SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #1
BoscoBob
BoscoBob is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Angry SO tired of this sh*t!

5 years ago, I go shopping at a Salem Walmart, where I am accosted by a Manager with small phallus sysdrome (SPS) who claims that disabled or not, I cannot come into the store with my Segway. I finally told him that if he did not stop, that I would lodge an ADA violation. I called the corporate offices for Walmart, who followed up and claimed that the manager was just "curious" about my ability to maneuver in the aisles and stop quickly enough and avoid other shoppers and that I "didn't look disabled".

"We did nothing wrong, but we'll work with the store to educate them on the ADA and EPAM's in particular."

Fast forward 5 years. I stopped in that same Walmart (because it is a Superstore and my store does not carry the item). Want to guess what happened? Come on...GUESS! Picture this, an old guy with an oxygen tube in his nose, a face that is sideways due to partial hemiplegia being told "You CAN NOT bring that in here!"

Well, I blew up this time! I am SO tempted to try to get EVERY disabled person in Oregon to descend upon that store one day. I think that whenever the sh*t comes up, that we should stage mass "glide-ins".

Sorry...just furious as !#&% that anyone should have to deal with this. All I wanted to do was to buy a UV flashlight for detecting pet stains on my way home from my first outing in months. I have been 24/7 caregiver for a neighbor who died on Friday and couldn't even leave to go shopping. My first day out.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:22 AM   #2
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Wow....Yea I understand your frustration!

Having a service dog myself, Im the one educating store workers and managers in public places...

The number one thing is to not lose our cool....

Do you have any printed up info to help explain the ADA rules?

The DOJ's phone number?

Im sorry it happened you would think you solved it the first time....but people are very ignorant to any change...
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 08:36 AM   #3
BoscoBob

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
Wow....Yea I understand your frustration!

Having a service dog myself, Im the one educating store workers and managers in public places...

The number one thing is to not lose our cool....

Do you have any printed up info to help explain the ADA rules?

The DOJ's phone number?

Im sorry it happened you would think you solved it the first time....but people are very ignorant to any change...
The first time I went to my local Walmart, someone approached me and told me that I couldn't bring my scooter in the store. 30 seconds of education and their response was, "Cool!". Never been a problem. I even paved the way for a second Segway user (who died Friday morning after a protracted battle with bone cancer).

After the first incident, I printed out the Oregon Statute regarding Segways and the entire updated Title III regarding Segways and gave it to them. I nornally keep copies in my bag, but I ran out and haven't been in my own home for months.

I mean...seriously? I have given them every tool to be able to extricate their craniums from their colons...what more can I do. Thinking about contacting an attorney. The stress is not doing my MS or my CAD any favors. Luckily, I always keep a bottle of nitroglycerin in the car, but that does nothing for my MS. It would be different if this was a new situation, or if they had just stopped and listened. What I got from this C*** of a woman was, "Well, I'm disabled too and I NEVER get upset when my ADA rights are abused." I swear!
Old 06-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #4
airdale

5 yr Member

wow...what is this world coming to?

Keep us informed....it just plain sucks..

hope things get better for you!
Old 06-27-2016, 12:44 PM   #5
BoscoBob

5 yr Member

One hour and 35 minutes later...

Called to Walmart corporate. I explained that "[their] response to this situation will determine how far I need to escalate the matter".

I politely reminded them that as of 2014, that the civil penalties for a second ADA title III violation has increased to $150,000 per violation. I also gave them all of the url's for OPDMD ADA rules.

LOTS of phone calls now for clarification and information.

"Circle the wagons and cover your asses folks"
Old 06-28-2016, 12:57 AM   #6
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Airdale, I show them the 1/14 DOJ ruling equating 'use of a Segway is expected wherever a wheelchair is used'. Usually just stating state EPMAD rules is sufficient, most front desk/door workers just don't know. I ask to see their 'ADA Coordinator'.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:11 AM   #7
airdale

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
Airdale, I show them the 1/14 DOJ ruling equating 'use of a Segway is expected wherever a wheelchair is used'. Usually just stating state EPMAD rules is sufficient, most front desk/door workers just don't know. I ask to see their 'ADA Coordinator'.
Ive always thought we should have a sticky in this section with all the PDF's and phone numbers so you dont have to search this site.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default So TIRED...

Administrator John, can we start a 'dropbox' for docs?
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote