SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:52 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Is it a Segway or a Hoveround?

Has anyone encountered this particular bit of mis-information?

I was at the hospital this morning talking with officials about improving their handicap access. It will take a while but this is the kind of response one hopes for!

Then I went to Walmart and was stopped by a woman who had apparently seen me at the hospital on my seg. She wanted to ask me some questions about my "Hoveround". I'm not sure I ever convinced her that it is the Segway that has two wheels, not the Hoveround!

Has anyone else encountered this confusion? I didn't get a chance to quiz her on where she got that idea... This might explain why Missouri's Conservation Department has completely ignored my requests over the past six years that they acknowledge that a Hoveround is a wheelchair, not an EPAMD, and that requiring a permit for its use is illegal from the git go! Obviously they haven't checked the Hoveround website as I've repeatedly suggested.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
dudeman1961
dudeman1961 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default hoveround

first question: what is that?
first answer: a segway
response: i've never seen one of those (we've never had one come here)
second question: (I don't know if ) you are allowed to use it here?
second answer: in CA, I'm classified as a pedestrian with it by law due to my disability
response: oh...
response: Sorry, we don't let them in because you might hurt others.
my answer: show them the January 2014 DOJ guidance paper
their answer: (after getting a supervisor) is to tell me to be careful and watch out for others
last ditch: I have the DOJ complaint form we can fill out, I'll need your name for the attorney generals office to contact. (they get very quiet knowing they will be named in a federal complaint) Then you get steely glares and drive away and enjoy yourself bringing joy to all who see you (especially the kids who think it's so cool).
dudeman1961 is offline   Reply With Quote