SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Default Battery Question

Hello,

I must received replacement Segways for the two stolen over new years in Tucson AZ.

They were both built in 2013 in the 49th week.

The battery serial numbers are what surprised me…

C11021300051 Rev AH
C11021300036 Rev AH
C11071300074 Rev AH
C11071300004 Rev AH

What's a Rev AH? I thought AF was the current rev.

Anybody got the scoop on the new batteries? MTO?

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #2
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Jeff, this great to hear!
AH I believe was before AF however I may be incorrect.
I do know however that I have at least one AH pair which did not come with the i2 I purchased on new years.

Edit:
I've looked at the thread "Battery Versions" and the OP seems to mention his PT having AH however no further mention of that revision is made in the thread.

Last edited by Tritium; 02-13-2014 at 11:48 PM..
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 04:43 AM   #3
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Hello,

I must received replacement Segways for the two stolen over new years in Tucson AZ.

They were both built in 2013 in the 49th week.

The battery serial numbers are what surprised me…

C11021300051 Rev AH
C11021300036 Rev AH
C11071300074 Rev AH
C11071300004 Rev AH

Hmm, I just received new batteries last night. I haven't checked the serial #'s or revs yet.

Nor figured out what I will do with my old ones (which are far from dead, but down to perhaps 60-70% range and declining).

Anyway, thanks for the heads up; I didn't even think to check the rev.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Hello,
C11021300051 Rev AH
C11021300036 Rev AH
C11071300074 Rev AH
C11071300004 Rev AH
AH is the latest version of the battery (after AF) and the cells are orange colour wrap, instead of the dark green used in the AF version.

C11021300051,36 Rev AH are manufactured on 2nd Nov 2013
C11071300074,04 Rev AH are manufactured on 7th Nov 2013

AH version Valence Cells

Last edited by Amimoto; 02-14-2014 at 05:11 PM..
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:21 PM   #5
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

FYI, the Revision AH batteries have a flaw with the case. The mounting holes for the screws do not properly align with the Segway platform. To work with this issue I recommend you install the two outside screws first and only engage them half way. Then install and tighten the center screws. After the center screws are secure you can tighten the screws which were only tightened half way. This is the best method we have found since we first noticed this problem with the Rev.AH a few months ago.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #6
Amimoto
Amimoto will become famous soon enoughAmimoto will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTOBATTERY View Post
FYI, the Revision AH batteries have a flaw with the case. The mounting holes for the screws do not properly align with the Segway platform.
100% agree with above. As if you tighten the centre 2 screws first you will not able to do the outer left hand side one. It is just amazing that after so many batteries manufactured and flaw happened on the newest batch.

However there's might be more flaw with this batch, the picture I posted above, these cells failed, and they were new. That is why it's been removed from pack and picture taken.

I also received a AH battery send from customer, after receiving it, sat on the workbench after 1 day, we start to smell burning and visible smoke coming out of the battery, we also can feel the warmth of the battery, we decided to cut open right away and stop what was going on internally by whatever means, as our workshop is not on the ground floor, and will need to access the elevator to move the smoking battery to lobby on the ground floor and travel a distance to outdoor area, this is a busy building and constantly there will be other people using the lift and heavy traffic at lobby :-|

The customer was not able to tell us what happen to the battery before it send to us, all we know was, the battery was not charging and showing Red LED.

We suspect the smoking battery was water damaged, and if we didn't cut open the battery and disconnect the wiring, the result would be much worse, as the process was just starting, and the battery still has 95% of the charge when we intervene the smoking process, as the heat was just starting to build up on the BMS board and not the cells (cells are still room temperature) look closely you will able to see the corner of the burned BMS Board (less then 2% of the board).

FYI Valence Saphion cells are very safe, it will not explode when punctured with metal nail. http://youtu.be/m2cg4mdN2pU
We are just not sure the effect on continue burning BMS Board and the melting plastic outer casing when the overall temperature rise to an unpredictable stage.

Please find below photos of more AH cells, suspecting moisture damage, however, don't ask me how did the moisture got in there because they were new. maybe moisture had access to battery during the long distance shipping from China to US back to Taiwan (the Battery is manufactured in Shuzhou China) Or I might be wrong on my suspicion (moisture) as I am just looking for better excuse!!
Time will tell, with more user report, we will know the performance of AH Battery, and hoping the only flaw is the misaligned mounting holes.

Last edited by Amimoto; 02-16-2014 at 06:05 PM..
Amimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:44 PM   #7
mikeperrymac
mikeperrymac is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default hey

Hey guys i would like to know i am buying a segway i2 i am 260 lbs and 6 foot 5 i would like to know what real world range i will get anything else i should know all i am going to do is ride it to the shops and how long can i just stand on it in one place
mikeperrymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Real world range depends on a lot of things, including your weight, hills, wind, temperature, quality of the batteries, and how fast you glide.

I know for a fact you can stand on an I2 all day long and only lose one bar or so of charge.

I also know for a fact that a new I2 with full charge will go a LOT farther than I care to go while standing on a Seg.
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

Assuming almost max speed at 12mph and range of 24 miles, that's two hours of essentially standing in one place-- something I don't want to do either.

"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #10
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

My favorite thing about the seg is that you aren't standing in one place. You are constantly shifting around. Try this, stand still for ten minutes then glide for ten minutes. When standing still not only are you doing nothing, you aren't going anywhere. On the Segway, at least when you appear to be standing still you can move toward a destination.

Another test... Take your blood sugar stand for 10 minutes and take your blood sugar. Now stand in place on a Segway and take you blood sugar. You (if you are like me) will see a larger drop in blood glucose levels on the Segway.

It takes more energy to do "nothing" on a Segway than just standing still.

The real point of the post was to see if anyone knows if the amp/hour rating of the batteries have increased between rev AF and AH revs of the batteries. My guess would be that only Jason has actually cracked open an AH so I was hoping he could ahead some light in that

Jeff

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote