SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Can someone post a picture of the timer that's shipping with new machines? Is it Segway branded? Mechanical or electronic? Just curious...
Old 10-24-2016, 12:52 PM   #12
Earmic
Earmic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The batteries in this unit seem to be fine, and charge up good. While I haven't gone on a long stretch of a ride yet, say 6+ miles or so, the power bars on the display agree with what I would think would be used up by the rides I've done.
Earmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 02:31 PM   #13
Earmic

5 yr Member

So here's what I found. Apparently there are a number of people with SE's that are experiencing the same issue as me, some have to do with certain serial numbers, others just lucky I guess. So what's happening from what I'm hearing is that one or more of the gyro thingys (can't remember the exact name) that sit in the space between the two motors, has jostled loose or is being affected by vibration of the motors at higher rpm. This is being remedied by the addition of rubber cushions somehow at the gyro(s). You could almost call this a recall, from what I'm hearing. When I explained the situation to the knowledgeable repair center tech, I didn't even get to the point of explaining the whole problem to him, he finished the story for me. It's a simple and cheap fix, materials and labor around $100. I'll be sending it back shortly.
Old 10-25-2016, 03:13 PM   #14
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Makes Sense

Thank you for posting your finding.

Explanation makes sense since the SE has a redesigned 'center island'.

During the redesign someone missed a feature/item or attempted a lower manufacturing cost solution that fouled up the inertial sensors, Balance Sensor Assembly, mounting.

- - -
Nearing six years of i2 gliding, now at 10,100 miles
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #15
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuttonChops View Post
During the redesign someone missed a feature/item or attempted a lower manufacturing cost solution that fouled up the inertial sensors, Balance Sensor Assembly, mounting.
Did you get this from an official Segway source, or is it an assumption on your part?

If it's true, it seems odd that Segway didn't recall the affected machines rather than waiting for someone to possibly get hurt

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 07:48 PM   #16
MuttonChops
MuttonChops will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post
Did you get this from an official Segway source, or is it an assumption on your part?

If it's true, it seems odd that Segway didn't recall the affected machines rather than waiting for someone to possibly get hurt

Don
Don:

Statement is my assumption based on Earmic's 11:31AM post after his discussion with SEG Tech Support.

Assumption seems logical, it happens all the time with product redesigns . . . more so when many if not all of original design team are long gone.

Do agree SEG should have done a recall or at least set-up a no cost repair program for SE units/owners having the problem. However I don't see this as a Safety Issue as my i2 does something similar under one set of conditions.
Frequently after transport by car on a Hauler my i2 is ill when first operated. Warnings Flash and speed/controls are dead slow. To date power cycles and yelling at it solved the problem.

With Earmic's new information, maybe our failing highway system of bumps and vibrations impacts the i2 sensors as well. Next time will try less yelling and more specific unit shaking and bouncing to "re-seat" the sensors
MuttonChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 12:36 AM   #17
P99Guy
P99Guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

If any one finds a common serial range or build dates for this please post.
I am purchasing one of the clearanced Camo i2se units tomorrow.
The build date is week 36 of 2016 (September)
Thanks
D
P99Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 01:21 PM   #18
Earmic

5 yr Member

It was a authorized service tech I talked to, but not at Segway. You can figure out which one, he had a list of serial numbers or ranges, but since I didn't have mine in front of me, it didn't help. He was very familiar with the problem, and as long as I get mine fixed, and the word out there, I'm good. He also said he could send me the "rubber pieces" involved with the fix (less than $20) and I could repair myself, but I can't get the center console off, there are hidden screws, didn't want any damage. The net was no help. Still would like to know.
Old 10-26-2016, 09:44 PM   #19
P99Guy
P99Guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks.
My i2se was only made 7 weeks ago so I am hoping all fixes have been applied.
P99Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #20
Earmic

5 yr Member

Not sure on that, but I'm pretty sure what caused it. Most if not all of my riding has been at the higher end of the speed range, riding with my daughter on here bike, going to the local store, etc, on good tar roads. I think the higher speed vibrations caused this.