SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 03-31-2014, 02:42 AM   #11
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I'm down in Tucson if you want to try some working batts on it, if you've given up all hope, I may purchase it from you.

I'll call you tomorrow about it.
Or you can call me tonight at: 520-548-4120

Cheers!

Edit:

"In closing I really appreciate all the help you guys tried to give. I am thinking I need to find a Segway with bigger offroad type tires and a higher weight rating. Can you all recommend a model I should look for? I am thinking how cool it would be to take one to Burning Man so if there is a ruggedized / dust proof model that would be a plus. The dust there is talcum power fine and HIGHLY alkaline. 6-8" drifts are not unusual. Regards, Dach."

All Segways are technically "dust proof"
But I recommend you trying out a set of good batts, and if the PT works, you can purchase dirt bike style tyres for the machine, and have better traction.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 02:51 AM   #12
Dach Savage
Dach Savage is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks Michael,
I found the links very interesting. So if I might ask, just what does the reviver do? IE does it simply discharge the pack then recharge it until the BMS takes over and gets back to properly charging and managing the pack or does it interact with the packs BMS in some fashion? I havn't opened a Segway pack yet but I am wondering if each cell is monitored individually or only as a pack. I assume that there is some software handshaking between the unit and the batteries BMS that prevents the BMS from charging the pack unless the main CPU says to do so? Oh and does the Super Reviver unit work on later model Segs or just the Gen 1 Li-Ion? Regards, Dach.
Dach Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:07 AM   #13
Dach Savage
Dach Savage is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Hi Tritium,
Yah I am pretty much done with it. I just cant justify the price of new batts even at the rebuilt 1K price right now. Shame too, a couple tires 2 spokes and repaint the silver fender extensions and the thing would be darn nice. If you really are interested in it get with me asap, I put it on Ebay this afternoon for $ 850 Obo and have already had a couple inquires. I mainly just want to get back what I invested and not have to ship it. Dach.
Dach Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:38 AM   #14
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dach Savage View Post
Hi Tritium,
Yah I am pretty much done with it. I just cant justify the price of new batts even at the rebuilt 1K price right now. Shame too, a couple tires 2 spokes and repaint the silver fender extensions and the thing would be darn nice. If you really are interested in it get with me asap, I put it on Ebay this afternoon for $ 850 Obo and have already had a couple inquires. I mainly just want to get back what I invested and not have to ship it. Dach.
Ok, I'll call you tomorrow if I want to buy it.
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 05:30 PM   #15
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dach Savage View Post
Thanks Michael,
I found the links very interesting. .....

I havn't opened a Segway pack yet but I am wondering if each cell is monitored individually or only as a pack. I assume that there is some software handshaking between the unit and the batteries BMS that prevents the BMS from charging the pack unless the main CPU says to do so?....

Oh and does the Super Reviver unit work on later model Segs or just the Gen 1 Li-Ion? Regards, Dach.
Hi

We are glad you found our data interesting.

We were a Segway dealer, and even then Segway rarely shared any real technical info.
Everything we know, we have acquired ourselves, and it may or may not be absolutely correct.
Yes, each cell is individually monitored.
Yes, there is a sophisticated data exchange between a Segway and it's battery components.

Our Battery Reviver products wortk with all Segway Li-ion batteries.
We have used them on AC thru to AH batteries.

Our experience is that revived batteries go on to deliver the balance of their remaining useful life, after revival.
In the case of older, circa 2005 batteries, that may not be very substantial.

Cheers
Michael
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #16
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Dach,

In a couple posts so far, you have mentioned "2 Spokes".

All the segways I know have plastic wheels, and while you can call them spokes, the 180s also have plastic wheels with some holes in them. The holes are covered with some plastic caps.

Are you saying those plastic caps are missing? I do not believe they are structural.

If the plastic wheel is broken or cracked however, you are looking at a replacement wheel. I do not know of any repaired plastic wheels.

I am wondering if you might have after market wheels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

From the pictures he posted I think he is missing the two caps that cover the Schroeder valves.

jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 08:57 AM   #18
jimmiem
jimmiem is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Off topic, why do so many people who ride segways spell tires, "tyres"?

Or more specifically, North American gliders. I realize that tyres is the more common spelling in Europe.
jimmiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #19
KSagal
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiem View Post
Off topic, why do so many people who ride segways spell tires, "tyres"?

Or more specifically, North American gliders. I realize that tyres is the more common spelling in Europe.
I believe that there are major contributors to this forum who are not based in the US, or are not originally from here. That may account for some of the spelling.

I believe that the gen 1 machines all came with Michelin tires. That is a multi national company, but I think it is French in origin.

Some people in the U.S. may think it more sophisticated or worldly of them to spell common words in the British style rather than American style, like tyre and colour.

Y is an under used vowel. When I was a kid, it was called a "sometimes vowel". Perhaps there is a clandestine organization trying to infiltrate the American lexicon, with a goal of elevating that letter to a "most-times a vowel" status. (Perhaps they are part of the notorious ACL. [Anti-Consonant's League])

Maybe some people prefer where the 'y' is located on their keyboards, compared to where the 'i' is located.

That is it. I can stretch this no farther.

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 04-05-2014, 12:27 PM   #20
KSagal

No, wait.

I believe that some people who ride segways feel they are not given the respect they deserve, and feel minimized and marginalized, and a bit nerdy.

Because of this, they try to use larger words whenever possible. Tyres is physically a longer word than tires, in that the y takes up more space.

There it is... I have run out of stretch.