SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > General Discussion

Notices

General Discussion Miscellaneous topics and for general social, non-Segway discussions.

Old 08-30-2007, 10:14 AM   #1
RAY-NER
RAY-NER is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default U.S. Congressman on i2

Here is Congressman Adam Schiff (CA District 29) riding my i2 Segway at a recent "Clean Air Car Show" in South Pasadena, CA. He spent at least 20 minutes on the ride throughout the venue getting applause as he waved to constituents. Now if only we can get the entire Congress to take a ride, maybe they'll legislate mandatory use for all senior citizens like me (subsidized of course). RAY-NER http://schiff.house.gov/HoR/CA29/New...ly.htm?image=9

Last edited by RAY-NER; 08-30-2007 at 12:27 PM..
RAY-NER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Asking for Segways to be subsidized by the government, even in jest, would not be helpful to anyone.

Please take that thought out of your mind and put it away.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Five-Flags
Five-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the roughFive-Flags is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member
Unhappy Lighten up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quade View Post
Asking for Segways to be subsidized by the government, even in jest, would not be helpful to anyone.

Please take that thought out of your mind and put it away.
A little levity is not a threat to the stability of the country, Quade. Perhaps you need to increase your meds. I'd much rather see the government subsidizing Segways than the current pork practices. (Google "pork barrel project" for some examples.) How about Senator Stevens, who has managed to get over three billion dollars in pork barrel projects for Alaska since 1999. Might that have gotten a few Segs4Vets???? And there are a few more members of the Senate that would like to surpass that total...

Of course the system isn't going to change -- we have the best government that money can buy -- but a little humorous comment doesn't need to be suppressed.
Five-Flags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-Flags View Post
Of course the system isn't going to change -- we have the best government that money can buy -- but a little humorous comment doesn't need to be suppressed.
Quoted for truth.
hellphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 PM   #5
quade
quade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the roughquade is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member

Wow. You guys really don't get this do you?

It's not about destroying the country, it's about the image the general public has of the device and the owners.

Say it's "a little humorous comment" if you like, but if someone made "a little humorous comment" about how the KKK had the right idea, I certainly hope you'd be all over him.

Jokes -do- matter.

Recently my boss was talking about one of his good friends that had just turned 65 and how they were both joking about their Social Security payments were now going to pay for their country club member ships. To them this was just a joke. To the room full of employees, some of which were making minimum wage . . . this was pretty close to "let them eat cake."

Again, jokes -do- matter. People read this web site.

Last edited by quade; 08-30-2007 at 01:32 PM..
quade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:21 PM   #6
hellphish
hellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura abouthellphish has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Wow. You guys really don't get this do you?

It's not about destroying the country, it's about the image the general public has of the device and the owners.

Say it's "a little humorous comment" if you like, but if someone made "a little humorous comment" about how the KKK had the right idea, I certainly hope you'd be all over him.

Jokes -do- matter.

Recently my boss was talking about one of his good friends that had just turned 65 and how they were both joking about their Social Security payments were now going to pay for their country club member ships. To them this was just a joke. To the room full of employees, some of which were making minimum wage . . . this was pretty close to "let them eat cake."

Again, jokes -do- matter. People read this web site.
Man, sometimes I think the Segway community is incompatible with the internet.
Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
quade

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellphish View Post
Man, sometimes I think the Segway community is incompatible with the internet.
Possibly!

The real issue is that the internet, and in particular Forums and Chat Boards, aren't very good at conveying inflection and nuance.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
ian purvis
ian purvis is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

So these 3 segways in a bar, English, American and Australian ........
ian purvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:26 PM   #9
hellphish

Quote:
Possibly!

The real issue is that the internet, and in particular Forums and Chat Boards, aren't very good at conveying inflection and nuance.
And the corollary to this is that the internet is a horrible place to be taking things so seriously. Seriously.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:58 PM   #10
BillPaxton
BillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the roughBillPaxton is a jewel in the rough

Someone didn't get their nap today...

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. ~Ernest Hemingway
BillPaxton is offline   Reply With Quote