SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 03-22-2015, 08:21 AM   #1
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default Why an adapted Seg vs electric wheelchair?

Just curious as to other folks reasons for an adapted Segway vs a power wheelchair?
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #2
Robert-A
Robert-A is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

For me the seg is an extension of my manual wheelchair, not a replacement. Like a bicycle, go farther, faster, easier. Also, like a bike it does require an acceptance of risk and possible injury.

And the seg is just plain fun.
Robert-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #3
Tuna
Tuna is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Can't speak from personal experience but I've been researching them long enough enough that I feel confident that my impressions are accurate. First I agree with Robert-A, a seated Segway will not be a good "replacement" for a power wheelchair for most people but will be an excellent "complement" to one. Most power wheelchairs perform poorly in outdoor environments, ie: sand, grass, gravel, etc. Because of their larger wheel diameter and self balancing attributes Segways handle these surfaces much better even with the narrower i2 wheels. Additionally one can operate a seated Segway "no hands" at least to some extent. This leaves you free to do more things with your hands while you're gliding, ie: hold an umbrella, a loved ones hand, use your imagination. Seated Segway operators report feeling greater self respect in that you sit higher and don't have to look up to the able body populace all the time. Lastly, like Robert-A says they're "just plain fun". 12.5 mph as opposed to six or eight has got to be better.

On the down side I don't think they'll perform as well in side as most power chairs, ie: not as easy to control, may not fit under tables and desks, not as comfortable seating. And like Robert said there is the "risk" factor. They definitely aren't as safe as a wheelchair. For those with a higher level of ability I believe that they would make an excellent addition to a power wheelchair.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
Can't speak from personal experience but I've been researching them long enough enough that I feel confident that my impressions are accurate. First I agree with Robert-A, a seated Segway will not be a good "replacement" for a power wheelchair for most people but will be an excellent "complement" to one. Most power wheelchairs perform poorly in outdoor environments, ie: sand, grass, gravel, etc. Because of their larger wheel diameter and self balancing attributes Segways handle these surfaces much better even with the narrower i2 wheels. Additionally one can operate a seated Segway "no hands" at least to some extent. This leaves you free to do more things with your hands while you're gliding, ie: hold an umbrella, a loved ones hand, use your imagination. Seated Segway operators report feeling greater self respect in that you sit higher and don't have to look up to the able body populace all the time. Lastly, like Robert-A says they're "just plain fun". 12.5 mph as opposed to six or eight has got to be better.

On the down side I don't think they'll perform as well in side as most power chairs, ie: not as easy to control, may not fit under tables and desks, not as comfortable seating. And like Robert said there is the "risk" factor. They definitely aren't as safe as a wheelchair. For those with a higher level of ability I believe that they would make an excellent addition to a power wheelchair.
i would highly recommend a seg i was in a push chair
i now have 500 miles on my new x2 it is very difficult to find a seatfor any models

my x2 is wonderful inside places- on sand or very easy going over the dreadedthreshold bumps riding mine has increased my "core strength and controllearn to lean against something to get on and off and you will be happy.the biggerfatty- soft 4psi tires really helpme in many ways.
messGEme ill be happy to answer and help on any questionsthat im able toi doubt that you will want to go 12.5mph but you could. i prefer3 to 4mphan old guy with a stroke shouldnt be goin fast.-me im talkin about.ivegot 500miles that no one pushed me.doing a 360on a seg is far better than having to back a power chair up.i will entertain questions of a more prsonalnature if you wish

Last edited by rotorblades; 03-23-2015 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: last thoughts
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:49 PM   #5
gracefuli
gracefuli is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Don't you worry about fatigue and needing to sit to rest? Or getting on and off quickly in fear of shut down?
gracefuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:27 PM   #6
rotorblades

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefuli View Post
Don't you worry about fatigue and needing to sit to rest? Or getting on and off quickly in fear of shut down?
i was at first becausei have a very bad back and leg. it has built up my endurance. i snagged a segsaddle but never used it much. if i had a big soft seat like an ally seati might never have built up my endurance. the segsaddle seat isnt large enough for my skinny butt.so i never really rode with it just sat on the floor.
i didnt have any help fixing a leansteer joystick either though i badly wanted one. maneuvering my seg is exactly the same control inputas you do with hovering a helicopter.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #7
rotorblades

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefuli View Post
have only had one shutdown because i didnt charge for a few days i usually plan on a spot ahead to lean against a wall or pole in case i need to rest or have a shutdown.or to stretch my tendons.if i need to sit i sit on my cargo plateit needs a cushion but it allows a short rest i lean it then sit on a cargo platewhile it is leaning.

Last edited by rotorblades; 03-24-2015 at 12:44 AM..
Old 03-24-2015, 04:07 AM   #8
Robert-A

5 yr Member

Being a paraplegic I need a full time seat on my seg. I have experimented with different seats and stabilizers since 2008 on both gens of segways. In my opinion the majority of segway wheelchair mods for sale are overkill with electronics and are way too expensive. The one closest to fit my needs is the Blumil.com from Poland. And it's price at $1500 is the the lowest I've seen. If I buy one I will post updates.

I have always felt that there is a need for stabilizers that can be used by those who ride the seg standing but just need a little help getting on and off. I'd like to hear any feedback.

-R
Old 03-24-2015, 08:32 AM   #9
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert-A View Post
Being a paraplegic I need a full time seat on my seg. I have experimented with different seats and stabilizers since 2008 on both gens of segways. In my opinion the majority of segway wheelchair mods for sale are overkill with electronics and are way too expensive. The one closest to fit my needs is the Blumil.com from Poland. And it's price at $1500 is the the lowest I've seen. If I buy one I will post updates.

I have always felt that there is a need for stabilizers that can be used by those who ride the seg standing but just need a little help getting on and off. I'd like to hear any feedback.

-R
I've said from the first time I was on one, that it needed landing gear for that very reason!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #10
Robert-A

5 yr Member

Thank you Lily. If I build, buy or steal one you will be the first to know.