SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 01-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #1
Rascasse
Rascasse is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Insurance/Medicare Coverage

Since Segways are protected devices under the ADA, has anyone had success getting insurance or Medicare to pay for their Segway... as scooters are paid.

Thanks.

Dino
Rascasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:08 PM   #2
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascasse View Post
Since Segways are protected devices under the ADA, has anyone had success getting insurance or Medicare to pay for their Segway... as scooters are paid.

Thanks.
I haven't tried this, but I've been told that Medicare can be very reluctant to provide even high end wheelchairs. Segway approval _could_ happen, but I think you will find it difficult and unlikely.

The fact that it is not FDA approved, has --or should have--nothing to do with it. It is a long expensive process and most wheel chairs, etc. are not approved either.

If anyone knows more than I do, please share!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Medicare will only pay an approved DME for scooters, and Segways are not available at DMEs. (A DME is a licensed medical equipment provider for anyone who does not know.)

Also, they aim to only give them to people who can't get around their home. They don't care about the disabled people being unable to go outside or do errands. You are only supposed to get a power scooter if you're unable to operate the manual wheelchair, and a power wheelchair only if you can't use the power scooter. Basically, they are trying to reduce costs by only giving the absolute minimum needed. http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11046.pdf

I read that the DME sends someone to your home to decide which device to give you, after your doctor prescribes it as necessary.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 04:06 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
Medicare will only pay an approved DME for scooters, and Segways are not available at DMEs. (A DME is a licensed medical equipment provider for anyone who does not know.)

Also, they aim to only give them to people who can't get around their home. They don't care about the disabled people being unable to go outside or do errands. You are only supposed to get a power scooter if you're unable to operate the manual wheelchair, and a power wheelchair only if you can't use the power scooter. Basically, they are trying to reduce costs by only giving the absolute minimum needed. http://www.medicare.gov/Pubs/pdf/11046.pdf

I read that the DME sends someone to your home to decide which device to give you, after your doctor prescribes it as necessary.
DME actually means "durable medical equipment", and is defined in the Medicare law (Title XIX -- yes, I had to look that up!), and refers to the equipment rather than the provider, but other than that, that's my understanding of the situation as well.

There are many, many studies on mortality and morbidity when people lose the ability to leave their homes. The Medicare position is I believe financially irresponsible.

I think the chances are better with private insurance companies, which have more flexibility to make their own rules. But they do tend to follow Medicare's lead.

The last I knew, the Muscular Dystrophy Foundation would help with power chairs but not Segways. That was a few years ago. I keep meaning to attend one of their events and try to do a bit of education... But I'm certain that far more Segways have been funded through private donations than commercial or governmental insurance.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 03:04 PM   #5
Violet
Violet is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
There are many, many studies on mortality and morbidity when people lose the ability to leave their homes. The Medicare position is I believe financially irresponsible.
Yes, they should provide more than the bare minimum.

I could understand them being willing to provide a scooter, but not a Segway, however, as Segways are a lot more costly. (Unless someone's disabilities made it so a Segway was the only one they could use.) They might argue they have a bigger learning curve (which may not be true, but they would say it), and they wouldn't understand how safe a Seg is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob.Kerns View Post
DME actually means "durable medical equipment", and is defined in the Medicare law (Title XIX -- yes, I had to look that up!), and refers to the equipment rather than the provider
The providers are commonly referred to as DMEs though. Misuse of terms/abbreviations happens a lot.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote