SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:05 PM   #1
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Thank God for Segways

The last two days have been a learning Experience! I just had surgery on my left elbow. Can't bend it for at least two weeks, etc. can't drive, so I'm shopping with my niece. I have learned that:

1. With a bad back, leaning on shopping cart handles for support With only one arm Does not work well!
2. Powered shopping carts that require you to hold down a little lever and steer with the same hand do not work well either. They do not stop and start smoothly, are too quick to turn and turns do not coordinate with speed. In fact the directions say to stop completely before changing direction. No wonder these devices can be such a pain for first time users in crowds.

Since I have only a thumb and little finger on my right hand, I can't open bottles efficiently, can't tear open bags unless I can use my teeth as well, etc. For the first time in my life I am feeling "disabled"! Give me a couple weeks of practice and I'll have figured out how to do anything I need to do.

In a way I'm glad all this has happened because it has given me a whole new understanding of what it means to be "really" disabled. I'm not at home so don't have my seg...and my kids have given dire warnings not to use it right now! (I might fall off it!). Something I fully intend to ignore when I get back home.... I can't load it into my car via ramps with one hand so that's not an option at the moment either.

Thank God for my Segway! And I can't wait to get back to using it!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Lily Kerns; 04-10-2015 at 03:12 PM..
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:59 AM   #2
therealzam
therealzam is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Vehicle Loading

I'm too disabled and have used it as my primary means of ambulation for almost 15 years. For vehicle loading most people seem to use a device called a SegVator. I personally use an internal crane mant for hoverround type things because I don't want s giant thing on the back of my pretty car. There are also full loading devices. What's even cooler is that most manufacturers will pay for a part of your cost if you buy a new or used car! I just bought a new Mercedes and they covered 2500!
therealzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:44 PM   #3
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Lily, With your good attitude and determination you will be back on your Segway soon. Wishing you a quick recovery.

Powered shopping carts are indded a challenge.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #4
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealzam View Post
I'm too disabled and have used it as my primary means of ambulation for almost 15 years. For vehicle loading most people seem to use a device called a SegVator. I personally use an internal crane mant for hoverround type things because I don't want s giant thing on the back of my pretty car. There are also full loading devices. What's even cooler is that most manufacturers will pay for a part of your cost if you buy a new or used car! I just bought a new Mercedes and they covered 2500!
I have 2 SegVators, but would be very interested in exploring other options. Can you provide any specifics as to your crane and also you insights on how it works ? Thanks very much.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 04:40 PM   #5
jgbackes
jgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the roughjgbackes is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

http://www.liftandgomobility.com/pro...oom-lifts.html

If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jgbackes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 05:23 AM   #6
rwoynaro

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbackes View Post
Thanks very much ! If you use one of these for your segway, which one do you use ? I know you have a SegSaddle. Any news on whether they are going to go back into production at all ? I have two SegSaddles and a Lean Seat, I really like the SegSaddle, but my rocker is worn out on one of them and I cant find replacement parts
Old 04-22-2015, 06:15 AM   #7
Gimpy guy
Gimpy guy is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Did a search and found this.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=12499

It's old but looks like an option.
Gimpy guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:28 AM   #8
rwoynaro

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpy guy View Post
Did a search and found this.

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=12499

It's old but looks like an option.

Thank you . Simplicity is a virtue also, it looks pretty easy.