SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion > Reference Information & How-To's

Notices

Reference Information & How-To's Valuable reference information, stolen Segway reporting, how-to's, error codes & more.

Old 03-20-2012, 02:04 PM   #1
Practical Endeavours
Practical Endeavours is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member
Default New Member

Hello and thanx for including me as a member.

I just purchased an i180 last week. Tried it out briefly in the gentleman's garage, ran to the bank for the cash and then took it home and had the most fantastic couple hours of fun and excitement. It ran like a dream while I practiced basic moves and obstacles then I put it to the test with some "high speed" cruisin'.

I was told this unit has been plugged in as described in the manual immediately after each use since new. My curiosity to determine the full life of the battery and my concern of "battery memory" possibilities lead me to ride it until the “Safety Shutdown” kicked in. I was performing stationary movements when the warning went off at which time it got rather aggressive to control until I managed a manual shutdown/power off using the “Mode Button”.

After a night like at kid on Christmas Eve and now my Segway fully charged, I jumped on it ready for my second and next adventure. I maneuvered it away from the house and hit the highway. I no sooner got it up to speed and it then started shutting down. Very aggressively and at a high, reverse speed. I walked it back to the house played around with some maneuvers then thought to try another run. Almost to the exact point it warned me then proceeded to beat me in the shines until I managed to get it to a full shutdown/power off with the “Mode Button”.

Then after skimming through my “reference manual” I decided that perhaps the slight decline I road down the two previous beatings may have caused an over charge warning due to “Regenerative Braking” resulting in a “Safety Shutdown” but I am for sure certain that this is not the “shutdown” characteristics described in the manual.

Ok, then I had to go to work!

When I got back home a couple days later I was impressed to find the “Battery Charge Level Display” indicated no power loss during the days it sat unplugged from charging and I proceeded on a ride determined to drain some power before getting too adventurous. I had segments of carefree fun before each time getting into a brawl on the streets with my newfound amusement. At times with sounds of screeching rubber on asphalt, before I was able to subdue the beast. I was quick to realize the importance of maintaining level while grasping for the “Mode Button” at first attributing this to be the cause of high-speed backups into my shines. Each of many instances that have occurred since the first and only time I charged the batteries have been random circumstances of differing situations resulting in the same demise.

I was provided along with the sale a copy of a current e-mail from Segway , confirming that the software update was performed in 2006 on this unit and I was told that is this is why when at start up at the sellers house it started up in “Balance Mode” and that the “Power Assist Mode” was eliminated in the updated software. Noting that it ran perfect in this way, but now after I drained and recharged the battery only the once the “Power Assist Mode” comes on and functions as described in the “rider’s guide”.
With all that said, can anyone contribute any thoughts, ideas or information pertaining to the i180’s? Does anyone know what the update did change? Does the “Power Assist Mode” somehow being reactivated in one charge cycle cause my malfunction?

I look forward to exploring this site more in depth and appreciate any feedback.

I am bound and determined to get another afternoon of carefree cruzin’ in soon!

Jim
Practical Endeavours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

Something that comes to mind is the potential that one of the rider detect switches is stuck down. That would cause some of the symptoms that you mentioned.

I have not had a generation 1 machine like yours for several years, but I do not recall that the power assist mode went away after the 2006 recall. I thought it was there afterwards, and did not go away untill they stopped making that generation of machine.

The rider detect switches are most easily seen under the mat. They look to be 4 black rubber knobs that stick up from the aluminum, 2 on each side. They are meant to be depressed when you stand on the mat.

From time to time, one gets stuck down, often because of grit under the mat.

I believe the actual function of them is that they are small plastic paddles under those rubber covers, and the paddles are pushed down into the path of some photo interrupters on the main boards. (I could be mistaken here)

The reason they are important, is that you cannot go into power assist if one is engaged. (because the machine thinks someone is on the segway.)

Also, if not all 4 of the interrupters are engaged, then the machine will go into reduced performance mode, and give you a less than happy face.

I am not real sure of your description of the shut down either, but if the machine feels that a person is still on the platform, it will not shut down the same way it would if it knows all 4 interrupters are clear.

You surely would get better advice if you took your machine to a good service dealer, but if not, these are my initial thoughts,, based on your posting…

Good luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:01 AM   #3
Practical Endeavours

5 yr Member

I certainly appreciate your response and knowledge.

I did remove the mat the other day and did discover the rider detect switches with thoughts as you had mentioned. Perhaps I will wipe down the surface area and give it another try before disassembling anything further. It's reassuring to think it could be simple enough to rectify with a good cleaning of contacts.

Thanx
Jim
Old 03-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
Bob.Kerns
Advanced Member
Bob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of lightBob.Kerns is a glorious beacon of light

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner

I will add that, if the rider detect switches are activated, it will be very aggressive in trying to balance -- for the supposed rider's safety.

The best thing to do in that case is to help it seek a level position. If it's happy about its position, it won't be aggressively trying to balance.

You can also point it at a wall, and let it tend itself.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Obviously, we can't have infinite voltage, or the universe would tear itself to shreds, and we wouldn't be discussing Segways.
Bob.Kerns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Practical Endeavours

5 yr Member
Default Ok I'm getting the hang of it now...

I haven't taken a shin beating since I've learned to ride out the Safety Shutdown. I realize now the aggression while trying to turn my Segway i180 off due to a Safety Shutdown Warning was caused by me trying to observe the Display while grasping for the Mode Button. and pulling it towards myself.
I am still having irregular shutdowns though. It seems to happen most often when someone is around...lol... Nothing I am doing seems consistent. All will be good, gliding along with a green happy face, then suddenly a red sad face with streak lines to the left...I get off...shut it down...start it up...and go again...
I am now considering taking it in for service and or inspection and would like to hear some opinions in regards to the ability for diagnosis. Is it as simple as hooking up to a diagnostic machine with accurate results? I am concerned about getting into a situation of an open wallet to someone who changes parts until the problem is solved without the knowledge of a diagnostic.

Again Thanx for Any responses in advance,
Jim
Old 04-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Practical Endeavours

5 yr Member
Default I got New Lithium Ion Batteries and Life is Grand!

I took my Segway i180 to Segway of Ontario at the Distillery District in Toronto where I had previously been to take their tour and Jason hooked me up with some new Lithium Ion batteries.

I was reluctant to make the purchase even though he basically confirmed his diagnosis by allowing me to test out a good set he had onsite.

I went home empty handed and contemplated having my Nickle Metal Hydride Batteries rebuilt, the costs and the additional downtime including shipping...so then I called Jason back and placed my order for the new batteries.

Life is Grand!...I've been all over with this little work horse putting it to the tests and now confident to start using it for my regular 3.5km commute to work.

I am now awaiting my new "BackPack Cooler" from eBay to transport my lunch and work necessities daily, but I do hope to find a side bag and bracket for an i180 that I can have shipped to Postal Code N1R8E8 for a reasonable price. I need tires too, but have just begun the search on them and would appreciate to know specifically some proven substitutes for the original Michelin 100/65 14's that are on it. I've spent some time checking the Posts was was unable to determine if anyone has a definite substitute that I wouldn't have to modify anything in any way.

I listed my Nickle Metal Hydride Batteries for sale on eBay hoping to rummage up some cash towards my next upgrades.

Safe Gliding to All
Jim
Old 04-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #7
KSagal
Glides a lot, talks more...
KSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud ofKSagal has much to be proud of

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner SegwayFest Attendee

You surely can sell the old batteries, but you may want to consider sending them to MTO for a rebuild instead.

You cannot fly with your machine and the new LiIon batteries you bought, but you can fly with your machine and the older NiMH batteries. (rebuilt or not)

If you plan to go on vacation or traveling, this may be an important consideration.

"Well done is better than well said." (Ben Franklin)
Bene factum melior bene dictum

Proud past President of SEG America and member of the First Premier Segway Enthusiasts Group and subsequent ones as well.
KSagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:41 AM   #8
Practical Endeavours

5 yr Member

Thanx Karl,
I have read that many may have a use for they're Segway while on vacation or perhaps even on a business trip...but I think it's safe to say mine won't be leaving the ground...lol

Jim