SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use

Notices

Special Needs, Mobility and Disabled Use Information and discussion for those with special needs interested in the Segway.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:33 PM   #11
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Sounds fascinating. The majority of disabilities are unable to walk or stand for any length of time. While a Segway may be a great way to get around in general, it is not coming to an airport near you any time soon, as the police who use them are already under fire at several locations for being a safety hazard. At SFO, they use bicycles in the concourse and those are dangerous enough. "
"Actually, disabilities that cause difficulty lifting, difficulty sitting, and difficulty reaching are all more common than disabilities that affect walking. Regardless, a wide variety of disabilities require a wide variety of accommodations, and only a qualified professional can determine if an accommodation is appropriate. It is not up to you to decide which accommodation you like best.

Moreover, your message shows that you have very limited knowledge of Segways. Segways are actually safer than bicycles and can be used in large groups without causing any problems.

Considering you are unfamiliar both with Segways and with disabilities, I am disappointed that you have apparently been given the authority to decide whether Segways are an appropriate way to handle disability. Your actions may even be discriminatory and could result in further action being taken against you."
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #12
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
"Actually, disabilities that cause difficulty lifting, difficulty sitting, and difficulty reaching are all more common than disabilities that affect walking. Regardless, a wide variety of disabilities require a wide variety of accommodations, and only a qualified professional can determine if an accommodation is appropriate. It is not up to you to decide which accommodation you like best.

Moreover, your message shows that you have very limited knowledge of Segways. Segways are actually safer than bicycles and can be used in large groups without causing any problems.

Considering you are unfamiliar both with Segways and with disabilities, I am disappointed that you have apparently been given the authority to decide whether Segways are an appropriate way to handle disability. Your actions may even be discriminatory and could result in further action being taken against you."
This is not a United site per se, but apparently a service site established to screen questions, etc with out having to pay higher airline wages. I had not heard of this before but you could go to directly.com for their information. I get the impression that they do not have authority, just sharing information to the best of their ability... It would be interesting to know if or how united actually monitors or stands behind these responses.

This particular person is apparently a former United employee and I sensed some bitterness there... After I got the final gratuitous response from her, I forwarded that message to the person at directly.com who handles complaints, saying simply that I felt they would want to know what kind of attitudes were being expressed. I have not had a response yet nor did I expect one this soon.

I'm not going to pursue it any farther. Some battles are worth fighting personally, some are better left for others who can do something about it to deal with.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 10:44 AM   #13
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Oh well. That statement upset me so much that I kinda couldn't help myself...
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #14
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SegNerd View Post
Oh well. That statement upset me so much that I kinda couldn't help myself...
I wasn't that happy either! Ignorance and intolerance go together too often....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote