SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #21
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

I don't know what temperature the materials in the Lithium Ion batteries "freeze", but it's not likely 0C. According to one article, a typical maximum negative temperature is -40, but this may be different with Segway's Saphion battery technology (If it's still called that). This same article says that Lithium Ion batteries are happiest when stored with a 40% charge, but....

Not charging the batteries until spring may cause much bigger problems. If the battery drops below Segway's minimum voltage, the Seg's electronics will not allow the battery to be charged. You get a red charging light and have to get the battery rejuvenated, if you are lucky.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:55 AM   #22
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee
Default Another cold question

I rode my i2 a few miles in low-30s yesterday, and parked it in the heated lobby of my destination for about 3 hours. When I was ready to leave, the Infokey would turn on all its icons, then shut off, with the i2 seeming not to respond, although there must have been communication or the Infokey wouldn't have done anything. After trying several times, I thought to try starting after plugging the Seg in, which worked.

Seems I've seen something about that here before. Does the Seg get into some strange mode due to the cold? I think that some radio boards had a problem with cold, but it had had plenty of time to recover from the cold ride. If there hadn't been an outlet available, would I have been stranded, or had to remove the batteries to reset?
Old 01-01-2015, 01:08 PM   #23
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
I rode my i2 a few miles in low-30s yesterday, and parked it in the heated lobby of my destination for about 3 hours. When I was ready to leave, the Infokey would turn on all its icons, then shut off, with the i2 seeming not to respond, although there must have been communication or the Infokey wouldn't have done anything. After trying several times, I thought to try starting after plugging the Seg in, which worked.

Seems I've seen something about that here before. Does the Seg get into some strange mode due to the cold? I think that some radio boards had a problem with cold, but it had had plenty of time to recover from the cold ride. If there hadn't been an outlet available, would I have been stranded, or had to remove the batteries to reset?
This sounds like the classic radio board failure that was common when the i2 first came out. Mine too did not exhibit the behavior at first, but did after a couple years.

The board acts up after exposure to cold, not so much only when cold. So if the unit gets cold then warmed up later, the symptoms you described can still persist. (If I recall the posts of that time). I did not personally do too much investigation on this topic, as I leave my segway in a heated cellar, I did not see this issue much. Once I discovered I too had a radio board that needed service, I had it replaced back in 2008. (I have an early 2006 i2)

I know that plugging in the segway and starting it, then pulling the plug works, but I have not heard of anyone pulling the batteries and then re-installing them in the cold to get it to work. I wonder if that will work or not.

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #24
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Thanks, Carl. I don't know if pulling batteries would work either.

If this had happened when I was out in the cold and away from outlets, it could have been a bad day. I'll definitely keep that in mind next time.

Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
This sounds like the classic radio board failure that was common when the i2 first came out. Mine too did not exhibit the behavior at first, but did after a couple years.

The board acts up after exposure to cold, not so much only when cold. So if the unit gets cold then warmed up later, the symptoms you described can still persist. (If I recall the posts of that time). I did not personally do too much investigation on this topic, as I leave my segway in a heated cellar, I did not see this issue much. Once I discovered I too had a radio board that needed service, I had it replaced back in 2008. (I have an early 2006 i2)

I know that plugging in the segway and starting it, then pulling the plug works, but I have not heard of anyone pulling the batteries and then re-installing them in the cold to get it to work. I wonder if that will work or not.

Good luck.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:24 PM   #25
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Does anyone know if leaving it in security mode will go around this problem? I have used security mode in the past, and not experienced this cold weather issue, but again, I had my radio board replaced many years ago, and have not had this issue since...

I am thinking that if a person is concerned that this problem may still affect their machine, it may be worth the effort to leave it in security mode, if this will prevent the radio board from shutting down...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 01-03-2015, 06:38 AM   #26
bob yarbrough
bob yarbrough has a little shameless behaviour in the past

5 yr Member

Daily, inside my part time warm work place, I have leaned my Segway against the wall, unplugged, in security mode for many years now. Have never experienced any cold weather problems similar to those described.

be safe,
enjoy your glide...

Bob Yarbrough
the PONY SEAT guy

the PONY SEAT
bob yarbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 10:02 AM   #27
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
Does anyone know if leaving it in security mode will go around this problem? I have used security mode in the past, and not experienced this cold weather issue, but again, I had my radio board replaced many years ago, and have not had this issue since...

I am thinking that if a person is concerned that this problem may still affect their machine, it may be worth the effort to leave it in security mode, if this will prevent the radio board from shutting down...
In this mode how much power is used?(per hour)... Or is the real power used when wheels lock up and alarm goes off?...
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:35 PM   #28
KSagal

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
In this mode how much power is used?(per hour)... Or is the real power used when wheels lock up and alarm goes off?...
This is a good question, and I have no definitive answer. I have left it against the wall in security mode for hours and only lost a bar or so, but that is without it being moved.

If I am at a meeting at the town hall, as an example, I leave it in security mode, mostly because it is a curiosity. If people touch it, it beeps. If I turned it off and locked it, people would still touch it. This way it kind of self secures itself.

I have not done this as much for the cold or even for the avoidance of theft, more to keep the looky loos away...

Old 01-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #29
Seginaway
Seginaway will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default Gliding in the cool or is that COLD . . .

Cold Segwayin' is all about the clothes, the wind and proper battery management.

I regularly glide in sub 32F weather and, occasionally, as low as 0F (which is outside the OEM recommendations). My newest change this year is to ditch the helmet in favour of a warmer Bomber type headdress. I know my safety risk has changed (and I've been a BIG proponent of helmets) but it's easier to glide in the cold with this simple unsafe setup then the summer helmet, ear muffs and face guard which don't really fit that well altogether.

Trigger is 9 years old and I use a heater in a heated (50F) garage to keep him warmed up prior to a glide. Also, I've found that turning him on and setting him up in balance mode for 15-25 minutes plugged in before a glide makes the start, stutter, shutdown a less likely occurrence during the initial ride in sub 32F environments but, it is still a regular occurrence (batteries are 8 years old after all).

Leaving Trigger outside during my stops around town, even for a limited time in a cold environment generally results in the start, stutter, stop, restart action for a mile or so until the voltage evens out between the batteries. This is so even if I'm able to locate a plug. I don't leave it in balance mode, just plugged in as it could be ridden away if left on.
Seginaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #30
KSagal

I am not a hood guy, but the hood on my new work jacket (mine is from Dickies, but there are also Carhart similar ones) that the company gave me, is large enough to go around a hard hat or helmet. That is one option for those who want warmth and a helmet.

Of course, a hood will reduce your ability to turn around look.

Also, I have knit hats that can be worn on the head, under a helmet. They exist as well. I do not generally wear a helmet on the segway, but do wear a hard hat on job sites frequently enough to have and know about how to stay warm in one... And most of the tricks are the same for hard hat and helmet.

I respect that people can make their own assessments as to what is safe or unsafe. Since I choose to glide without a helmet, I clearly have chosen that I do not believe that to be unsafe. While I respect that Seginaway has expressed his opinion, I am happy to say that his cold weather setup that does not include a helmet is potentially less safe than wearing a helmet, I would stop short of saying it is unsafe.

Also, since my eyes water when I am very cold, I might argue that there are more than one types of safety, and keeping warm and able to be attentive may be a larger positive factor for safety than wearing a helmet in certain circumstances...

People should do what they are comfortable with, both personally and from a safety perspective.

Last edited by KSagal; 01-05-2015 at 04:07 PM..