SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:04 AM   #11
Sharkie
Sharkie will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Payne View Post
All your points are valid, Jim, about this being a private board, etc., etc., etc.

Except, of course, it's not YOUR private board and, therefore, not up to you to set the rules.

When Pam, or John, or one of the other owner/moderators feels the need to chastise someone for content and/or language in their postings, I'm sure they'll make their displeasure known at that time.

Until that time... if you see a word, or a phrase, or something that disturbs your sensibilities... see that little "x" up in the right hand corner of your screen?

Click it.

Hmm, I was not in any way stating that I had any authority on this board, nor did I say I was offended by what I had read, nor was I offended by what I have read on this board. I don't know why you jumped to this conclusion, but having just re-read my message, I was pretty clear in saying that you have to follow the rules that are set out on this board. To make it clearer, I don't make the rules, and I don't enforce the rules, but I try to follow them. I really don't need you telling me what offends me, or how to handle it. Don't jump on me for your lack of understanding!!!!

Jim
Old 01-31-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

And here I was trying so hard not to offend.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 02:10 PM   #13
Timezkware Tim
Timezkware Tim will become famous soon enoughTimezkware Tim will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Wow, I can't believe the hundreds of words typed on this, as if the subject were brand new.

Freedom of speech? Sorry, it doesn't extend to offensive or damaging or threatening language in public. Same reason you can't yell "fire" in a theatre. If you are yelling god**** it in a bar, no one will care, but if you do it in a mall, you can be arrested.

As far as using this language on MBs, most PG type boards like this one have a policy about swearing, INCLUDING obvious masking of offensive words. There is even common software that will substitute offensive words, used by MANY boards.

If you know that a word or phrase will be offensive to a percentage of people on an open MB, it's simply rude to use it, masked or not. Masking is just a way around the auto-censor, but it still offends people.

Tim
Timezkware Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:05 PM   #14
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

The comments about language here remind me of my early working life. I started out as an apprentice watchmaker with Rolex when I was 16. The guy that taught me, John Barnes, was a deeply religious man who would not tolerate bad or offensive language. Included in that are terms (probably quite British, thinking about it) like "blimey". This is alleged to be derived from "God Blind Me".
Now, just take a moment to imagine trying to learn the intricate art of watchmaking and not uttering so much as a damn or blimey, let alone any of the more, shall we say, expresive expressions. You spend over an hour repairing a very very small part, loose concentration for a second and, ping, it's airborne and probably never to be seen again. Somehow, "Whoops" just does'nt cut it!!!!!!!!!

Sorry kind of hijacked the thread, but thought it might lighten it up a bit.

Oh, and Tim, your right, just because we substitute **** does not stop people "reading" the word. I'm guilty and will try to avoid it in future.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
jryan
jryan will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

I am starting to rethink moving to CA in a few years. I have never heard of something so atrocious as being able to be arrested for saying god ####. You see this phrase does not qualify as being protected under the freedom of speech, however it is also (at least not in WI) not at all illegal to say or scream or whatever in public! Please, someone, tell me that I cannot be arrested for saying this in a CA mall or anywhere in CA public. Otherwise I will choose a less hitleresque place to live!

Jeremy Ryan
jryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 04:50 PM   #16
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryan View Post
I am starting to rethink moving to CA in a few years. I have never heard of something so atrocious as being able to be arrested for saying god ####. You see this phrase does not qualify as being protected under the freedom of speech, however it is also (at least not in WI) not at all illegal to say or scream or whatever in public! Please, someone, tell me that I cannot be arrested for saying this in a CA mall or anywhere in CA public. Otherwise I will choose a less hitleresque place to live!

Jeremy Ryan
The way my high school civics teacher used to put it. "your constitutionally guaranteed freedoms end at the point in which they infringe upon the freedoms of others". I think that means, if in yelling something people find offensive you cause them to riot, you have impinged on their right to not be trampled [extreme example, obviously]. In Queen's road, HK you can step into the street and yell out "fresh dog meat for sale" and the crowd that may gather is yelling "how much?", whereas if you did that at Westminster kennel club you will be pummeled. Like Karl said, different things warrant different reactions to the same words or rules. I don't think that necessarily makes CA "hitleresque", its just that its a mircrocosm of the US so there are alot more different kinds of people sensative to a wider variety of things, contained in a smaller area.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:01 PM   #17
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Crap, I was going to keep my mouth shut.

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:27 PM   #18
jryan

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillPaxton View Post
The way my high school civics teacher used to put it. "your constitutionally guaranteed freedoms end at the point in which they infringe upon the freedoms of others". I think that means, if in yelling something people find offensive you cause them to riot, you have impinged on their right to not be trampled [extreme example, obviously]. In Queen's road, HK you can step into the street and yell out "fresh dog meat for sale" and the crowd that may gather is yelling "how much?", whereas if you did that at Westminster kennel club you will be pummeled. Like Karl said, different things warrant different reactions to the same words or rules. I don't think that necessarily makes CA "hitleresque", its just that its a mircrocosm of the US so there are alot more different kinds of people sensative to a wider variety of things, contained in a smaller area.
I certainly understand this and understand where if a person is offended they will react to whatever you said. What I was simply saying is, if you can get arrested for saying something as minor as god **** then that is hitleresque. If someone is offended and yells back at you or turns around and decks you in the face then that is their reaction to your action, that is normal and could happen anywhere if you said anything.

If you get arrested, however, that crosses a line and is no longer just a reaction to an action. What could you even be charged with? I suppose if the cop is a real @$$ you could get a disorderly conduct ticket but certainly not arrested. If, in CA, you can get arrested for saying god **** I'm sorry, but to me that is hitleresque. If you can get beat up or called out for saying it, well, that's just normal!

Jeremy Ryan
Old 01-31-2008, 05:56 PM   #19
BillK
BillK will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

JRyan -
For as odd a place as California is (I have a number of relatives out there) they certainly know how to swear, and they do it in public. Trust me.

Cut someone off on the freeway and you will certainly get their "drift" quickly. At times they even have people shooting guns on the freeway. It is NOT a hitleresque place. No more than any other place.

I would bet that if you went into a restaurant where you live and shouted the Fbomb (as it has been put here) loudly and pointed to some big burley fellow in the restaurant you will get the same reaction there as you will in California

Bill
BillK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:03 PM   #20
jryan

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK View Post
JRyan -
For as odd a place as California is (I have a number of relatives out there) they certainly know how to swear, and they do it in public. Trust me.

Cut someone off on the freeway and you will certainly get their "drift" quickly. At times they even have people shooting guns on the freeway. It is NOT a hitleresque place. No more than any other place.

I would bet that if you went into a restaurant where you live and shouted the Fbomb (as it has been put here) loudly and pointed to some big burley fellow in the restaurant you will get the same reaction there as you will in California

Bill
Well that's good to know! I didn't think it would be possible to get arrested for swearing in CA! I'm not saying that if you swear at someone and then get beat up that you have a reason to complain because you don't. All I was reacting to was the post that said that you could get arrested for saying god **** and that is crossing a line I do not feel safe crossing!

Jeremy Ryan