SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Other Topics > Science and Technology

Notices

Science and Technology Science & technology discussions not related to the Segway. This includes discussion of Segway knockoffs and clones.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:27 AM   #1
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner
Lightbulb Smart's eBike looks funky

http://uk.smart.com/products-ebike/1...8-c890cbee8d09

PS - just watching MIB3 and they have those 3 wheel trike things we see the Police using. If I worked for MIB, I'd demand a Segway!
Old 12-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
JohnM
JohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of lightJohnM is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member

Overpriced at $3700. For about $1000 you can retro-fit the same Bionx electric assist used by Smart to the bike you probably have gathering dust in your shed.
RUSA #235
UMCA #

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:40 PM   #3
gbrandwood
Advanced Member
gbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the roughgbrandwood is a jewel in the rough

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

My experience of Smart is that everything is overpriced! I bought a LHD import back in 2001 (what is now called a "ForTwo"), followed by a RHD Roadster in 2003. Like a Segway, that Smart logo makes things cost a lot of money.

But, cost aside, it looks nice and fits well with the brand. I know Smart (or Daimler/Chrysler) registered the name "ForOne" at some point and I suspected that they were going to bring out a motorbike or Segway type vehicle - never thought about an eBike.

We'll see how it goes.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 PM   #4
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post
Overpriced at $3700. For about $1000 you can retro-fit the same Bionx electric assist used by Smart to the bike you probably have gathering dust in your shed.
They seemed excited about the belt drive, instead of a chain. You seem to be somewhat of a sprocket headed fellow, how do you feel about this? Is it significant?

My question with it would be that of gearing. Most bike gearing I know of simply consists of a series of sprocket of varying sizes, and a device that moves the chain laterally. I suppose a similar arrangement could be in place for a toothed belt, but they do not work the same, so I suspect not.

I do recall a 3 speed axle/transmission that existed on some bikes of my youth, but I do not recall ever owning one, nor taking one apart. I suppose that may be in play here, or something like it.

A single speed bike seems less than efficient for today's commuter, though it would still work okay, especially with the electric assist for the up hills.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
Old 12-25-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSagal View Post
They seemed excited about the belt drive, instead of a chain. You seem to be somewhat of a sprocket headed fellow, how do you feel about this? Is it significant?

My question with it would be that of gearing. Most bike gearing I know of simply consists of a series of sprocket of varying sizes, and a device that moves the chain laterally. I suppose a similar arrangement could be in place for a toothed belt, but they do not work the same, so I suspect not.

I do recall a 3 speed axle/transmission that existed on some bikes of my youth, but I do not recall ever owning one, nor taking one apart. I suppose that may be in play here, or something like it.

A single speed bike seems less than efficient for today's commuter, though it would still work okay, especially with the electric assist for the up hills.
The brochure indicates it does have a 3-speed hub.

3-speed hubs are pretty solid technology these days -- they make hubs with a lot more speeds than that. But the classic 3-speed hub is based on planetary gears, with a clutch mechanism varying whether the drive is applied to the housing, the sun gear, or the planetary carrier.

I don't know if it was the very first, but Sturmy-Archer's patent was granted in 1902. It was old technology when we were kids. And certainly more reliable and robust than derailleurs.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.