SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-18-2014, 02:39 PM   #11
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
Yes, the XT will function perfectly fine on NiMH or Li-Ion. To the best of my knowledge they were released with Lithium but I have (in many cases) used NiMH on an XT and had no issues.
can i useNiMH batteries on my new X2?

Last edited by rotorblades; 04-18-2014 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: no spaces-spelling
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #12
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
No, none of the Gen 2s allow the use of NiMh.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:53 PM   #13
rotorblades

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tritium View Post
No, none of the Gen 2s allow the use of NiMh.
THANKS ALL YOU SMART FOLKS i now have 27 miles on mine im quite proudsince i have a severe brain injury.today im trying to run my battery down
Old 07-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #14
segaddict
segaddict is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Airlines

If you have lithium equipped Seway, Unless you are going to pull the batteries and carry them into the cabin, forget it. I bought an i80 and use nickel metal hydride solely for airline travel. There you ride it to the plane door and they store it in the cargo hold like a stroller. I'd love to travel with my i2, but not until FAA rule change.
segaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:45 AM   #15
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
HUH? Boy, I'd sure like to challenge them on this and DEMAND that they accept my i2 on the basis of this published information. I've taken my 167 in the hold with no problem. and when I got to my destination I was the last one off and the grounds crew were standing around at the door of the plane waiting to see me ride it off into the sunset.... They had never seen one before....
Hi Lily:
I am just starting to investigate what would be involved with me flying with the segway. My first question is "What do you do when you have arrived at your destination with the segway ?" I have only flown like 2 or 3 times total, but at my destination, I took a taxi to the hotel. How do you get the segway to a hotel, that kind of thing. Thanks for your advice.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:58 AM   #16
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwoynaro View Post
Hi Lily:
I am just starting to investigate what would be involved with me flying with the segway. My first question is "What do you do when you have arrived at your destination with the segway ?" I have only flown like 2 or 3 times total, but at my destination, I took a taxi to the hotel. How do you get the segway to a hotel, that kind of thing. Thanks for your advice.
That will probably depend on the situation. In my limited experience, I just checked with the hotel about their shuttle service before I made the reservation. I'm guessing that most of them, at least those anywhere near the airport or a major area of a city will have a handicapped shuttle service. They should pick you up at the baggage area and deliver you to the hotel.

As, I said my experience in flying to a hotel or from hotel to the airport is limited...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #17
rotorblades

Lightbulb

Quote:
why dont airlines allow lithium batteries?do they catch fire sometimes/
or is it the chemical reactionof lithium withaluminum. is there a safe container we could use to fly?
Old 07-28-2014, 05:11 PM   #18
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
why dont airlines allow lithium batteries?do they catch fire sometimes/
or is it the chemical reactionof lithium withaluminum. is there a safe container we could use to fly?
These batteries do not catch fire, but not all lithium batteries are as safe, as there are different types of lithium chemistry styles in batteries.

Airlines lump all lithium batteries together, instead of dealing with each type of chemistry, each type of mixture and each level of safety. They made this particular rule with too broad a brush.

Also, airlines do allow lithium batteries, but only small ones. Ours in our segways have too much lithium, by the airline standards, to be safe to fly with...

While I do wish they would update their rules to reflect the safer newer style of batteries, I also understand their fears. The new Boeing was grounded for a long while because of on board lithium batteries that over heated and caused fires (not the safer chemistry like segway batteries) and there have been incidents and even crashes that were attributed to lithium batteries having fires that could not be put out on board (also not the safe chemistry that segway batteries use).

The most efficient and powerful lithium batteries seem to have a tendency or at least the capacity to over heat in the correct circumstances. Segway batteries do not have some of the high power output, or really fast charging times as some of these other lithium technologies, but it is also a very tough battery to make have any fire issues with. Much harder than most of its class.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:16 PM   #19
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I think it is the FAA that bans large Li-Ion batteries from passenger aircraft. So under current regulations, airlines couldn't allow them if they wanted to.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #20
rotorblades

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
I think it is the FAA that bans large Li-Ion batteries from passenger aircraft. So under current regulations, airlines couldn't allow them if they wanted to.
are they allowed on cargo planes?like fed ex?