SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-14-2016, 04:16 AM   #1
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Default My MTO Battery experience...

...was a great one. The used batteries I've been gliding on my first-generation Segway (i170) for the last 5+ years wouldn't take me much more than a couple miles and always seemed to be grumpy. Sometimes my Seg wouldn't even start, or would start, then die before I got to the corner (I was usually able to start again and keep going). I use my Seg as a mobility aide, so it was important I had reliable transportation.

MTO was having a sale on rebuilt li-ions and I got my order in just under the wire. Twenty-four days later, the batteries arrived. Quick service. I spent the last couple days waiting by "freshening" up my Seg - some touch-up paint, clean the bag, polish the wheels and tires. I mounted the batteries and started the Seg up. Full bars.

The short glide I went on to test it out was very satisfying. I didn't realized my old batteries weren't capable of full speed gliding. The frowny-face was all too common and it was always a gamble if it would even start anymore. Freshly rebuilt batteries changed all that. I wasn't used to how fast my Seg goes with my 21" diameter scooter tires - it had been such a long time. Powering around corners, even catching a little slide on a sandy surface is a thrill. I only planned to go a couple miles, since I was told it only had a partial charge, but my old batteries could barely go 2 miles before it got to the last bar (I never experienced complete drain, but sure worried about it). By the time I got back home, the indicator was only down one bar, so even that partial charge could have taken me several miles, I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to a long glide tomorrow. It'll take a few discharge/recharge cycles to settle in, so I hope the next few days will get me used to longer glides, like I used to do. It's 8 miles into town and back home and another 4-6 miles if I go out on some horse trails the other side of town and all the way to the college. There's lots of great trails and abandoned logging roads.

I'm looking forward to putting that Segway smile back on my face. Thanks to MTO Battery for a great deal and great quality work.

Jim

eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 05:32 AM   #2
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJM View Post
...was a great one. The used batteries I've been gliding on my first-generation Segway (i170) for the last 5+ years wouldn't take me much more than a couple miles and always seemed to be grumpy. Sometimes my Seg wouldn't even start, or would start, then die before I got to the corner (I was usually able to start again and keep going). I use my Seg as a mobility aide, so it was important I had reliable transportation.

MTO was having a sale on rebuilt li-ions and I got my order in just under the wire. Twenty-four days later, the batteries arrived. Quick service. I spent the last couple days waiting by "freshening" up my Seg - some touch-up paint, clean the bag, polish the wheels and tires. I mounted the batteries and started the Seg up. Full bars.

The short glide I went on to test it out was very satisfying. I didn't realized my old batteries weren't capable of full speed gliding. The frowny-face was all too common and it was always a gamble if it would even start anymore. Freshly rebuilt batteries changed all that. I wasn't used to how fast my Seg goes with my 21" diameter scooter tires - it had been such a long time. Powering around corners, even catching a little slide on a sandy surface is a thrill. I only planned to go a couple miles, since I was told it only had a partial charge, but my old batteries could barely go 2 miles before it got to the last bar (I never experienced complete drain, but sure worried about it). By the time I got back home, the indicator was only down one bar, so even that partial charge could have taken me several miles, I'm sure.

I'm looking forward to a long glide tomorrow. It'll take a few discharge/recharge cycles to settle in, so I hope the next few days will get me used to longer glides, like I used to do. It's 8 miles into town and back home and another 4-6 miles if I go out on some horse trails the other side of town and all the way to the college. There's lots of great trails and abandoned logging roads.

I'm looking forward to putting that Segway smile back on my face. Thanks to MTO Battery for a great deal and great quality work.

Jim

You look great back in the saddle, Jim. Ready for some adventure.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 12:49 PM   #3
eJM
Account Suspended
eJM will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

That photo represents how I feel and how my Seg looks, but it is an old photo - 2011. I have a couple more wrinkles now.
eJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 01:25 PM   #4
MTOBATTERY
MTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura aboutMTOBATTERY has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Thanks Jim! We enjoyed working with you as well.
MTOBATTERY is offline   Reply With Quote