SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 12-15-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default Death knell for Segway

It is contract renewal season for Segway dealers and Segway Experience Centers (SECs). Suffice it to say that we will no longer be an SEC as of January 1st and I have spoken to several dealers and SECs who are coming to the same concusion.

At a time when competing products are increasingly vying for pieces of Segway's market, it is a shame that INC doesn't seem to appreciate the value of dealers and tour operators to their bottom line. Tour operators, in particular, are the only "face" of the company that most of the public sees and we trigger many, if not most, of the sales in the consumer market. That, in turn, fuels the parts, service, and accessories sides of the business.

Despite our hopes after the latest acquisition, I'm afraid that the downward slide continues...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:28 PM   #2
SegNerd
SegNerd will become famous soon enoughSegNerd will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

I try not to post "Segway is doomed" posts because they often get very negative responses - but I have to say, I too am quite concerned.

All it would really take at this point is a press release from Ninebot saying "We have centralized all production to our homeland" and that would be the end of Segway as we know it.

I am not necessarily predicting that, and I certainly don't want that to happen, so please don't take this as "troll bait." I'm just saying that I'm worried.
SegNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #3
bvelke
bvelke will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I've defended INC for many years against claims like "They made a policy decision that I don't like, therefore they are doomed."

But I can tell you that a large segment of the dealer/SEC community is getting very angry. If INC loses a substantial number of them, then I think that the effect would be obvious to anyone outside of Bedford.

Maybe they'll go back to selling directly on Amazon. That worked out great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bvelke; 12-15-2015 at 02:09 PM..
bvelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

I'm just as concerned that the recent reports of hoverboards catching fire and exploding might cause some legislators, who might not know the difference between the various self-balancing vehicles, to just ban them all. You frequently see them all being referred to as Segways, so the media certainly doesn't seem to know the difference.

My state's EPAMD law was expanded to include one-wheel devices such as the Solowheel. I haven't checked recently, but it's possible that hoverboard-style devices are now allowed too. There are going to be MANY more around after Christmas presents are opened. Just one of those exploding near pedestrians is all it would take.
Old 12-16-2015, 06:39 AM   #5
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryp View Post
I'm just as concerned that the recent reports of hoverboards catching fire and exploding might cause some legislators, who might not know the difference between the various self-balancing vehicles, to just ban them all. You frequently see them all being referred to as Segways, so the media certainly doesn't seem to know the difference.

My state's EPAMD law was expanded to include one-wheel devices such as the Solowheel. I haven't checked recently, but it's possible that hoverboard-style devices are now allowed too. There are going to be MANY more around after Christmas presents are opened. Just one of those exploding near pedestrians is all it would take.
I am assuming Segway has a lengthy track record of it's product NOT catching fire spontaneously, and that it would differentiate them from Chinese knock-off products ? I understand how the press /legislators in comments don't know the difference or point it out when referring to them, but I would have to think that is different from enacting legislation. At least hopefully it is.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
GlideGuy
GlideGuy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I have noticed that the reports of fires have NOT deemed them to "Segways"...rather, they have been calling them "hoverboards".

Prior to the reported fires, I saw many reports involving the hoverboards calling them "Segways".
GlideGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

The catching fire thing is exactly one of the things Segway worked on for years to ensure it could not happen in its battery design. You can do lithium-ion batteries right, or you can do them cheap. You rarely can do both. Obviously the "hoverboard" manufacturers have the same problem common among Chinese manufacturers -- quality control.

As for Segway heading out the door altogether with its Bedford facility, I think that's just pure speculation. The Bedford offices still bring a lot of value to the company and I think there's still a lot they do. But as for INC not listening to its dealers, that's been a long-standing issue for years and years. If it's gotten worse, that's really too bad, since they are the public face of the company.

Then again, they're still using the same website template I developed over a decade ago when I worked there. So... yeah... not exactly moving forward much any more.

John
Old 12-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #8
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Then again, they're still using the same website template I developed over a decade ago when I worked there. So... yeah... not exactly moving forward much any more.

John
"Simply moving" is their slogan. Let's hope they do keep on moving.