a seat on a Segway before) and wanted ideas as to how his police staff or other patrons could use segways effectively there and if I had any tips. We had a great chat for maybe 10 mins or so and I gave him my experiences as a Segway user in general and how they worked at the zoo.
He was personally involved in making sure segways were allowed at the zoo for the handicapped who needed their use. I can attest that they made a big big difference there. The zoo is totally committed to insuring the handicapped can access and enjoy the facilities and they are set up perfectly. I had no trouble whatsoever, from parking, entering and navigating the grounds, and the staff was universally friendly and supportive. It was probably the best experience I am had using some sort of public facility or pubic park to date. If you ever make it to the Nation's capitol and want some fun, check out the zoo. And if you have a friend or family member who uses a seg for mobility assistance, tell them not to worry and come along, it will work out great. I enclosed a pic of one of the Panda's from the zoo, because they are fun to look at. They do look just like a giant stuffed animal and seem to enjoy the crowds that come to watch them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg panda.jpg (49.1 KB, 20 views)
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 12:44 PM   #3
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Nice to hear!!!!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote