SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
one other potential factor to consider is the type of tool you use to determine the amount of torque you are applying.

I use a torque wrench at work that has a pivoting head, in that when you reach the dialed in torque, the head will 'pop' or pivot about 10 degrees. This action is pretty noticeable, if you are looking for it.

Unfortunately, this type of torque wrench does not quit applying torque at that point. It is designed to tell the operator it has reached the dialed in torque, but you can easily continue to tighten bolts till they snap.

I have used better torque wrenches in the past, where they will simply ratchet freely after the dialed in torque is reached. In other words, you cannot over tighten bolts with this type.

A third type of torque wrench exists, and I have used them in the past, but not for decades, is a wrench that has a scale and long pointer that indicates the torque on the shaft of the wrench. The harder you push, the farther the needle moves. I believe you need to be careful with this type, as you can over toque pretty easily. The needle may not be reflective of the actual torque involved.

Just curious. What type to you use, and do you agree or not with me on some of my observed differences in these tools?
Mine is the cheaper 'beam' style that indicates with a needle how much the shaft is bending. They're undoubtedly less accurate than the click types, but cheaper, and probably close enough for Segway work. ;-)

This is the first and only torque wrench I've owned, and I bought it just for the Segs so I could torque the bolts to the proper spec. Then I didn't bother double-checking to see if I remembered right what proper was.

I just removed the damaged gearbox in preparation for the new one, and managed to punch out the broken bolt after grinding the threaded part flush with the flange. The head has a raised 6-lobe pattern that keeps it from turning in the recess in the flange.

I tried again to drill new holes, and it wasn't as hard as I thought. I used cutting oil and went slow. I even managed to tap one of the holes. So my idea could have worked, but one of the other bolts is so obviously twisted and stretched, that I'd worry that it's next to go. I'm afraid to look at the bolts on the other side, or those on the other i2, so I won't. Ignorance is bliss. I'll just periodically check to see that the nuts are staying tight.

I was happy to see that the elastomer looks just fine. It's lasted at least twice as long as the first ones, which basically turned to sticky dust, so I think they improved the material.

Edit:

I was in too big a hurry drilling the holes to realize that, with the bolt out, I could just glue a nut into the recess where the head had been, using steel-based epoxy.

I'll use thread-lock and a lockwasher, and think this will work just fine. Since the new gearbox has already shipped, I'll keep it as a spare, but I probably won't need it. If another bolt breaks, I'll fix it the same way.

Should be back on the road tomorrow morning.

Last edited by terryp; 05-24-2015 at 12:00 AM..
terryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 06:55 PM   #22
terryp

Default Update

For what it's worth, the fix I described above didn't quite work, for two reasons. First, although I mixed the epoxy well, and waited overnight for it to cure, the nut wasn't quite able to resist turning when torqueing to spec, tearing the epoxy loose. Second, even though I supported the flange as best I could when hammering out the top of the broken bolt, the output bearing was damaged slightly, not noticeable until the wheel was attached. So...

Once the new gearbox arrived, the first thing I did was to purchase a quality click type torque wrench - not only for the wheel nuts, but the gearbox mounting bolts too. I followed the directions that came with the gearbox to the letter, using window cleaner, then alcohol to remove the old threadlock compound from the holes in the base. I set the wrench for 40N-M, and started tightening the bolts. As I was tightening the third one, I heard a very loud snap prior to the wrench clicking, and realized that I'd just stripped the threads in the base. Argh.

So I got to try using Helicoils for the first time. It worked so well that I went ahead and installed them in the other two holes as well. After about an hours' work, I'm finally back in business.
Old 06-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #23
terryp

Default Inside the old gearbox

I couldn't resist opening the old gearbox before discarding it, just to see how the oil looked, and how much wear showed on the gears after close to 12,000 miles.

I couldn't get the bolts to budge, so drilled them (16) out. The oil was a little dark, but still honey-colored. The gears look like they were freshly cut - no noticeable wear at all!

I've always assumed that a Seg's end-of-life would be due to a mechanical failure, but I think I can safely say it won't be a gearbox!
Old 06-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #24
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
I couldn't resist opening the old gearbox before discarding it, just to see how the oil looked, and how much wear showed on the gears after close to 12,000 miles.

I couldn't get the bolts to budge, so drilled them (16) out. The oil was a little dark, but still honey-colored. The gears look like they were freshly cut - no noticeable wear at all!

I've always assumed that a Seg's end-of-life would be due to a mechanical failure, but I think I can safely say it won't be a gearbox!
Thanks for the follow up.....Some day this thread could help some one else..
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote