SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
JM Wilber
JM Wilber is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Oxygen tank works good lol
JM Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
I was wondering, what if they see me walking, getting on and off the Segway, pulling the Segway, and climbing stairs?

Couldn't they say that was evidence and not believe my claims? I am just worried that will happen. Because I would dismount before reaching the stairs and they would see this. I appear healthy.

Edited to add: Obviously IMO they should not question me and believe me. Just because someone can climb a short flight of stairs (or a long one) doesn't mean they can walk a mile around the place.
I don't know if different states have different definitions of disability or not--ask your doctor's office or license bureau. Here it has to do with able to walk a certain distance without assistance. This should not be a problem for you, but it wouldn't hurt to be well informed. Those hidden disabilities can make the healthiest appearing person still be disabled.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #13
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violet View Post
I was wondering, what if they see me walking, getting on and off the Segway, pulling the Segway, and climbing stairs?

Couldn't they say that was evidence and not believe my claims? I am just worried that will happen. Because I would dismount before reaching the stairs and they would see this. I appear healthy.

Edited to add: Obviously IMO they should not question me and believe me. Just because someone can climb a short flight of stairs (or a long one) doesn't mean they can walk a mile around the place.
An ability to do a single task, with the assistance of a segway (a segway will assist you in pulling it, and pulling it up the stairs) is in no way any sort of proof that you do or do not have a disability.

I broke my back, but could and did still walk. It hurt a lot, but I did it because I could not stay where I was. Having walked did not mean my back was not broken.

There is no automatic correlation to having a disability or not and being able to walk a few steps or not. Even your example of the ability to walk a mile or not is not a good judge of if a person has a disability or not.

If you feel you have a disability, and your doctor agrees and testifies to the same either in a letter or some other mechanism, that is all that it takes. What an observer sees you do or not do is not much of a factor, whether or not they believe it does.

I would not give that much power to others, over what I do.(Even though many would happily take it if allowed)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:25 PM   #14
JM Wilber
JM Wilber is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default JM Wilber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
A summary of your state EPAMD laws is a good idea if you are not disabled (and even if you are.) I also carry a summary of relevant parts of the ADA.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=25902 You are welcome to copy this.

If you are nervous about the whole thing, why not program the DOJ Help line number into your cell phone. Just reaching for it may resolve the problem. <G> You can always ask the DOJ about the issue and then ask them to explain it to the person who is hassling you...

ADA 2010 makes it quite clear that they cannot ask anything more about your medical conditions than "Are you disabled?" or ""Do you have a medical reason for using this?"
They are also required to accept your state issued disability card as sufficient proof--and failing that, they must accept your verbal assurance if there is no visual evidence to the contrary. (You are using the Segway, for Pete's sake! Now if you were turning cartwheels...)

There should be no need whatever to carry that prescription. It is none of their business...

Firm courtesy is your friend when issues arise. You do know what the law says and if they know that you can--and will-- file a formal complaint, it may help the situation. Then do follow up if necessary. It doesn't hurt to contact supervisors/ city/ state/etc officials, also newspaper and TV etc to resolve the issues if you can. Then if not, it is your responsibility to use the DOJ resources for the benefit of the rest of the disability community. If we don't, who will??

These issues can be irritating or much more than that, but they are also an opportunity for educating those who have authority to enforce laws. It pays to remember this always. If you can, it wouldn't hurt to have a friendly conversation with small town police. Give them a copy of your handout, offer to give them a ride or at the very least demonstrate how well the Segway controls. Prejudice is being down on something you are not up on!
I was told that is there responsibility to know not my responsibility to tell them I get more problems over a portable oxygen gen
JM Wilber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 03:37 PM   #15
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM Wilber View Post
I was told that is there responsibility to know not my responsibility to tell them I get more problems over a portable oxygen gen
Why on EARTH would anyone give anyone problems over a portable oxygen gen?

Aside from being evil, that is?

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote