SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-29-2016, 05:10 AM   #11
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earmic View Post
So mine is an SE, since it has the light on the front (and back). Now a second question. I think I use to see these things just standing by themselves, motionless, and "self balancing" if you will. Can these do that? Is there a way to tell the year of manufacture?
relating to your question " I think I use to see these things just standing by themselves, motionless, and "self balancing" if you will" they do that when they are in "riderless balance mode." Step on the seg and then get off and it will balance, alternately just depress the "floor mats." There are foot sensor buttons underneath that once pressed, transition the seg into the balance mode.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:25 AM   #12
Earmic
Earmic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Unfortunately not. When I start the Segway up, it starts in stand by mode, one green led in the middle, when its ready to get onto, (in the right position). When I get on, and the sensor(s) are made, it goes to ride mode ( I think that is what its called) with the 5 green leds rotating in a circle. Fine. When I stop and get off, it remains in "ride mode" and I have to balance it by hand or it will start to move forward or backward, depending on which way it is leaning. It is weighted forward with the front carry bag. By momentarily pushing the power button, I can switch from ride to standby, vice versa, as long as I'm not on it. When in standby, the leveling is disabled, so it won't work that way, and when in ride mode, without a rider, (green leds circling,) it has a tendency to move forward, since it is weighted that way. I can lean it backward to stop it from moving, and hold it even to stop it, but it's like balancing a broom, it wont stay. Maybe I'm not leveling (trying hard enough) in this mode?
Earmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 11:46 AM   #13
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earmic View Post
Unfortunately not. When I start the Segway up, it starts in stand by mode, one green led in the middle, when its ready to get onto, (in the right position). When I get on, and the sensor(s) are made, it goes to ride mode ( I think that is what its called) with the 5 green leds rotating in a circle. Fine. When I stop and get off, it remains in "ride mode" and I have to balance it by hand or it will start to move forward or backward, depending on which way it is leaning. It is weighted forward with the front carry bag. By momentarily pushing the power button, I can switch from ride to standby, vice versa, as long as I'm not on it. When in standby, the leveling is disabled, so it won't work that way, and when in ride mode, without a rider, (green leds circling,) it has a tendency to move forward, since it is weighted that way. I can lean it backward to stop it from moving, and hold it even to stop it, but it's like balancing a broom, it wont stay. Maybe I'm not leveling (trying hard enough) in this mode?
I think your confusing models? The i2, X2, and SE's do not self balance, never have....You can lean them on a wall if your looking to cycle your batteries to discharge them?.....
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:20 PM   #14
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

We leave ours in the rider off mode leaning against a wall or something whenever we dismount. It keeps the Seg from rolling backwards and falling - I think that's what they mean by 'riderless balance mode' and it is a different mode than when you're riding it. If we go into a store or restaurant, we leave it like this too, but we put it in lock mode and take the Info Key with us

I've never heard of a Seg balancing by itself with nobody aboard

Don

Last edited by Don M; 09-30-2016 at 05:26 PM..
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:32 PM   #15
airdale
airdale will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don M View Post

I've never heard of a Seg balancing by itself with nobody aboard

Don
First gen did.
airdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:43 PM   #16
fathertime
fathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to allfathertime is a name known to all

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Smile

It was only the "E" Series 167 that had self-balancing mode with no rider aboard.
LaGrange, Il. 60525
(708) 352-1685
fathertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:56 PM   #17
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
First gen did.
Well, that shows you what little I know. I stand corrected

When I was researching prior to buying our Segs, I only read enough about the First Gen machines to know that I wanted an I2 . . . . and I haven't done any First Gen research since

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:19 AM   #18
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdale View Post
First gen did.
I have an I2 and an SE. I suspect there is some confusion as to the term "self balancing." Both the I2 and the SE will remain vertical without someone mounted once you depress the foot sensors. Its called "riderless balance mode." if you put the handlebar against an obstruction to keep it from traveling forward, it will remain upright. If you take it out of self-balance mode and don't hold it vertical, it will topple over. It has a built-in forward lean to the leensteer and tries to move forward, but it will stay upright. Perhaps instead of self-balancing, they are indicting "stationary". Neither the I2 nor the SE will remain stationary and upright, staying in one spot. But they do stay upright.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:19 PM   #19
CARIBE
CARIBE

5 yr Member
Default Gen 1 off-board chargers

Anyone know of a website that sells off-bard cable and charger for
Gen 1 Segway i67
CARIBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:47 PM   #20
Earmic
Earmic is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Thanks to everyone for their posts on this.
Earmic is offline   Reply With Quote