SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #11
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

I've put about 100 miles on my miniPro. My verdict is that it isn't nearly as safe or comfortable as an i2, or even a gen1 machine. The LeenSteer doesn't work the same way, so you can't confidently go across bumps at angle like you can with an i2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:04 PM   #12
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gihgehls View Post
I've put about 100 miles on my miniPro. My verdict is that it isn't nearly as safe or comfortable as an i2, or even a gen1 machine. The LeenSteer doesn't work the same way, so you can't confidently go across bumps at angle like you can with an i2.
But its cheap and made in China....Isnt that all Americans really want?
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 08:57 PM   #13
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Are you saying that the MiniPro isn't able to traverse an angled surface like an i2 would? If one were gliding down a sidewalk and came to a driveway that angled down to the street, would the MiniPro try to turn "uphill" if one were to continue on straight across the driveway? Do the gyros in the base not compensate for uneven surfaces side to side? If that's the case, then that is a serious design flaw IMO.

I just received a MiniPro yesterday, but I need to make a steering handle before I can use it. I have limited mobility, and I just don't have enough functioning to use the leg steering. It would only ever be an accessory to my i2s, and I don't expect perfection for 600 bucks. Still, I'd think that it should be able to recognize (and compensate for) uneven surfaces. I look forward to giving it a try.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:29 AM   #14
dl1955
dl1955 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
Are you saying that the MiniPro isn't able to traverse an angled surface like an i2 would? If one were gliding down a sidewalk and came to a driveway that angled down to the street, would the MiniPro try to turn "uphill" if one were to continue on straight across the driveway? Do the gyros in the base not compensate for uneven surfaces side to side? If that's the case, then that is a serious design flaw IMO.
This is exactly how I felt when going at a angle. Definitely not a SEGWAY quality unit but it is good for the price. You have to remember to keep the knee bar 90degrees to the platform otherwise it will turn on you.
dl1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #15
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl1955 View Post
This is exactly how I felt when going at a angle. Definitely not a SEGWAY quality unit but it is good for the price. You have to remember to keep the knee bar 90degrees to the platform otherwise it will turn on you.
Ah. That's the beauty of the i2/x2 Segways. The platform can move at angles beneath you, and the machine will maintain course until you move the steering handle left or right. It immediately recognizes changes in terrain and compensates accordingly. Once I finish the steering system for the MiniPro, it will be interesting to compare the two. I've seen lots of the videos of MPs going off-road, so I just assumed they automatically offset the steering for uneven terrain.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:17 PM   #16
dl1955
dl1955 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Ah. That's the beauty of the i2/x2 Segways. The platform can move at angles beneath you, and the machine will maintain course until you move the steering handle left or right. It immediately recognizes changes in terrain and compensates accordingly. Once I finish the steering system for the MiniPro, it will be interesting to compare the two. I've seen lots of the videos of MPs going off-road, so I just assumed they automatically offset the steering for uneven terrain.
Me too. I've see so many MP videos of people going offroad. One thing I noticed is that they keep a gap between both legs and the knee bar so if it bounces around they don't hit the bar.

I2/X2 are so much better in that sense, but with a price. I love my X2
dl1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:32 AM   #17
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl1955 View Post
Me too. I've see so many MP videos of people going offroad. One thing I noticed is that they keep a gap between both legs and the knee bar so if it bounces around they don't hit the bar.

I2/X2 are so much better in that sense, but with a price. I love my X2
I got the handlebar finished and was able to take my MP out for a spin. It's nowhere near as smooth or intuitive as an i2/x2, but I think a large part of that has to do with the weight. It's about a third of both the weight and size of an i2. I think It's an amazing little machine for the price. I will definitely be using the heck out of it. At 30 pounds, it's just way more manageable. No special lift or carrier required . Just throw it in the car and go! However, I certainly WON'T be using it as a commuter. The i2 is a much better option for moving about the city. One thing is for sure, I feel truly fortunate to even have such options.
Old 11-28-2016, 02:56 PM   #18
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Quote:

I just received a MiniPro yesterday, but I need to make a steering handle before I can use it. I have limited mobility, and I just don't have enough functioning to use the leg steering. It would only ever be an accessory to my i2s, and I don't expect perfection for 600 bucks. Still, I'd think that it should be able to recognize (and compensate for) uneven surfaces. I look forward to giving it a try.

Yes and no, there is some compensation, but it doesn't happen 1:1 with the leensteer movement. If you put the thing on a very steep side slope, it will turn downhill, but it isn't as sensitive as the gen2 and doesn't really add anything to safety. It only makes it "just usable" on a sideslope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:47 PM   #19
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Yes and no, there is some compensation, but it doesn't happen 1:1 with the leensteer movement. If you put the thing on a very steep side slope, it will turn downhill, but it isn't as sensitive as the gen2 and doesn't really add anything to safety. It only makes it "just usable" on a sideslope.

That is what I found. It does a pretty good job for being such a small, lightweight device. I was expecting it to take me for a ride when I first tried traversing an angled surface. It handled it well! I'm always cautious on the MiniPro, anyway. With more time and use, I'm sure it'll be come second nature to me. I'm sure I'll never be able to barrel over terrain like I do on the larger machines, but that's not really why I got the MP in the first place. I'm having a blast exploring and tinkering with these things.