SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:57 AM   #1
Reckless
Reckless is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Smile Segway I2 SE vs Ninebot PTR E+

Over the weekend I visited a Segway dealer and test rode the Segway I2 and the Ninebot PTR (not the plus). First time for me to ride a segway style device. I walked in convinced I was going to purchase a Segway I2 but ended up leaning towards purchasing the Ninebot. They both rode nearly the same in the parking lot (at speeds of less than 6mph). The ninebot has the weight and footprint advantage not to mention cost. I am not sure if a ninebot can last 10+ years with regular battery changes (salesman mentioned that the battery only runs $400).

I do believe the segway is sturdier and built to last but will be a pain to transport. The ninebot is much easier to transport in the back of my SUV and can be removed just by me.

The only drawbacks I can find about the ninebot is that it is easier to face plant and may not be as reliable as the segway. In the parking lot the smaller tires didn't seem to make a difference and I would think would make it easier to travel indoors. I am the kind to use a device like this on smooth pavement and indoors. Not sure if the tires will leave marks. I did notice the ninebot feeling a bit twitchy but I think that is a result of the weight savings.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

Thank you for the insight. Hearing feedback from someone that isn't experienced with either machine is probably the most valuable (as you aren't really biased one way or the other from previous experiences.) I was in a Segway-vs-Ninebot situation myself. I bought a used i2 but was wondering if I should sell it and get a PTR. Thus far, I REALLY like the i2. I have ridden almost exclusively outdoors, so the solid feel of the i2 is definitely a benefit for me. Going forward, I plan to continue riding outdoors and on uneven terrain (sidewalks, bike paths, parking lots, etc...)

Also, my machine came with a SegSaddle installed. The adjustable handlebar height has been critical for finding the sweet spot between between seated and standing. Once I adjusted the handlebar height, the machine became even easier to use. I love it.

Once the Ninebot has been on the market for a little longer, I'm curious if we'll see all sorts of aftermarket parts popping up (as happened in the earlier years of the Segway.) The SegSaddle I've got is awesome, and I've yet to see anything comparable that works with the Ninebot.

If the i2 and PTR were closer in price, do you think buyers would still be torn between the two? As Reckless mentioned, lighter weight and $400 batteries are a huge selling point.
ions82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #3
Reckless

5 yr Member

I think the I2 might be better on uneven terrain but it will be a bit slower.

Personally, I am leaning towards the Blumil solution.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:56 PM   #4
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

The Blumil is great. A friend of mine wants me to make a custom version of it that is fit to him. I am also interested to see if the Nino will be developed any further or make it here to the U.S.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:05 PM   #5
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

The Blumil is great. A friend of mine wants me to make a custom version of it that is fit to him. I am also interested to see if the Nino will be developed any further or make it here to the U.S.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:25 PM   #6
Reckless

5 yr Member

I feel the Blumil is overpriced, $3500 for a bunch of metal tubes and an unpadded seat.

The Nino looks alot better, but heavier. I want to see if my dad can learn how to ride one of these.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:09 AM   #7
ions82
ions82

5 yr Member

I haven't seen the Blumil up close to understand if the price is warranted or not, but it does seem a bit overpriced. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the company has to pay HUGE insurance policies to be able to export to the U.S. I have worked with a German company that was in a similar situation. Because of the litigious nature here in the U.S., European manufacturers (esp those involved with any sort medical/health-related equipment) are required to pay exorbitant fees for insurance policies. There's a good chance that Blumil has to include such fees into the retail price.

The Blumils are probably also made in very small batches. A custom bicycle frame made of steel (and brazed or TIG welded together) runs about $1,500. The Blumil is much more complicated, so I can see how the cost might be more than that, but $3,500 is a big jump. Hopefully, I can get a better look at one to see if I can make something similar for my friend. Cool idea, but that price point is a killer.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:13 AM   #8
Reckless

5 yr Member

I will most likely pull the trigger and purchase it, just having a harder time I2 vs ninebot. I will most likely go with the ninebot ptr e+ (faster than the segway)
Old 08-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #9
PeteInLongBeach
PeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura aboutPeteInLongBeach has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
I will most likely pull the trigger and purchase it, just having a harder time I2 vs ninebot. I will most likely go with the ninebot ptr e+ (faster than the segway)
I don't know which "Segway" you think it's faster than, but the ninebot ptr e+ has the same top speed as a Segway i2 (which makes sense due to EPAMD laws), but it only has half the range.

http://www.segway.com/products/consu...bot-ptr-e-plus
PeteInLongBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:45 AM   #10
Reckless

5 yr Member

I think Segway is doing some careful marketing, everywhere I have read the plus with 680W lithium battery does 14.5 mph (double range). The E with 460w battery does 12.5 mph.

I accidentally ordered 2 Airspeed A3's. So the blumil ninebot may be a few months away. I think the A3 might be better for me but blumil better for my dad.