SegwayChat
Home . Old Gallery

Go Back   SegwayChat > Segway Forums > Segway General Discussion

Notices

Segway General Discussion General discussion related to any model of Segways, miniPROs, or Ninebots. Please do not post non-Segway technology posts here; use the technology forum instead.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM   #1
GregRice
GregRice will become famous soon enough

5 yr Member
Default A Liability Issue?

Seems the 800 pound gorilla or should I say mouse has reared it’s head and flexed its muscles once again by denying a disabled man entrance into “The happiest place on earth.” Seems it will never end. It’s funny how Disney claims it’s a liability issue, yet they’ll rent to anyone one of their mobility scooters to people who have never driven one them. Talking about a liability.

http://www.fightful.com/magnum-ta-re...egway-mobility

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GregRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:41 PM   #2
Don M
Don M is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

The National Park Service restricts the use of Segs in some places too. We were asked to take our Segs outside the park when visiting the St Louis Arch. If I understood the ranger correctly, we may have been allowed to use them if we had some sort of paperwork stating we were disabled and required them to get around

We never argue when asked to leave any place that restricts their use. Sad to say, I've seen a few riders I wouldn't let on the premises if I had anything to say about it. Not everyone realizes the injuries they could cause sharing the sidewalk with pedestrians

I think I do understand the liability issues very well. If you hit someone with your car and injure them, you're required to have insurance to cover the cost of the damage you caused. I don't see why Segs should be considered any differently - If you mow somebody down on a sidewalk, the injured party should have some way to collect from the party responsible for their injuries, shouldn't they?

As far as Disney is concerned, I imagine they must have liability insurance to cover any accidents which may result from the equipment they rent. I guess they might be able to allow anyone to bring their own equipment on the premises *if* there was some way for their liability insurance to cover any accident caused by anyone riding anything, but I bet that would greatly increase the cost of their insurance. If they offered to sell a policy for $50 a day (or whatever it cost them) I'm sure not everyone would be very happy either

I suppose the best way to not be held liable is to not allow private machines. If a person on his/her own machine caused a severe injury or death to another patron, I'm sure Disney would be sued and probably for millions of dollars

Don
Don M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregRice View Post
Seems the 800 pound gorilla or should I say mouse has reared it’s head and flexed its muscles once again by denying a disabled man entrance into “The happiest place on earth.” Seems it will never end. It’s funny how Disney claims it’s a liability issue, yet they’ll rent to anyone one of their mobility scooters to people who have never driven one them. Talking about a liability.

http://www.fightful.com/magnum-ta-re...egway-mobility
Are you comparing the injuries and damage that could happen with an out of control 4mph electric scooter with a 13.5 mph highly maneuverable Segway i2? Has anyone ever been hurt or killed by one of those mobility electric scooters? Seems unlikely. Has anyone been hurt or killed by a Segway? Seems likely.

"Ahhhhieeee, the old lady is coming right at me at 2mph on that scooter with easily predicted arch of turn!"

Disney saw this video and considered the damage liability. The guy at 1:50 would be a horror in a crowd:
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:55 PM   #4
rotorblades
rotorblades is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member HT/PT Owner Segway Polo Player SegwayFest Attendee
Exclamation

[file anADA complaint with the US department of justiceoops an old post
rotorblades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:51 PM   #5
Pescador12
Pescador12 is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorblades View Post
[file anADA complaint with the US department of justiceoops an old post
Won't help. It is established on the DOJ website that alternate mobility devices (Segways, golf carts, boosted boards) can be banned if the manager of an area deems them a hazard. Though someone here noted that the organization most likely has to document those hazards. Disney lawyers likely did.

13.5 mph devices that weigh 100lbs are a hazard. Kill Dozer type hazard. Segway's owner found out the hard way.

Electric wheel chairs (scooters) are mobility devices that can't be banned
Pescador12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:20 PM   #6
michiganmike
michiganmike is on a distinguished road

5 yr Member

A Big Thanks for posting the Youtube Video of Segway Fails....I just picked up a used Ninebot miniPRO and have only played around with it once ....after watching the video, I am definitely going to get a helmet , knee and elbow guards.
michiganmike is offline   Reply With Quote