SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #11
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudeman1961 View Post
I was out endangering the public today in Portland at Art In The Pearl. I probably endangered a 1000 at close proximity. Lots of smiles, lots of 'what is that dude doing, oh, he has a placard'... Lots of fun. I am so grateful Mr. Kamen invented this thing. It has reopened my world!.
I know EXACTLY what you mean about a world reopened. I've been a wheelchair user for 15 years. I've been lusting after the idea of owning a Segway for 13 of those. Just a few weeks ago, I stumbled into ownership of my first Seg (a 2010 i2). It even came equipped with a SegSaddle. Most importantly, it was dirt cheap (the only way I could afford it.) Almost as if it were destined to find me.

So, in short, this machine has completely changed my life experience in going out and about. No longer do people do people see me as some sort of sad reminder of our own mortality. When you're sitting in a wheelchair, it's VERY common for people that come within a few feet of you to say, "Sorry." I've probably gotten that thousands of times over the years. They aren't apologizing for being in the way. They are actually apologizing for the fact that you're in a damned wheelchair. The stigma that comes along with using a wheelchair is pretty horrible. Ask anyone that has to use one for the rest of their lives.

In less than two weeks, I've gone from having lost the hope of ever owning a Segway to a die-hard owner that would sell his soul to help keep the company afloat. I am going to ask my friend if he can make a graphic of me clinging to my Segway with the caption, "...from my cold, dead hands!"
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #12
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ions82 View Post
I know EXACTLY what you mean about a world reopened. I've been a wheelchair user for 15 years. I've been lusting after the idea of owning a Segway for 13 of those. Just a few weeks ago, I stumbled into ownership of my first Seg (a 2010 i2). It even came equipped with a SegSaddle. Most importantly, it was dirt cheap (the only way I could afford it.) Almost as if it were destined to find me.

So, in short, this machine has completely changed my life experience in going out and about. No longer do people do people see me as some sort of sad reminder of our own mortality. When you're sitting in a wheelchair, it's VERY common for people that come within a few feet of you to say, "Sorry." I've probably gotten that thousands of times over the years. They aren't apologizing for being in the way. They are actually apologizing for the fact that you're in a damned wheelchair. The stigma that comes along with using a wheelchair is pretty horrible. Ask anyone that has to use one for the rest of their lives.

In less than two weeks, I've gone from having lost the hope of ever owning a Segway to a die-hard owner that would sell his soul to help keep the company afloat. I am going to ask my friend if he can make a graphic of me clinging to my Segway with the caption, "...from my cold, dead hands!"
Nice......Its been an absolute god sent to me also!
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:04 PM   #13
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman
Probably, but the question is whether a doctor can legitimately prescribe a Seg as a disability mobility device. As I recall, Segway never had the business rights for the disability mobility market. Technically, they would have to refute any claim that a Seg IS a disability mobility device. Further, Segs never went through the formal federal certification required for an official disability mobility device.

Thus, can a doctor write a legitimate prescription for a device that has not been formally qualified for that function?

I'm not saying people do not or should not use Segs for mobility assistance. Neither am I saying that one cannot stick their disability placard on the front of a Seg. That is the individual saying, I'm disabled and this is my Seg. Rather, I am wondering whether a Seg would stand legal scrutiny as a legitimate and certified "prescribed" mobility device.

X2's are Segs. Does everyone have to make their doorways wider to accept X2's if a doctor writes a prescription for it? I think not.
I rarely engage in these conversations anymore, even though I visit Segway chat every single day. But when someone who has been here as long as this cat has makes these statements I can't resist a comment.

Point 1: yes, the Segway is a legitimate mobility device and protected under the ADA.
Point 2: a doctor can write a prescription for anything he would like but that has nothing to do with an individual who has a disability using a device which best meets his needs for mobility. You are not required to have a prescription to utilize a device to be protected under the ADA.
Point 3: the built environment is governed under the ADAAG and the size of doorways for places of public accommodation are stipulated in those guidelines.

The rest of your thoughts are superfluous, unenlightened and uneducated BS. Here are some links you might want to visit to assist you should you care to emerge from the dark ages.

Oh and by the way if someone, anyone, is using a mobility device in a dangerous way they can be ejected and prohibited from entry until such time as they learn to exhibit appropriate behavior.

https://www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm

https://www.transit.dot.gov/regulati...ation-vehicles

http://www.draft.ngo
OK, after reading the documents on the links above, I was obviously incorrect about whether a Seg is legally considered a mobility device, under the ADA.

I was responding to the comment that appeared to say that a "PRESCRIBED" mobility device has legal standing, simply because it is prescribed. I was confusing what the ADA allows individuals to use with what Medicare/Medicaid will pay for as a mobility device.

The last I knew, a Seg was not reimbursable as a mobility device, as it had not been submitted to the required certification process. Further, Segway LLC (now Segway Inc.) never had the rights to go after the mobility market. That's why you don't see any marketing for those applications, and it's the same reason they never applied for ($) certification testing. That MAY have changed. If it hasn't, it means a doctor can write a prescription for a Seg (or anything else) but don't expect medical insurance to pay for it. I fully understand that this is different than "you can't use a Seg as a mobility device".

I did go on to say "I'm not saying people do not or should not use Segs for mobility assistance. Neither am I saying that one cannot stick their disability placard on the front of a Seg. That is the individual saying, I'm disabled and this is my Seg." My perspective agrees with those of Quadsquad and KSagal perspectives that a Seg (or many other things) can be used as a mobility aid. On the other hand, a prescription for a Seg doesn't offer a mobility impaired individual any advantages, as far as I know.

I also posed the question of whether any device (such as an X2, prescribed or not) can be used as an ADA-allowed mobility device, as . The answer is obviously no.

Thank you, Quadsquad, for clarifying this situation, which has been up for discussion MANY times over the years.

Having said that, the title of Quadsquad's posting "Obviously you've been here for nine years and learned absolutely nothing", along with "the rest of your thoughts are superfluous, unenlightened and uneducated BS were unnecessary. So, thanks for the information, but Chill, dude!
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 02:09 PM   #14
Civicsman
Civicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of lightCivicsman is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civicsman
Probably, but the question is whether a doctor can legitimately prescribe a Seg as a disability mobility device. As I recall, Segway never had the business rights for the disability mobility market. Technically, they would have to refute any claim that a Seg IS a disability mobility device. Further, Segs never went through the formal federal certification required for an official disability mobility device.

Thus, can a doctor write a legitimate prescription for a device that has not been formally qualified for that function?

I'm not saying people do not or should not use Segs for mobility assistance. Neither am I saying that one cannot stick their disability placard on the front of a Seg. That is the individual saying, I'm disabled and this is my Seg. Rather, I am wondering whether a Seg would stand legal scrutiny as a legitimate and certified "prescribed" mobility device.

X2's are Segs. Does everyone have to make their doorways wider to accept X2's if a doctor writes a prescription for it? I think not.
I rarely engage in these conversations anymore, even though I visit Segway chat every single day. But when someone who has been here as long as this cat has makes these statements I can't resist a comment.

Point 1: yes, the Segway is a legitimate mobility device and protected under the ADA.
Point 2: a doctor can write a prescription for anything he would like but that has nothing to do with an individual who has a disability using a device which best meets his needs for mobility. You are not required to have a prescription to utilize a device to be protected under the ADA.
Point 3: the built environment is governed under the ADAAG and the size of doorways for places of public accommodation are stipulated in those guidelines.

The rest of your thoughts are superfluous, unenlightened and uneducated BS. Here are some links you might want to visit to assist you should you care to emerge from the dark ages.

Oh and by the way if someone, anyone, is using a mobility device in a dangerous way they can be ejected and prohibited from entry until such time as they learn to exhibit appropriate behavior.

https://www.ada.gov/opdmd.htm

https://www.transit.dot.gov/regulati...ation-vehicles

http://www.draft.ngo
OK, after reading the documents on the links above, I was obviously incorrect about whether a Seg is legally considered a mobility device, under the ADA.

I was responding to the comment that appeared to say that a "PRESCRIBED" mobility device has legal standing, simply because it is prescribed. I was confusing what the ADA allows individuals to use with what Medicare/Medicaid will pay for as a mobility device.

The last I knew, a Seg was not reimbursable as a mobility device, as it had not been submitted to the required certification process. Further, Segway LLC (now Segway Inc.) never had the rights to go after the mobility market. That's why you don't see any marketing for those applications, and it's the same reason they never applied for ($) certification testing. That MAY have changed. If it hasn't, it means a doctor can write a prescription for a Seg (or anything else) but don't expect medical insurance to pay for it. I fully understand that this is different than "you can't use a Seg as a mobility device".

I did go on to say "I'm not saying people do not or should not use Segs for mobility assistance. Neither am I saying that one cannot stick their disability placard on the front of a Seg. That is the individual saying, I'm disabled and this is my Seg." My perspective agrees with those of Quadsquad and KSagal perspectives that a Seg (or many other things) can be used as a mobility aid. On the other hand, a prescription for a Seg doesn't offer a mobility impaired individual any advantages, as far as I know.

I also posed the question of whether any device (such as an X2, prescribed or not) can be used as an ADA-allowed mobility device. That is a QUESTION, not a statement, but the answer is now obviously no. Or, to clarify, you can choose to use an X2 (for example) as a mobility device, but don't expect to be accommodated in most buildings.

Thank you, Quadsquad, for clarifying this situation, which has been up for discussion MANY times over the years.

Having said that, the title of Quadsquad's posting "Obviously you've been here for nine years and learned absolutely nothing", along with "the rest of your thoughts are superfluous, unenlightened and uneducated BS." were unnecessary.

So, thanks for the information, but Chill, dude!
Civicsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 03:14 PM   #15
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

I think the Segway could be very beneficia to MANY people that have limitations in mobility. However, I'm not sure if Segways being "approved" as medical devices would be a good idea. From what I've seen, the cost doubles for anything that gets approved for purchase by Medicare. Imagine if a new Segway cost $12K. New batteries $3,500. Of course, the chances of Medicare ever buying Segways is slim to none.

I am a veteran, and I am wondering if the VA would ever purchase them. I believe the VA can purchase things that are not technically medical devices but still theraputic.

Anyway, I'm a bit off-topic from the original subject of this thread.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote