SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-23-2016, 09:20 AM   #1
Earmic
Earmic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Segway gear oil

Okay, so I noticed a handy drain plug at the bottom of the gear boxes on my SE when I removed the wheels last fall. I'm kind of a "clean oil freak" (my mother in law calls it a disease) What kind of oil is it, and should I ever check it/change it?
Earmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #2
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earmic View Post
Okay, so I noticed a handy drain plug at the bottom of the gear boxes on my SE when I removed the wheels last fall. I'm kind of a "clean oil freak" (my mother in law calls it a disease) What kind of oil is it, and should I ever check it/change it?
From what I understand, the gearboxes are sealed on purpose...and the oil is not designed (does not need to be) to be changed.

On the other hand: fifty years from now if you are rebuilding an early-century Segway, then sure change the oil

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 09:33 PM   #3
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

my instincts is to change it too last summer my gear whine got noticeably louder on a hot day - now that it is cooler i almost hear nothing viscosity must be changing?i have a newish 20 14 X2 coming up on 8K
my goal is10 K i ride easy and very slow because im partially disabled i ride on one leg mostlyi lean it to get on and off changing to new gear oil would make me feel better any advice?=leave it alone?
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:29 PM   #4
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
my instincts is to change it too last summer my gear whine got noticeably louder on a hot day - now that it is cooler i almost hear nothing viscosity must be changing?i have a newish 20 14 X2 coming up on 8K
my goal is10 K i ride easy and very slow because im partially disabled i ride on one leg mostlyi lean it to get on and off changing to new gear oil would make me feel better any advice?=leave it alone?
Ride to a reputable vehicle service place (Goodyear, local outfit, whatever). Ask them - if they say it needs changing, then they will have the correct materials, tools, and expertise to do it.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #5
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Ride to a reputable vehicle service place (Goodyear, local outfit, whatever)....
With all due respect, how would an automotive service place know whether a Seg even HAS a gearbox? I guess they might be able to look at the oil and see if it is contaminated, but even then, what would they replace it with, without knowing the requirements/specifications? What does the Segway SE manual say about this?

Quote:
last summer my gear whine got noticeably louder on a hot day - now that it is cooler i almost hear nothing viscosity must be changing?
Gear whine could be different on hot/cold days because of expansion/contraction of materials in the gearboxes. Oil viscosity may contribute, or not.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegwayUtah View Post
From what I understand, the gearboxes are sealed on purpose...and the oil is not designed (does not need to be) to be changed.
He noticed a 'handy drain plug' and then you reply that 'the gearboxes are sealed'???

The transmission in my Ford has no drain plug, but you can rest assured I'm not going to try driving it 10 years or 100,000 miles without changing the lubricant

No specific knowledge about Seg gearboxes, but I think every 2,500 miles or so, mine will get changed - Probably using new ATF as the lube unless I lean something different before then

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #7
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post

No specific knowledge about Seg gearboxes, but I think every 2,500 miles or so, mine will get changed - Probably using new ATF as the lube unless I lean something different before then

Don
If an internal combustion engine can go over 3000 miles and spins at over 3000rpm, why in the world would you change it so soon?

Your rear differential on your car is between 50 and 60,000 miles for a oil change...
Do what you like, we know of many Segways with 50,000 miles that all that gets replaced is the plastic drive gears....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 01:49 PM   #8
SegwayUtah
Advanced Member
SegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really niceSegwayUtah is just really nice

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Hey Don,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
He noticed a 'handy drain plug' and then you reply that 'the gearboxes are sealed'???
For the vast majority of riders, Segway maintenance is comprised of the following:
1. Charge the Segway what it's not in use.
2. Check tire pressure and keep the tires filled to the recommended PSI.
3. If you ride so much that the tire tread wears down, replace the tires.

When I mentioned that the gears are sealed, I meant that AFAIK (going back more than a decade) they're designed to not need any maintenance. At least not for a very, very long time. But again, it's your Segway...so if you already understand the technicalities of changing the oil that's certainly within your right to do so. Your Segway would be special!

Chris
SegwayUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

im sure it isnt coupler noise that im hearing ill need to figure out ifa coupler plastic compatable oil before i change if i was healthier i would drill and tap my own fill and drain holes and install a magnetic plug good thing i have two x2s i do wonder if llc could have gotten and installed a batch of gear oil that didnt meet their specs if i change i might try a can of Stp gear oil additive?
coming warm weather will give me my final decision this is my only"wheelchair so ill be careful im mostly welcomed right into most places riding once they see my blue disabled tag and my cane hanging from the handlebar with two zip ties i ride ride right to my seat without botheri lean it get off then one step off to my seat
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 04:09 PM   #10
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
Ride to a reputable vehicle service place (Goodyear, local outfit, whatever). Ask them - if they say it needs changing, then they will have the correct materials, tools, and expertise to do it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
With all due respect, how would an automotive service place know whether a Seg even HAS a gearbox? I guess they might be able to look at the oil and see if it is contaminated, but even then, what would they replace it with, without knowing the requirements/specifications? .
Those are good points -- do you have a better suggestion?

My thought was that - if they don't know and can't find the gearboxes, they will say so. If they don't think it needs changing, they will say so. If they think it needs changing, then they will be able to figure out what's required, and do it.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote