SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:33 PM   #11
Gihgehls
Gihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really niceGihgehls is just really nice

5 yr Member

re: high mileage segways

http://forums.segwaychat.org/showthread.php?t=24002

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"...if you insist on being imprecise in use and unique in definition, you should hardly be surprised that your attempts at communication are poorly understood." -a wise man
Gihgehls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 03:19 PM   #12
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Lily,
I use a P133. I bought my Segway in 2003 from the dealer in Celebration, FL. I don't know how many miles I glided since then but I'm on my second set of tires. I also travel with my Segway and being vertically challenged it sure is a big step saver for someone like me. When you calculate the fact that I take 2 to 3 steeps to cover the same distance and average size person takes to travel the same distance. I have never understood why some want to limit the use of Segway's in certain pedestrian areas thinking they are a risk to others while they never seem to worry about 3 and 4 wheel mobility devices with a disabled driver and 2 or 3 kids hanging off the front and back of the scooter to travel the pedestrian area without concern.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 05:47 PM   #13
terryp
terryp has a spectacular aura aboutterryp has a spectacular aura about

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteInLongBeach View Post
Lily, terryp seems to have the most miles on his machine, so hopefully he will reply to the thread, or you can PM him.
Hi Lily,

My oldest i2 has logged 11,300 miles without a hiccup, and is still giving a 20 mile range (on summer days) on the original batteries! I doubt that's a record, because I think it's been several years since someone reported noticing how the mileage display changed when theirs rolled over at 10K (winking eye).

My advice for safe usage is to watch out for anything that could hang up a wheel, and to bend your knees when going over bumps or rough ground.

I have yet to hear of anyone running into a pedestrian with one, let alone causing injury by doing so.

BTW - I gave a demo to a Parkinson's group at a local hospital about ten years ago, and everyone successfully rode it (i167) in the hospital hallway without a problem. You many know that the Segway can actually reduce shaking in those with Parkinson's.

Good luck with your video.
Old 09-24-2014, 07:29 PM   #14
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

Why would a kid without a disability want or need to operate an electric personal assistive mobility device or a Segway legally being used as a personal assitive mobility device?
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
dale@thecoys.net
dale@thecoys.net will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickb View Post
Why would a kid without a disability want or need to operate an electric personal assistive mobility device or a Segway legally being used as a personal assitive mobility device?
I'm not sure I understand your question.

My grandkids like to operate our Segways. It's fun. It provides transportation. Those are the same reasons I like to operate our Segways.

I'm sure I am missing some point here.
dale@thecoys.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 09:36 PM   #16
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
I get this kind of a question all the time, as my segway is a mobility device. EVERY segway is a mobility device. I am simply more mobile on a segway than when not on one.

If I were disabled, and unable to ambulate 100 yards, or if I were an Olympic class runner, able to ambulate 1000s of yards easily, I would still be more mobile on a segway rather than off one.

Fun is the leveler.

I have a friend in a neighboring town, and we used to segway together. (I have not seen him for a while, but did enjoy our glides together...)

He and I are both white bald men, a bit heavier than we should be, about the same age. (I am in my mid 50s). If we were walking long distances, or doing strenuous tasks, I suspect we would be perceived differently, as he has COPD, and I do not. While on foot, he would fade faster than I.

But, when we were both on our segways, we were twins. I have better health on some levels, but on the segways, we were almost identical. The disadvantages of his condition were mitigated by his segway, but he was not just keeping up with me, because if I were on foot and he on segway, he would have been much more mobile than I.

If I were to assign a numerical scale to the ability to travel a mile, I might say I had the ability of 10, and he had the ability of 4 or 5, yet on our segways, we both were at a solid 20.

Not all mobility devices are created equal. These numbers and comments do not apply to wheel chairs the same way they apply to segways. The nice thing is, however, most anyone who can use a segway, can use a segway in a most similar manner as anyone else who can use a segway. Most all differences fade away...

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 10:27 PM   #17
rickb
rickb is an unknown quantity at this point

5 yr Member

I gathered that the issue related specifically to kids with disabilities using Segways as a personal assisted mobility device.............not just for mobility in general. I obviously misunderstood.
rickb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 06:57 AM   #18
rwoynaro
rwoynaro is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
I gathered that the issue related specifically to kids with disabilities using Segways as a personal assisted mobility device.............not just for mobility in general. I obviously misunderstood.
Just gonna add in my views, maybe they are relevent, maybe nuts

I am frquently "disabled" and frequently use my segway "as a EPMAD, "electronic personal mobility assistive device." Other times not so much. Its all basically a state of mind for the most part. I became disabled when I decided I wanted a handicapped parking placard and went to the doc and got the forms approved. Yes, I do have significant physical conditions that include me in the category of people that get those things. But until I got the form, I was not "disabled," legally. Sometimes I have great days and I just walk or go for a glide for the fun of it, other days, I am really disabled and need the segway to get around at all. I only bring it up as I am frequently asked about using the segway for my disability. In my experience, it all gets down to how/when/where you want to use the segway, and if you categorize yourself as disabled (can require some legal things like forms, diagnosises, etc) you can use it where otherwise you would not legally be able to do so. That's about 90 % of the issue. I have found the display of a handicap placard generally makes all the difference in the world, even though if I don't display it on the leansteer, I am just as disabled or not disabled, depending on one's (including my own) view at the time.

Just my experience of things. I will end by saying I am lucky in that I get to experience the kindness, goodness, and support of the general population when they see me on a daily basis, and for that I am very very greatful, humbled by the kindness of the human spirit, and also encouraged about the state of mankind at times. Have a great day.
rwoynaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 02:09 PM   #19
Lily Kerns
Lily Kerns will become famous soon enoughLily Kerns will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Most people are kind and caring...and curious. Ignorance without curiosity is what seems to create problems.
Lily Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 05:42 PM   #20
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily Kerns View Post
Most people are kind and caring...and curious. Ignorance without curiosity is what seems to create problems.
WOW!

That is not just the problem with segway access, that is the problem with the planetary society...

Well said!

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote