SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:11 PM   #11
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

One of the advertised Segway Battery Revivers might revive your batteries. You will have to balance the cost of trying that (with no guarantee of success), and the larger cost of a new set of batteries.

Or, if you could figure out how to send your batteries from Greece to MTOBattery, they could help.

Or, if you have the right equipment and expertise (or a friend who does), you could try just putting a surface charge on the batteries and see if they will then charge on the Segway.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthr...474#post220474

CAUTION: do not try that if you do not know the hazards involved in working with these batteries, potentially high currents, etc. etc.

Note that this would perhaps not work in a lot of cases, but it would be worth a try (if it's practical for you) before the more expensive alternatives.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 08:13 PM   #12
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, the batteries haven't been charged for about a year and a half or two
That is very bad. You have probably ruined the batteries by not recharging as specified.

Batteries discharge by themselves. Segs are intelligent about charging the batteries. Since you haven't charged the batteries for such a LONG time, it is highly likely that charge of the batteries have dropped below the minimum required by the Seg. When that happens, the Seg will NOT charge the batteries. If that's the case (and I would bet on it!), there is nothing you can do with the InfoKey to make things work.

You will need to send the batteries to someone who can (possibly), recharge the batteries enough so that the Seg will once again allow the batteries to be charged. Whether this is possible depends on whether the batteries are still any good. If they are not good, you'll have to get new batteries, or a rebuild from MTO Batteries.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 06:51 AM   #13
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dale@thecoys.net View Post
One of the advertised Segway Battery Revivers might revive your batteries. You will have to balance the cost of trying that (with no guarantee of success), and the larger cost of a new set of batteries.

Or, if you could figure out how to send your batteries from Greece to MTOBattery, they could help.

Or, if you have the right equipment and expertise (or a friend who does), you could try just putting a surface charge on the batteries and see if they will then charge on the Segway.

CAUTION: do not try that if you do not know the hazards involved in working with these batteries, potentially high currents, etc. etc.

Note that this would perhaps not work in a lot of cases, but it would be worth a try (if it's practical for you) before the more expensive alternatives.

I read here about potential success using a battery reviver and the risk/cost of getting one and it might not end up being successful. Is there any other use or benefit to having and using a battery reviver if you are not experiencing any issues or is that only of use if you have issues that you are trying to recover from ? Does it help maintain the batteries in normal every day situations ?
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #14
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. Interesting read. It would make sense to give it a try the way you did it but I'm still not sure if I would try and fix it by myself. Are there any battery schematics available to see where the charger should be connected?

Sending the batteries overseas is a hard task, I am not sure of the cost or if they can be send by air freight. I think there are some considerations about lithium batteries.

The reviver is a though that I have consider as a solution. But how could I check that there is hope to bring them back to life? You mentioned that there are few revivers advertised. I am only aware of the http://www.dgbint.com reviver. Are they also others available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman View Post
That is very bad. You have probably ruined the batteries by not recharging as specified.

Batteries discharge by themselves. Segs are intelligent about charging the batteries. Since you haven't charged the batteries for such a LONG time, it is highly likely that charge of the batteries have dropped below the minimum required by the Seg. When that happens, the Seg will NOT charge the batteries. If that's the case (and I would bet on it!), there is nothing you can do with the InfoKey to make things work.

You will need to send the batteries to someone who can (possibly), recharge the batteries enough so that the Seg will once again allow the batteries to be charged. Whether this is possible depends on whether the batteries are still any good. If they are not good, you'll have to get new batteries, or a rebuild from MTO Batteries.
Is it possible for a reviver to do the trick instead?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 12:37 PM   #15
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by energetic View Post
It would make sense to give it a try the way you did it but I'm still not sure if I would try and fix it by myself. Are there any battery schematics available to see where the charger should be connected?
Please understand that I am saying this as kindly as possible. If you are not able to figure out where to connect a charger, you should not consider using that method.

Quote:
The reviver is a though that I have consider as a solution. But how could I check that there is hope to bring them back to life? You mentioned that there are few revivers advertised. I am only aware of the http://www.dgbint.com reviver. Are they also others available?
Yes, http://www.mtobattery.com/

You can check with those two sellers, to see "if there is hope to bring them back to life". The answer will likely be "there is hope but no guarantee".
Old 03-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #16
energetic
energetic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Please understand that I am saying this as kindly as possible. If you are not able to figure out where to connect a charger, you should not consider using that method
Actually I didn't look at all the batteries' connectors while swapping them, this is why I am asking.

Quote:
Yes, http://www.mtobattery.com/

You can check with those two sellers, to see "if there is hope to bring them back to life". The answer will likely be "there is hope but no guarantee".
I was looking for the term "reviver" the other day at mtobattery.com, therefore the "LITHIUM BATTERY RECONDITIONER – UNLIMITED (NON-RETURNABLE)" is the one?

To sum up, I will definitely have a look at both options.
and

Proud Member of
energetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:46 PM   #17
dale@thecoys.net

5 yr Member

Quote:
Actually I didn't look at all the batteries' connectors while swapping them, this is why I am asking.
There are two larger female connections that you would use, (and several smaller male ones for other purposes). There will be sufficient residual charge left in the battery that you can use a voltmeter to determine the polarity.

(Positive terminal is nearest the labels)
Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 PM   #18
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Hello,

That is a long time with no charging. It is definitely possible that our battery reconditioner can allow your batteries to work again. As Dale has indicated there certainlly is a chance that they will not work after reconditioning. Our reconditioner is the top of the line device for working with Segway lithium batteries. I can assure you that if the batteries have usable life left in them our product will enable them to work.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #19
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default battery serials?

hi im wondering if there is a list of batteryserials?i finally got one battery pulled and want to look up what exactly i have here how can i know a lithium from a ni metal?battery?. the only way i could get the bolts out was to loosen them then dump it back up to let the battery and screws to fall off together.i didn't like doing it that way but now i can finally see my battery serial number. is the chassis serial a very tiny stamped on number?i can barely read it with my brain injury..a small magnet on my long Allen wrench might have helped get the screws to come out but all i have is the basics.
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #20
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Lightbulb battery serial numbers?

searching didnt find my answerso ill ask the brains on this forem
i must be obsessed with numbers. sorry i finally was able to remove my front batteryt number reads:c05300700121
isthere a place on here to post this to look up what i have?is this an 05 battery?it has worked well and charged,charges well.how can i tell if they have been rebuilt or reconditioned?

Last edited by rotorblades; 03-07-2015 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: dumb mistakes i dont see very well
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote