SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #41
BarryT
BarryT is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Each time I look at that picture I get a very uncomfortable feeling "if he were to slip". It's precariously funny.
BarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 08:41 PM   #42
philippeseg
philippeseg is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by budsiskos View Post
wow that babble fish program really butchers english
always better than my english
Old 08-05-2008, 01:09 AM   #43
scotty1024
scotty1024 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Its no Segway killer

The Sony hardware is a joke that Toyota is trotting out for everyone to see so Toyota can get something out of all the cash they sank into buying up Sony's robotics division. Its another cheap "green" publicity stunt.

Can you climb a 30 degree slope? No way. Which means its zero useful in a city like SFO or SEA. With those wheel covers how steep a slope could it handle? I'm thinking 5 degrees at most. Segway aren't morons to not have put those on the Segways.

Can those teeny tiny wheels handle curb cuts and uneven sidewalks? My Segway nearly chatters my teeth out of my head commuting through Microsoft's campus. I can't even begin to imagine the pain those tiny wheels would inflict if not just toss me off when trying to clear a curb cut.

The devices are only useful in the environment Toyota has mentioned: showing off how green they are in little demo rides around a demo track in an airport where folks have time to kill.

What's that? Use them to move around inside the airport? Where do you put your bag sir? Commute to work? Ditto on the bag.

My Mom thought they should put one of those Susan Summers absizer's on the smaller one so the nice japanese lady could work out her thighs while she was riding around. Maybe they could hook that into the regenerative circuit and capture some energy back into the battery?
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:58 PM   #44
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I spoke with Toyota Europe today regarding the Winglet. They told me that it is a "development" vehicle and currently they have no plans to introduce it into Europe before 2012. We'll see!
When I explained my position (Segway dealer in the UK) they showed a great interest in the "Hospital/Airport" side of our market.
It's early days and they are not giving much away, they will only show what they want us to see.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:12 AM   #45
bugsbenny
bugsbenny is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Another concept after i-swing... not a threat, I believe.

Benny Ng
(P) +852 2624 8899

bugsbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:00 PM   #46
SEGsby
SEGsby will become famous soon enoughSEGsby will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

In a strange way, it further legitimizes and advertises the Segway as a comparison product, which might even lead to helping them sell more i2's and x2's. I hope Toyota keeps pushing the concept to the masses.

SEGsby

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviators99 View Post
Of course I'm getting e-mail from everyone I know, with a link to a Toyota article. They are doing a good PR job.
SEGsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 07:48 AM   #47
ledebuhr1
ledebuhr1 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

This shows that Toyota has the capability to make some competition to the segway. True that this first design does not really compete with the Segway but its just a concept.
Will Segway sue Toyota for coping patents? dident Segway have a patent for self-balancing two-wheeled scooters?
ledebuhr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 11:16 AM   #48
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

The point that is consistantly missed in this thread is that the Wingthing doesn't have to compete with Segway or be a Segway killer: The Segway was DOA in Japan, ruled to be a motorcycle, too big and too fast for sidewalk use. Now, Toyota has designed a smaller, under-powered device that will be legal in Japan right out of the box. If they can generate enough interest and prove that it can integrate with the pedestrian environment, then they can attempt a larger, more Segway-like model. And if Toyota can convince the government to loosen up their sidewalk objections, they will already have brand recognition plus marketing and distribution networks in place, effectively locking Segway out of the domestic Japanese market. Wingthing II will be the Segway killer.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

JohnM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:53 AM   #49
BobbyG
BobbyG is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Why a segway "Killer"?

It's interesting to see several posts here about Segway killers/competitors. Since Segway's overall penetration is so small, the market seems to be more about overall growth than market share. New categories often need several players to establish a large market, each offering different advantages to meet different consumer needs.

Plus, if a big brand like Toyota gets involved, local governments might make streets and sidewalks friendlier overall.
BobbyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #50
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
The Segway was DOA in Japan, ruled to be a motorcycle, too big and too fast for sidewalk use.
I'm not at all surprised by this, but do you have any references (or specifics that might help in a search) for me to follow up on for more detail?

Japan's not a very disabled-friendly place in general, but I think a Segway would do better than a wheelchair. Curb cuts would be an issue. But often there's no curb, just a painted line.

Tobacco smoke and air quality are big issues for me, too. But there's places I'd like to show my family, and I really ought to meet my mother-in-law someday...

Segways really would make a lot of sense in Tokyo.

They'd also be more likely to pass regulatory hurdles if they had a Japanese partner.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote