SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #1
SegLegs
SegLegs has a spectacular aura aboutSegLegs has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member
Default Segway of Northern New England - Closed

Hi Everyone,

I've been a member of this community since we opened in 2003. As of 1/22/16, we are no longer an authorized Segway dealer.

For thirteen years, we saw the fledgling turbulent company go up and down, and try to learn how to handle a dealer network. We saw them through the good times and the VERY VERY bad times. We supported them when we didn't have to...and in return, we received an EMAIL notification that we did not purchase enough units last year so they terminated our contract.

No discussion, no let's talk about it, nothing, they gave us 24 hours and shut us down.

Regarding the number of units purchased in 2015...some of you may know that our core business is that we are a network heavy truck dealerships for Kenworth Trucks (Segway had its own building). Prior to July 1, we had four Kenworth locations, 2 in New Hampshire, 2 in Vermont. On July 1 we acquired two additional dealerships in Maine, and we are looking to open two more, so we will have 8 total rooftops for selling Kenworth Trucks.

The point being, we are growing our Kenworth business, and I'm now an official successor to take over the dealerships essentially step in as the Owner/President/Dealer Principal.

I mention this because I'm sure you can well imagine that Segway took more of a back seat in 2015 as we had some major acquisitions. So did we purchase fewer units? Yes, but really? The whole thing to me is nuts. Loyalty means nothing today.

The good thing for me is that I now have more time to concentrate on what I do best, spec and sell Kenworth trucks, and run our NH stores.

So, to all of my friends and customers on this board, THANK YOU for your business over the years, I will be moving on and up in my new role - and right now, that's ok with me.

Thanks again!

MaryBeth Alosa
General Manager/Owner

New England Kenworth
24 Hall Street
Concord, NH 03301
www.newenglandkw.com

Family Owned and Operated Since 1917 - Serving New Hampshire - Maine - Vermont
SegLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
Tritium
Tritium will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

That is ridiculous but I'm glad you're now able to allot full time to what you do best!

-HALO
Tritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 04:33 PM   #3
dgbint
dgbint will become famous soon enoughdgbint will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Best wishes MaryBeth

I understand all too well.
We too were one of the 'originals'.

We stuck with them through thick and thin, but for 5 years only.
One day a new hire of theirs turned up on our doorstep and told us how to run our business.

I thanked him and bid them farewell.

Thank goodness we didn't stick it out for 13 years.

Michael
www.dgbint.com

Last edited by dgbint; 02-12-2016 at 05:03 PM..
dgbint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

MaryBeth, they lost a valuable dealer in losing you all and they won't even recognize it until it's far too late.

I guess they have other ideas on how they're going to sell these things. Sorry you were treated so badly. It's definitely not the company it once was.

John
Old 02-13-2016, 07:47 PM   #5
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
MaryBeth, they lost a valuable dealer in losing you all and they won't even recognize it until it's far too late.

I guess they have other ideas on how they're going to sell these things. Sorry you were treated so badly. It's definitely not the company it once was.

John
I believe that their policy of forcing dealers to make arbitrary quotas or lose their franchises goes back to the early days. It makes no sense to me why they treat their enthusiastic dealers the way they do. Isn't a dealer who under-performs (in their opinion) better than no dealer at all?

I'd hoped that their relationship with their declining dealer network would improve under Ninebot, but apparently it hasn't. Sorry to see two more great dealerships shut down. I'm sure their customers appreciate all the good service they've received, and that we all wish them the best.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #6
SegLegs
SegLegs has a spectacular aura aboutSegLegs has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Thank you all for your kind words. And yes Terry, the quota numbers go way back to the beginning. That said, it has never been a consistent policy and would change with the wind (management/ownership) which to me is the same thing.

My apologies, I hate to come across as bitter, but to me, Segway never knew how to properly handle a dealer network. They worked hard at making it nearly impossible for a dealer to stay in business. The only reason we did was because Segway was an ancillary product line for us.

They did not make it easy for us or the customers to do business with them (i.e not training us to advance further than level two service, and having to ship units back to the factory) If they truly wanted a dealer network, the should have humbled themselves and tried to learn from manufacturers who get that the dealers are their customers.

Kenworth Truck Company is our biggest OEM we work with, but we also work, have relationships with and sell products for about 30 others, including Sea-Doo/Ski-Doo, something more comparable to their product. All they needed to do was pick up the phone and ask us how those product lines work with us. I've never seen a company run quite like theirs.

Again, many thanks, I'll step down off my soapbox. It's clear to me they want to go in a different direction, because unless they allow the dealers to service their customers more completely at the dealership level, and be more profitable, they aren't going anywhere.

Be well everyone...

MaryBeth
SegLegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
JohnG
Uber Administrator
Wise Segway Elder
JohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to beholdJohnG is a splendid one to behold

Frankly, as someone who heard a lot about the dealers (and worked with some of them) over the 4 years I worked at Segway, I never understood the attitude toward them either. I think, at least early on, some of it came from the fact that we were working against the original plan, which was NOT to have a dealer network. Segway thought they could do all the training and sales themselves. When it became clear that would not be possible, they had to backtrack and arguably hired not-the-right people to setup the dealer network.

Trust me when I say in the early years, I believe that the sales plan was muddled and ever-changing. There never seemed to me to be a clear vision, nor a firm focus. I think you saw that reflected in the attitude and work with the dealers. And every time leadership changed, so did the company's focus and sales efforts.

To this day, I still am not convinced that Segway knows how to best sell their units (outside of direct sales to corporate customers who can do 10+ orders). So it's not surprising to see them giving long-time dealers the cold shoulder.

John