SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-29-2014, 02:02 PM   #21
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

For pure sine wave inverters, expect to pay appx 10 times then the cheaper alternatives, it is worth the investment as Segway's charging circuit will be working at lower temperature and both the inverter and Segway will last longer.
Pure sine wave inverters are also much heavier and has larger all round dimension than the cheaper modified sine wave inverters.

My no brand inverter looks identical to http://www.walmart.com/ip/Samlex-PST...12-VC/29773077

Most of the time it is only charging 1 Segway, the unit will handle surge/peak upto 500 Watts, continuous 300 watts output charging 2 Segways would be on its upper limited, I've tested charging 2 Segways for 2 hours (while driving) with no ill effect and the waveform still look very nice under the oscilloscope, however if one wish to charge 2 Segways often, I would recommend to purchase at least a 450 watts unit.

I also wire the inverter directly to the battery via very heavy 4 AWG cable (Just incase I want to upgrade to higher wattage unit in the future), double insulated all the way with heat shrink tube with a 50A fuse on the battery end, inverter also has a blade fuse pre installed, but I can't remember the amperage rating.

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk APP

Last edited by Amimoto; 05-29-2014 at 03:28 PM..
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 01:41 AM   #22
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default love my new segvator lift-but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
yes thanks doyouknow if the standard trailerlight plug is usually wired okfor the segvator lift?
i love my lift but with the inverter option my hand bashesinto the inverterboxif im not very carefulwhen loading there isnt roomfor the x2 adventure bag either. it makes my segway back off thelift just as im getting off.im going to have to do some rewelding.and modifying.leaning the screw more forward and remounting the plastic inverter box, it needs a plastic bag over it in rain because it has no waterproofing at all. and the plug cord has no hole in box either- oh my more mods to do.

Last edited by rotorblades; 08-08-2014 at 01:44 AM.. Reason: left out some words
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:12 AM   #23
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSegVator View Post
The SegVator uses the standard 7-pin RV style trailer plug. We utilize the aux. power circuit in this style plug which isn't typically used in most towing applications. The circuit is dedicated and powered directly off of the battery in most situations. We draw about 30amps of "spike load" when the motor first draws power and then it levels off lower, but still draws enough to require a dedicated circuit.

The power inverter draws power off of the same dedicated aux. power circuit. However, we have a relay that turns on/off power to the inverter when the running lights are turned on/off. This relay is used to help prevent running down the battery when the vehicle is shut off (by shutting off power to the inverter).

Most vehicles either have the running light automatically switch on/off with the key or the vehicle will warn you that your lights are on once the key is turned off. Without this relay, the battery can quickly drain with the vehicle off and the inverter still charging the Segway.

Again, the power for the inverter is not taken off of the running lights circuit. The relay merely senses the running lights are turned on/off to allow the inverter to receive power from the aux. power circuit.

The inverter is an optional item to the base SegVator. The inverter cannot be easily added to an existing SegVator that was ordered without one.

The Dual Kit, however, can be added at any point in the future to allow easy transport of two Segways.

More detail on wiring can be found here:

http://www.segvator.com/Joomla/image...structions.pdf
Just a quick shout-out for the SegVator. I have 2, one with the inverter, one without, and they both have run solid without any issues in all weather, year-round and it makes it uber-easy to load, unload, and x-port your seg. Cant live without it.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:03 PM   #24
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
I do not have a segvator, but a standard 4 pin light plug for a small trailer will not likely have enough current available for a segvator or power inverter. Also, the power is from the light circuit, and you would not want to draw that much current from there...

If your trailer plug is the round 7 pin type, that includes a signal for the trailer brakes, then there is likely enough current available from that plug for the segvator and/or an inverter.
yes thanks my standard round plug has enough current. if i hear the electric lift slow i let off the switch quickly then start my vehicle then it is fine. it picks upmy dual x2s nicely and holds them real securely
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote