SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default Liability

I just say it's not insured for other riders, and if you hurt yourself, someone else, or damage property, where does that leave us? If they persist, I ignore them and go on my way.
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 PM   #12
Cube128
Cube128 will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I recall one time I was gliding down the sidewalk and a minivan pulls up alongside me and a girl of about 13 yells out the window and asks if she can have a ride. I yell back sorry, but I have to get home. I had been riding for about an hour as it was to downtown and back and was eager to get home. No matter, the girl's mother accellerates, pulls into a driveway across my path and blocks me, and the doors of the minivan open and the kids pile out and the girl runs up to me and asks again for a ride. I'm kinda shocked at this point, but I really don't see any option other than relenting. She got her ride, the mom got a picture of her on the Segway and they all left happy.
Cube128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #13
wwhopper
Advanced Member
wwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to beholdwwhopper is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default It's happened to me too

I was on the National Mall meeting a long lost Segway Chat bud for a glide. It was the early days, and he was very happy to offer demos to anyone who showed an interest. Some busty young thing, who was used to getting what ever she wanted from men, came up to me and demanded a ride on the Segway.

I said "NO, I don't give Demos," she got very upset and was quite miffed. She never got her ride, from either of us, as she became more obnoxious the longer she did not get what she wanted. Poor thing she was so used to getting her way!
wwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:51 PM   #14
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube128 View Post
I'm kinda shocked at this point, but I really don't see any option other than relenting. She got her ride, the mom got a picture of her on the Segway and they all left happy.
I guess that's the difference between where you live and where I live.

A van pacing me and engaging in conversation, then stopping and blocking my path would be enough for me to pull out the cell phone and start dialing 911.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:06 PM   #15
Mr_Laurenzano
Mr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enoughMr_Laurenzano will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Lightbulb Radio Shack...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
I just say it's not insured for other riders, and if you hurt yourself, someone else, or damage property, where does that leave us? If they persist, I ignore them and go on my way.
...Not to mention the monopoloy game peice, but the wowwee line, I park my seg up aganist that big picture window and low and behold, six little munchkins one that said, bumb against the glass. [It parks there],c'
Mommy look!!!!, {jumpedonandstoodstill}, blink...
I bought the power converter for my stabiscope, and thanked mom, with a smile,
Crash
"Damn kids."; gotta love um they will pay your SS someday.
Mr_L
Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 AM   #16
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member
Default We hope...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Laurenzano View Post
..."Damn kids."; gotta love um they will pay your SS someday.
Mr_L
The ones raised like that one will most likely be living off the rest of us rather than being productive.

Who, me? Cynical?? Naaaaaaahhhh!!!
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 05:16 AM   #17
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

I'm with Pete on this.

We do (as you can imagine) many, many, many events. Some allow us to give demos, others don't. We also, for obvious reasons, glide everywhere we can.

We have found that the surest way to get people to stop asking is to tell them that for insurance reasons we are not allowed to allow others to use the machines (this is true, btw) in that environment.

We then encourage them to come to the showroom or meet us at one of our regular demo periods.

That will, most of the time, deflect all questions and keeps everybody happy.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #18
Eric Payne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_Seg View Post
... (w)e have found that the surest way to get people to stop asking...
Steven,

I think you may have missed it here, just a bit.

Had the child, or the woman, been asking for a demo, I would have patiently explained why I don't let people do that.

This child, and her mother, didn't ask. They didn't demand. They didn't assume.

They issued an order.

"My mommy said I could ride that." Then, the way she stood there, directly in front of Gilligan - It was quite clear I was supposed to just step off and hand Gilligan over to her. Period. And for me to do anything else but step off and hand Gilligan over was a "big deal."

When did it become acceptable for children, when they don't get their way, to simply begin screaming (and tossing out one or two minor colorful words in that screaming)? This isn't the first instance of seen that indicates there are quite a few families where children have the final say-so in family matters.

Had I, or any of my sisters, behaved in such a way - in private, let alone in public! - there would have been some form of punishment... not a parental rebuke to the mean "old man."
Old 01-28-2008, 01:47 PM   #19
Desert_Seg

Desert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to beholdDesert_Seg is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member

Eric,

I understand what you are saying and I didn't miss the point. I may have not been clear my reply.

My point is that we have learned over 3 years to use that simple reasoning, regardless of how the person acts, and trust me, we've seen as bad as what you encountered, and worse.

So, rather than creating a scene and / or getting people mad at us (you), we have found a method that works most of the time and defuses the situation immediately.

I know what your saying about acting in that manner, I couldn't imagine doing that nor having my kids do that. Unfortunately some folks haven't yet grasped the parent vs friend concept.

Steven
Desert_Seg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #20
nickyboy
nickyboy will become famous soon enoughnickyboy will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Like so many dealers we do the events circuit and have had the "why won't you let my child ride" scenario. 99% of the time the weight issue cures the problem, especially when I explain it may be that they can go forward, but cannot "transfer" enough weight to be able to stop.

Another thing that happens here in the UK is that we get requests to take a Seg to someones house for a demo. I did it once, in my early naieve days, and 3 of his mates all appeared and wanted a ride! Now, we "charge" to visit anywhere over 30-40 miles away. Usually £35 -£45 which is fully refunded with the purchase of the Segway. That sorts the serious from the free gliders.

Southern Segway
Tel: 0845 619 0007

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote