SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
SKPeterson
SKPeterson is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Could We Take a Small Step Back?

I'm starting a new thread. Always a good idea when a NEW thought is being introduced.

Recently, Gihgehls made this statement in another thread:
"Wise words from a junior member. Everyone should look at this post as an example of how outsiders familiar with other online communities see us."

Behavior such as name calling...

...and the generally immature way that some innocent and (what could have been) minor disagreements are handled... or beaten to a sickening death. On-line forums have one primary "fault" (or feature) in common: everyone is hiding, more or less, behind the anonymity provided by the medium, whether we like to admit it or not. We're all able to "say" the first things that would fall out of our mouths if some rational thought weren't used to first filter and refine our initial emotions. Recently, I provided negative "reputation" to a member of this forum, and I pressed "SUBMIT" before my rational mind had a chance to catch up with my fingers. I regret that action, and to the person whose reputation I degraded, I offer my most sincere apologies.

I state regularly that I am not an owner, but want to be eventually. That means that I'm looking up to the other owners on this forum for inspiration and guidance. Many threads are quite good, and provide lots of valuable information. A few others, though, really color this forum in a very bad way.

The Segway is a high-tech transportation device. I (still) consider the users of such a device to be part of the upper tier in (at least) maturity, reasoned thought, and communication skills, in spite of what some YouTube videos might lead you to believe.

Lately, though, that respect has taken a bit of a hit. As another junior member, I'm asking if we could please think about how our posts make us "sound" before pressing the "SUBMIT" button. For myself, that is my pledge to this forum.

That being said, I hope I sound like I'm trying to practice what I preach.

Best wishes to all.

SKPeterson
SKPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile RE: Could We Take a Small Step Back?

You're not raining on my parade, sometimes others need to know your thoughts. It's OK to comment when you feel you need to.
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #3
Rolacoy
Rolacoy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

SKPerterson, have you ridden a Segway? Surely there is a tour near you. I think that I have seen some other posters in your area that might let you ride. I wish you lived in our area, I would have you go on some glides with me. My problem is that I live in a town of about 2000 people so there is not many places to glide here and know one to glide with. We have two Segways, but my wife does not like to use them. Segways are expensive, but many people use them for cheap transportation, could you do that, to work maybe. Maybe you could find a used one with the help of some of the people on this forum that is worth the money.

Also I agree we should think before we hit the "POST" button. BUT, there is an "EDIT" button which I have used several times. However, sometimes we need to speak very clearly to some folks so that they understand. Always nicely.
Rolacoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #4
SKPeterson
SKPeterson is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

I do not own a Segway, but have taken a couple of rides - one at a dealer, the other for a tour of Honolulu.

My ultimate goal is to get one to ride to/from work 3 - 4 days a week, during the drier parts of the year.

I was concerned about the "nicely".

SK(i)P
SKPeterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
WolfloW
WolfloW is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Have any of you heard of T3 Motion? Any thought or comparisons?

I see many pros with the T3 Patroller over the Segway... anyone have insight on this?
WolfloW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:33 AM   #6
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I have ridden both. I prefer the segway, and on most counts, since this is a segway enthusiasts forum, I think people here will agree.

The T3 is a stand up tricycle. The physics are all wrong for that to be stable in turns, and it is not.

Anyone who rides a bike or motorcycle knows that you have to lean into turns. The T3 does not facilitate this.

A car does not lean into turns. (except very high end, high tech ones that do a little) A car does not, because it weighs hundreds of times more than the rider, and it can fight against laws of motion and weights and has the excess horsepower to do so. Still, in doing this, it is very inefficient.

When you get to a smaller conveyance, like a segway, T3, bike or motorcycle, the weight of the rider is a significant issue relative to the weight of the device. Since there are not 4 wheels and a wide stance, turns can be more unstable.

I have seen that T3 can go faster on a straight run, but because it needs to slow down to maneuver, and has difficulty stopping on a down grade, I believe the overall points go to the segway.

I have had an occasion or two to challenge a T3 at a parade to a race of sorts, among the typical city obstacles, like curbs, curb cuts, poles in the sidewalk, pedestrians, and the like. Most times the challenge went unanswered, but the few times it was accepted, I won. The more straight runs, the more disadvantage I had, the more turns and incline changes we had, the more disadvantage went to the T3.

And, I am biased in that I do not like the extra size and horrible maneuverability of the T3 when compared to a segway.

Of course, there are all sorts of opinions out there. I suspect that on a T3 forum, they may feel that the T3 has advantages over the segway. They would be wrong, but that is still their choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote